sex in the work place...really?

Nurses Relations

Published

So I'm watching television.... nursing and hospital shows of course...and they are always showing someone in these shows who is in love with another nurse, or doctor and they always end up having sex while in the hospital. My question is does this really go on at the workplace? How many of you have witness this, heard about it happening, or was one of the parties involved?:yeah:

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.

What a beautiful story, ozone. If only people could see the scenarios etched in our minds like that, those things that happen over the years that grab us and won't let go. I'd like sometimes to mentally transfer it to new nurses and students when they ask "what's it like to be a nurse?"

despite all the venting we nurses do, nursing really is such a privilege.

leslie

Specializes in Acute post op ortho.

That's exactly what it is, a privilege.

There have been many times in my career when I wished it away.

I wished I didn't know so much, didn't see so much, didn't care so much.

In the end, no matter how hard it was, I wanted to be there.

To be there for the woman no one ever visited...

sit in her room & do my charting through out the night.....

"I'm here"......

when she called out for a loved one,

hold her hand when she reached...

looking for a connection....

A connection now broken, by time or circumstance....

I don't know why she's alone, perhaps she's all that's left of a family now gone. Maybe there's been an un-mended hurt that's gotten in the way....time & wrongs...whether real or imagined, can leave a soul, alone & frightened, dying with no one to care, no one to say "I love you"...that one last time.

I may not be Charlotte or Mark.

I may not be "sister" or" beloved spouse."

I'm may not be the one she's searching for......

But.

"I'm here."

And I thank God for this blessing,

for this privilege.

I thank God for giving me the opportunity to be able to say......

"I'm here."

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Hospice, yep you bet. I think that is great. But between employees in the work place? YUCK!!!!!!

Almost all my hospice patients are in their own homes so I haven't set anything up like Leslie did.

I do remember one elderly couple, when I was still working acute. She was hospitalized with cancer - he never left her side. I'd come in and catch them kissing, passionately. Very sweet. He recently died - 12 years after she did - of Alzheimers.

As to the OP's question - "sex in the work place . . .really?"

YEP! One of our docs in particular .. . . and he didn't just woo the nurses - sometimes it was office staff.

There is a very very small club here called "Nurses Who Didn't Sleep with Dr. So and So". I'm a member! :D

There have been other threads asking this question - I always refer folks to the book "House of God". THAT doc slept with everyone from housekeepers to social workers to nurses to other docs . . .. :rolleyes: It is a classic book - and very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_God

steph

Hospice, yep you bet. I think that is great. But between employees in the work place? YUCK!!!!!!

It happens . . . . :rolleyes::D

steph

Specializes in Emergency Dept. Trauma. Pediatrics.

When I did clinicals at the LTC facility I know we were told we have to keep a good eye on the residents in the secured unit because they have been busted having sex a lot of times because they forget they are married and stuff.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Academics.
When I did clinicals at the LTC facility I know we were told we have to keep a good eye on the residents in the secured unit because they have been busted having sex a lot of times because they forget they are married and stuff.

You know, I'm of two minds about sex among residents of residential facilites. On one hand, the staff has to make sure no one gets pregnant (such as in MR/DD facilities), no one is being forced against his/her will, and no one is spreading STDs or other infectious diseases. On the other hand, this is their home, and they are adults.

I don't know...

You know, I'm of two minds about sex among residents of residential facilites. On one hand, the staff has to make sure no one gets pregnant (such as in MR/DD facilities), no one is being forced against his/her will, and no one is spreading STDs or other infectious diseases. On the other hand, this is their home, and they are adults.

I don't know...

I think the problem in the unit was, these are dementia patients in the secure unit because they are high wander risks and stuff to, they often had spouses that came in to visit them but the reason they were having sex with each other is because they didn't know their lives anymore and stuff. The rest of the facility we were basically told, if it looks like no one is being harmed or in danger, quietly exit the room and just make someone aware just in case something happened.

I never came across anything though.

I'm am sort of on the same lines as you. Just because someone can no longer live at home I don't think they should never have these needs met again. I mean it must be hard enough to have to be in a new place and stuff as it is. SO I am with the concensus that as long as no one is being harmed and it's done privately. Go for it.

Specializes in PACU, CARDIAC ICU, TRAUMA, SICU, LTC.

"House of God"......I remember reading that book way back when..definitely a classic.

what happens to people that sleep around at work? Do they get fired ?

what happens to people that sleep around at work? Do they get fired ?

They might get promoted, just depends who they are sleeping with LOL :p

+ Add a Comment