Non-Hospital Nursing

Updated:   Published

nurses-leave-hospital-setting.jpg.692b94a0bc12a2b177c9c5f739fab973.jpg

I thought I was giving up on nursing,  but now I have 2 easy nursing gigs. I'm doing a little home infusion.  I am also doing a part-time occupational health nurse gig at a construction site for a data center. That consists mainly of watching Youtube videos and getting free food from the general contractor snack room.

I'm definitely semi-retired now, and making decent money with not a lot of stress. I also pretty much don't have to wear masks, no one expects it at the construction site of course. And my home infusion clients really don't care either. I'm also not having to deal with a bunch of estrogen driven drama. That is a huge plus!

I'd like to hear from others who have escaped the hospital setting.

I'd like to hear too because hospital nursing is starting to feel like the stress hole where nurses go to die young.

Your situation sounds amazing, and I'm happy for you. I can only hope it starts to feel better for me soon as a new nurse. Might just get my 1 year of hospital experience and say peace out on inpatient. 

Has 33 years experience.

Excellent  exit strategy. I escaped by working for an insurance company.

Davey Do

1 Article; 10,193 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years). Has 44 years experience.

About 15 of my 40+ years in nursing were spent out of the hospital, working in clinics, HH agencies, and LTC facilities. In reflection of your request, Emergent, I can now see that the hospital nursing years were the best and the worst.

Basically, the first 7 years back in the 80's of my nursing career was working in a community hospital. The last 17 years in the 2000's were spent working in a medical center. I went from being a fresh, young idealistic nurse to being a cynical old burned out nurse dude.

From my perspective in the end, hospital nursing seems like it was more intense and smothering. Social experiments I did with mice as an adolescent showed that if more than 8 mice live in a square foot area, disharmony occurs. The same is true with human beings in a hospital setting.

 

ThePrincessBride, MSN, RN, NP

1 Article; 2,592 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, NICU. Has 8 years experience.

Hospital nursing is so overrated and after over seven years as a RN and another 3 as a nursing assistant/patient sitter, I'm over it. 

If only more outpatient jobs weren't a typical Monday through Friday...I would have left it sooner rather than later, but five days a week isn't for the weak.

LibraSunCNM, MSN

1,616 Posts

Specializes in OB. Has 10 years experience.
8 hours ago, Emergent said:

I thought I was giving up on nursing,  but now I have 2 easy nursing gigs. I'm doing a little home infusion.  I am also doing a part-time occupational health nurse gig at a construction site for a data center. That consists mainly of watching Youtube videos and getting free food from the general contractor snack room.

I'm definitely semi-retired now, and making decent money with not a lot of stress. I also pretty much don't have to wear masks, no one expects it at the construction site of course. And my home infusion clients really don't care either. I'm also not having to deal with a bunch of estrogen driven drama. That is a huge plus!

I'd like to hear from others who have escaped the hospital setting.

Do you still have your gig at the farm store?

 

Emergent, RN

2 Articles; 4,063 Posts

Specializes in ER. Has 30 years experience.
1 hour ago, LibraSunCNM said:

Do you still have your gig at the farm store?

 

No. 

Davey Do

1 Article; 10,193 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years). Has 44 years experience.
On 4/22/2022 at 6:06 PM, LibraSunCNM said:

Do you still have your gig at the farm store?

On 4/22/2022 at 7:58 PM, Emergent said:

No. 

Don't be so verbose, Emergent.

When someone asks me a question that I'd rather not go into detail about, I quote a line from the movie Wonder Boys:

"There's a story behind it, but it's not very interesting."

This saves me the drudgery of explanation and them the freedom from boredom.

Emergent, RN

2 Articles; 4,063 Posts

Specializes in ER. Has 30 years experience.
On 4/23/2022 at 9:44 AM, Davey Do said:

Don't be so verbose, Emergent.

When someone asks me a question that I'd rather not go into detail about, I quote a line from the movie Wonder Boys:

"There's a story behind it, but it's not very interesting."

This saves me the drudgery of explanation and them the freedom from boredom.

There's no story to tell. It was a great job for a while but then I found some non-hospital nursing gigs. I really liked the customers although there was definitely some estrogen-driven drama there, of the teenage variety. But I was ready to get back into nursing and make decent money again, and discovered that there are some really good, non-hospital nursing jobs out there.

Davey Do

1 Article; 10,193 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years). Has 44 years experience.

Good for you, Emergent!

Once more, the world moves
A little more in greased grooves.

2BS Nurse, BSN

677 Posts

Has 10 years experience.

 "Social experiments I did with mice as an adolescent showed that if more than 8 mice live in a square foot area, disharmony occurs. The same is true with human beings in a hospital setting".

This is true of ANY nurses' station! In the clinic I would say "we are working in a windowless submarine!" We were constantly moving out of the way, running into one another, and were held hostage listening to coworkers' drama!

HiddenAngels

790 Posts

Has 9 years experience.
On 4/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, ThePrincessBride said:

If only more outpatient jobs weren't a typical Monday through Friday...I would have left it sooner rather than later, but five days a week isn't for the weak.

Ah, such a great point you make here!