Jump to content

Home health nurse working as a maid?

Home Health   (2,957 Views | 50 Replies)

10,214 Profile Views; 425 Posts

Hello! I hope everyone is safe during this his time.

My dilemma is I work for a small home health agency. I love the company and the hours, as it allow for me to study for my RN ( currently an Lpn).

Well one of my pt while she’s sweet and her family is OK. The things I experience there is starting to bother me. They have this motto as if your job is in my hands sort of thing. Like you have to do whatever, plus they down talk the other nurses which also upsets me. I tell them to let the manager know their concerns.

But these are some of the scenarios. My pt is 30, has a Trach but does everything else, smoke, drive, walk, can cook.. everything.

Somehow she doesn’t want to do anything. I make her bed and take out the trash for the whole house and will wash dishes occasionally.

She babysits her nephew who’s one. The baby will be up ( while my pt is sleeping) asking for food and drink. ( mind you I can’t eat while there because the baby and my pt begs for my lunch)

She will have her nieces and nephews over and they’ll make a mess, her and her family expects for me to clean up, vacuum and wash dishes.

The baby has a poopy diaper ( they expect for me to take it to the trash) they live in a apartment complex so it’s a walk.

If someone in the family is sick they bring them to me? For me to assess them. I ask them to f/u with their PCP.

Then my pt and her mom will talk about all of their financial issues in front of me.

My pt asked me to buy her $240 pair of shoes

$150 birthday cake.

shes always asking for things and to come to my home.

My pt is a lesbian I have nothing against LBGT.

but she makes comments like “ set me up with a girl like you” or sits to close to me and tries to touch my hand.

when family is over she’ll say things like it’s clothes in the dryer or things like she’s giving commands. Asks me to organize her closet and drawers.

Like I said it’s only two cases right now and both are full. What should I do? Am I being too harsh and over the top ?

Edited by mzsuccess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BSNbeDONE has 34 years experience as a ASN, BSN, LPN, RN and specializes in Med/Surg, LTACH, LTC, Home Health.

2,389 Posts; 24,928 Profile Views

Quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose_Queen has 15 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in OR, education.

12 Followers; 4 Articles; 9,462 Posts; 110,044 Profile Views

It sounds like your patient has boundary issues. You need to discuss with your manager, set boundaries that apply for all nurses from the agency providing care, and stick to them. If that doesn't work, then it may be time to find a new case and leave this one. The only one you should be providing care for is your patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

425 Posts; 10,214 Profile Views

3 minutes ago, Rose_Queen said:

It sounds like your patient has boundary issues. You need to discuss with your manager, set boundaries that apply for all nurses from the agency providing care, and stick to them. If that doesn't work, then it may be time to find a new case and leave this one. The only one you should be providing care for is your patient.

Thanks for responding!
It’s only one other case, which I have one day on. It’s also full, if I leave this case- I won’t have FT hours. But the manager ( the owner) agrees with them. She’s even told them she pays the most to her nurses in the area and we should be doing a lot more so there goes that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KatieMI has 6 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

2 Followers; 1 Article; 2,561 Posts; 43,455 Profile Views

Sometimes you have to choose between having money and being the professional that you are.

"Sitting close", touching, making suggestive remarks which make you uncomfortable - that's where I would draw a hard line while speaking with management even if the rest is not a problem. And if that doesn't work and you need to find a new case (or even a new job), so be it. You cannot afford to be involved into anything compromicing your professional integrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

subee has 48 years experience as a MSN, CRNA and specializes in CRNA, Finally retired.

1 Follower; 1,876 Posts; 18,705 Profile Views

Who's paying for this seemingly competent woman to have a nurse at her disposal? Why are you even there? Creepy situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

amoLucia specializes in LTC.

1 Follower; 5,614 Posts; 47,202 Profile Views

WHOA!! Not good! Like PP subee asks, 'who's paying for her care'?

Put your concerns in writing to your agency manager or owner. You have no business doing care for anyone other than your pt and it sounds like it's unnec.

Anyone else thinking potential FRAUD? Sexual harassment?

Be prepared to make other work arrangements soon!

EDTA - you're an LPN. Are you sure you were hired as a NURSE and not home health aide or companion?? I just switched my home health services from CNA to a home companion who helps me with domestic tasks only. My agency was very clear on responsibilities.

Edited by amoLucia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

425 Posts; 10,214 Profile Views

2 hours ago, amoLucia said:

WHOA!! Not good! Like PP subee asks, 'who's paying for her care'?

Put your concerns in writing to your agency manager or owner. You have no business doing care for anyone other than your pt and it sounds like it's unnec.

Anyone else thinking potential FRAUD? Sexual harassment?

Be prepared to make other work arrangements soon!

EDTA - you're an LPN. Are you sure you were hired as a NURSE and not home health aide or companion?? I just switched my home health services from CNA to a home companion who helps me with domestic tasks only. My agency was very clear on responsibilities.

Excuse me? Just because I’m an Lpn you think those lines can easily get blurred. I am a nurse and was hired as a nurse. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

425 Posts; 10,214 Profile Views

3 hours ago, subee said:

Who's paying for this seemingly competent woman to have a nurse at her disposal? Why are you even there? Creepy situation.

Medicaid, like I said now I ask myself why am I there but it’s all I can do as of now to focus on school and being a mom. As soon as this pandemic is over I’m switching cases if one comes open and if not I’m leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

425 Posts; 10,214 Profile Views

3 hours ago, KatieMI said:

Sometimes you have to choose between having money and being the professional that you are.

"Sitting close", touching, making suggestive remarks which make you uncomfortable - that's where I would draw a hard line while speaking with management even if the rest is not a problem. And if that doesn't work and you need to find a new case (or even a new job), so be it. You cannot afford to be involved into anything compromicing your professional integrity.

WOW!! I hate switching jobs but I will have to soon I know. It’s very uneasy going there. But truth of the matter is agency won’t protect me or back me up. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 Followers; 37,674 Posts; 102,926 Profile Views

44 minutes ago, mzsuccess said:

Excuse me? Just because I’m an Lpn you think those lines can easily get blurred. I am a nurse and was hired as a nurse. 🙄

There are nurses who work as companions or home health aides because they are desperate for work. It is entirely possible that your agency pitched your services to the client this way, especially since your manager talks the way you report. Your problem lies with your employer since they won’t support you working as a professional. You need to find other employment or make up your mind to put up with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silverdragon102 has 32 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

8 Followers; 1 Article; 39,248 Posts; 145,670 Profile Views

Moved to the Home Health forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.