The Phone Call from Beyond - page 3

About twelve years ago, I was working nights as an LPN at an inpatient hospice unit. It was a quiet night. I was sitting in a patient's room with the patient and her family. I will call the... Read More

  1. by   1fastbmw's awesome! I love reading stuff like this. It's funny how people try to explain away things that are out of the ordinary. Yes, the animal behavior researcher may be an expert, but then was observed 25 times by doctors and nurses in person! There will always be things we cannot explain. If sharks can sense bodily movement under sand from the electrical impulses within muscles, who knows what other incredible senses do animals have that we are yet to discover!?
  2. by   pearlnum1
    after 32 years of nursing practice from hospital to home/hospice care, I have come to believe that not only do most of patients see and recognize loved ones that have already passed; but, they are there to make the pt's passing easier. The death is more peaceful and less traumatic. I also have sat at the bedside by patients that are not at peace spiritually and the death is cold, and dark, and restless for the patient and the caregivers. Over 32 years of practice, I will never be able to explain all that I've seen, but know that the events have made me wiser and more compassionate.
  3. by   KaroSnowQueen
    I honestly believe it was her husband. I have always believed in these sort of things and even more after it happened to me.

    My mom had been killed in a very ugly bus vs small car wreck, she being in the small car. My sister and I had gone to mom's house to pick out her stuff for the funeral. We felt very odd, as though Mom would come home any minute and yell at us for going through her stuff.
    At one point, her phone in the living room rang. My sister was sitting on the arm of the sofa, and was closer to the phone than I was, but she didn't move to answer it. I ran, not wanting to hear Mom's voice on the answering machine. I picked up the phone on the second ring.
    I hear, THROUGH THE RECEIVER, "Hi, this is Daisy."
    Mother's name was Daisy. It was HER voice. It sounded of course, just like the beginning of her answering machine message. The rest of the message did not play. There was no sound of clicking like hanging up. There was no dial tone. Just, no pun intended, dead air. And it never sounded a dial tone until we hung up the phone again, just that eerie weird "feeling" of dead air.
    My sister did not hear it, verifying that it was not the machine playing the message out loud into the room. I guess my face registered my shock, as she asked, "Who was it?? What's wrong now??"
    I told her "It was Mom, calling to tell us she made it there, I think," and she too was as freaked out as I was. We tried and tried after that to make the machine play the message out into the room and it wouldn't do it unless you opened the machine and intentionally tried to. Other relatives are using that machine (with a different tape) and it has never ever done anything like that since.
    I sincerely believe it was Mom calling us to tell us she had made it to Heaven. We had other things happen that seemed supernatural in the days after mother's death, but that was the first and the one that hangs on so strongly.
  4. by   mb1949
    Yes I believe it was her letting you and your sister know she was alright, what a beautiful thing
  5. by   rhelna
    I truly believe that we are able to feel the presence of our past loved ones at difficult and happy times of our lives. Sometimes God gives us reassurance through a memory from those past to be encouraged or strengthened when we need it most! Great job.
  6. by   HeavensNurse
    I need to let you know about my Grandmother coming to say "Goodbye" to me, when she died. I was 12 years old, just about to fall asleep, about 10:30 at night, when she appeared in the doorway of my closet. She told me she loved me, and to be "a good girl". She then disappeared. Just after that the phone rang in the kitchen. I got up to answer it, and my mother was just getting to it, and I told her "Grandma just died". Well it was my father's mother, and he worked the night shift, so he was just about to wake up to go to work. My mother's reply was "DO NOT LET YOUR FATHER HEAR YOU SAY THAT!" She then answered the phone. It was my uncle, calling to inform us that my grandma had just died. When my mother hung up the phone, she looked me straight in the eye, and said "I don't even want to know how you knew that." We never discussed how I knew. Since then I have had wonderful experiences, and I have gone on to help hundreds, if not thousands of hospice patients die peacefully in the last twenty years. When people tell me "Jeesh! Your job must be depressing!" I tell them, NOT AT ALL, I look at life differently, and I am blessed to share a very special time with my patients while they transition to the next part of their life cycle. Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to share. :redpinkhe
  7. by   dpbrown523
    Reading these stories has given me chill bumps and it's 100 degrees here in TX.
    My dad passed away here in my house Dec 22, 2007 from metastatic stomach cancer. I took care of him the last 3 months of his life, along with the help of my gracious husband. While Dad was alive he was talking about his brother sleeping in the bed with him, and this brother died some 70 years ago. My garage door opened and closed constantly where I had to go unplug it. The TV wouldn't shut off, just glowed white. Just weird stuff happening while he was dying for those 3 months. I was in the other room a couple of days before he died and he hollered out "Is Ray coming?" Ray is my brother and I just happened to be IM-ming him. I told Ray what dad said and he said, "uh oh I better get over there." He lives a few hours away and is a RN too. He came and on Friday night even though Dad wasn't conscious, me, my brother and sister all sat on the couch in the living room with Dad there and he would have been so happy to have us all together like that. Mom wouldn't come over or help with him much because I think emotionally she just couldn't handle it. Just stayed so distant. Well as I was reading your stories the TV in the other room kept coming on. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face as I write this. Anyway, after they took him to the funeral home, a couple of days later my sister, husband, and I went for the first viewing. We walked into the viewing room and I leaned over him and said, "Oh Daddy you look so good!!!" He was dressed up in a tie and coat and looked great. Just then my phone went off, and I said, "Oh great, this always happens at the worst times, when I'm at the doctor's office or something my phone goes off. Oh wait, it's a text message, from my brother. It says, 'Try to love mama the best you can. You are an angel." My sister said, "That was Daddy talking to you, I know it was. He told Ray to tell you that! That sounds just like him!" By then Ray was already back in New Mexico and did not have any idea we were in the viewing room.
  8. by   ysth83
    OMG that was... you gave me goosebumps.
  9. by   Vito Andolini
    I believe it. We are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses.

    Kind of makes me blush in the bedroom but... :chuckle:imbar
  10. by   Cathlabnurse46
    my turn.

    my father died feb 25 2002 from lung ca. after a short dx (early dec) he decline palliative treatment and entered hospice. i did some hospice nursing, mostly as a contrat/agency nurse. in fact i was on call for my father-in-law the night he died of lung ca and pronounced him some 11 years earlier. i owned two alf's and dealt a lot with hospice with my own patient/residents, but this was my father. for a month i drove 2-3x a week from tampa to stuart (3 1/2 hours) to take him to the dr's until the day all my family could come together, feb 24th. my one brother fly in from philly. the family priest came, gave the sacrament of the sick, my father brothers and sister's few in. everyone said goodbye.

    i made a promise years before to my father that he would not suffer as his father did. as we gathered around him he seemed "distracted" "peering around us". we could tell that my grandmother had arrived to see him. as everyone left, my brothers and i (my oldest and i) fulfilled our promises. i told my father that i could not remove his oxygen, that only he could but that i would give his morphine (roxinol) every 2 hours as ordered and make him comfortable. my one brother went home (about 1 mile), the other settled down in a chair, my mother to her room, and i laid by his side on a love seat (i like how that sounds). i got up every 2 hours and gave him roxinol until he went into active death. i bathed him, turned him every hour as i awoke... it was a very busy night.

    as i laid down each time to drift off, i could feel someone literally sitting through me! my uncle, my father best friend, my cousin, my grandmother, my grandfather.... it was strange. finally at 5 am i fell asleep. i dreamed of a train.. an old train like a circus train going from town to town picking up souls along the way as it passed each village..... then i heard the wistle. the train passed hobe sound at 5:15 as i heard my father call out my name "douglas" i jumped to my feet (difficult because i have a fussed hip) and he was starring right at me, aganol respirations as i simultaneously yelled out "daddy". i woke up my brother & mother and called my other brother who said he was already getting dressed because my grandmother woke him. i cuddled up on my fathers lap for the last time as he passed away.

    five years later, this past feb. my sister was hospitalized for pneumonia at age 49. i had made the decision a week earlier to intubate her as she went into ards. after she continued to deteriorate over the week, i again called the family together to withdraw life support. my mother had no idea what day it was. she was fighting the vent even on 50 mcgs of propafol, ativan and morphine breathing at 50-60 and using all of her accessory muscles for days. we all gathered around diane as i and the pulmonologist pulled the et tube. she died 5 years to the day of my father... with her family at her side. she was an alcoholic and addict who put us through hell... but in the end we were still there for her (a miracle in itself). i found no comfort in her death like in my fathers. it was much harder of a decision to make for me. no "big spiritual event" happened, she never came to visit me... i look for nothing either. i just hope that she found peace. i do take comfort know that where she died was safe, for many years she ran away and we had no idea where she was, or if she had food. i guess that was the miracle too.
    Last edit by Cathlabnurse46 on Jul 31, '08
  11. by   arterialbloodgas
    theres must be a strongly couple they are....nice story...
  12. by   gemini81sg
    Ok, I feel really propelled to share my story of a patient named "Keith".

    Keith was an elderly man, but looked good for his age. He was married over 50 years to a wonderful lady named Nancy. He was also a victim to cancer with metastasis. At the time I worked in an inpatient rehab unit (just recently opened), and most of the staff were confused as to why we had received a terminal cancer patient. But, none-the-less, he ended up being one unforgettable patient.

    Keith had been with us for weeks. Keith and Nancy had just recently retired and spent their time traveling - living between Florida and Wisconsin according to the weather (that is common here - elderly leave the cold to go to their other residence in Florida). At the time, a hurricane had hit their Florida residence, and it was demolished. I recall thinking how horrible it was for his wife to be dealing with her dying husband as well as a demolished home and all the hassles it must of entailed especially from such a distance.

    Anyways, Keith was special and we bonded instantly. I never had grandparents and he immediately took on that kind of feel in my life. So many nights I sat and talked with him about this journey we call life, including its conflicts as well as all of its joys. Keith told me on numerous occassions about how he feared dying. At the time, I was so immature in my ability to respond to these types of circumstances, but I did my best.

    On one particular evening, the door was shut and it was just him and I. I held his pale, wrinkled hand in mine. As I looked in his eyes, I felt his fears of dying, almost as if they were my own. He told me that he didn't think God would let him into heaven because of all the bad things he had done in his life. I just thought, "Gosh, death is right here staring him in the face, this is so surreal!"

    As much as I tried to put myself in his shoes, I knew I could never truly be in those shoes until it was my day to pass. But again, I felt a true sense of what he was feeling. I tried to imagine what it would be like, for example, to know that I had only weeks, days, hours, to live. I wanted to know so I could really be there for him.

    I think this was one of the first times I really allowed myself to cry in front of a patient without any shame or fear of being looked at as unprofessional or "caught up in a moment" with a 'stranger'. I just let it all go...and so did he. I continued to hold his hand and we cried and prayed at the bedside. It was such an unimageable moment...I cannot even fully describe it words.

    I had off the next day, a Friday. I went out to eat at a local supper club. As I was sitting at the table, I glanced at the down at the floor and noticed a 'bean bag' competition device (for bean-bag tournaments). On the bottom of it, were the letters K-E-I-T-H. I didn't think much of it.

    As we left the restaurant and were pulling out of the driveway, I noticed an all white pick-up truck, of all things. The license plate again stated KEITH...and that was it - no other numbers or letters.

    I went to work on Sunday to learn that Keith had passed. He left this world on Friday. I immediately felt as if he was telling me, "Hey girl, I made it after all!"

    I'll never forget Keith...he was like an angel to me. Nancy, his wife, sent me christmas cards for years after that. I often think of Keith and the blessing he was in my life. These experiences are the essence of nursing.

  13. by   KarmaWiseRaven
    Oh i have to jump on this. This is my story and i'm sticking to it. I'm really big in the paranormal. Matter of not only am i a ghost hunter in my off time. I'am also a don't freak a Witch. I worked in a old nursing home and in its day it was the county poor farm. In the winter when people die they would keep the bodies in the basement No i'm not kidding until the ground thawed. I worked the grave yard shift. 6:30pm to 7:00am. we have had strange things happen there. whrilpool tub would turn on call lights would turn on in an empty room. We have seen sprits. My Charge Nurse who knows what i'am. Trust me they all knew. And when strange things happen she wouldnt let me leave her side. In a way its funny. One night i got sick of it you know. Things go bump in the night well i bump back. So one night at work things were going ok but then things started to happen. If you dont know this the real witching hour is 3:00am not midnight. well i brought my spritboard to work. and my nurse freaked she asked what are you doing i said i'm summonsing the sprit or sprits to us she freaked went to the breakroom i had one brave aid to summons with me i wanted to know who they are and what do they want. Things guys and i tell you as i'm typing this went crazy. call lights started to go haywire. My charge nurse came out of the break room and she was like what the heck. The tub turned on we had many sprits that night. and they strated to talk through the board. Nicole my partner in crime or in the summonsing part seen something and to this day wont speak of it. Nicole left the nursing home shortly after that. And has not steped foot in a nursing home sense. I left the home also after that not because of fear because i had my dream job open up and i landed it. I see the charge nurse every once in a while at walmart and she ask me still if i do what i still do. Oh back to the end the next day i was called in from my DON. who asked me what went on lastnight and asked me never to bring my board back in the building. And i got a write up . While being there we still seen things out of the corner of our eye. MY Charge Nurse claimed its a man in a red shirt and overalls. So let me tell you this if someone dies open the window let the sprit out. if things start going bump in the night. ignore it because it might become worse. And never and i mean ever summons or think you can summons something to you. You might not want what you get. And at night in a small nursing home we do have to much time on our hands LOL Happy Samhain. or Halloween