Static Electricity is Slowing me Down.

  1. How do I stop from getting shocked? This only happens to me on the floor and not outside the hospital. Every door, every machine, even siderails that I touch always shock me! The shocks from the IV pumps are TERRIBLE. Every one looks at me crazy because I jump from the shock (they of course don't see or feel it) or because I rub my hand cautiously towards the door handle. The IV that shocked me today nearly lit a fire under my butt. Is anyone else getting shocked on a daily basis?
  2. Visit abundantjoy07 profile page

    About abundantjoy07

    Joined: May '04; Posts: 1,420; Likes: 162
    from US
    Specialty: ER, Medicine

    15 Comments

  3. by   Lawnurse
    Used to have to this problem in the dorm. Try touching the wall before you grab the door handle or touch the IV; that's what I used to do.
  4. by   Marie_LPN, RN
    Unscented fabric softer sheet cut in half and tucked in the side of each sock.
  5. by   begalli
    You could aslo let your biomed dept know about your problem. Static electricity is a huge problem in operating rooms due to the potential to spark explosions and fires with anesthetic gases (just like why you NEVER use a cell phone at a gas station).

    One of the main reasons that cell phones are not allowed in the ICU is because of the electrical equipment used in the ICU and the potential of the static electricity a cell phone produces interfering with equipment or producing shocks to a patient.

    If you're in an ICU or a unit that has patients hooked up to a monitor with electrical cables or lines or tubes like swans or foleys with a temp probe that have metal parts, there is a risk that your patient could be shocked. That's not good. Have it checked out.
  6. by   SmilingBluEyes
    I agree get it checked out.
  7. by   Speculating
    Quote from begalli
    you could aslo let your biomed dept know about your problem. static electricity is a huge problem in operating rooms due to the potential to spark explosions and fires with anesthetic gases (just like why you never use a cell phone at a gas station).

    one of the main reasons that cell phones are not allowed in the icu is because of the electrical equipment used in the icu and the potential of the static electricity a cell phone produces interfering with equipment or producing shocks to a patient.
    the static phone explosion from gas stations is over well ten years old. being beat to death by either 48 hours or 60 minutes, i remember which of the two it was but know for a fact it was one of the two because i watched the program myself. secondly, by a program called "myth busters" on your local cable network that shot it down in a heart beat as being false. thirdly, yet another program called "urban myths" hosted by i believe at the time was stacy ketch continued shot this one down.
  8. by   rjflyn
    Might try wearing a different pair of shoes. Also look at what else you are wearing. Are you wearing hose thats rubbing against your pants? Nylon rubbing polyester may generate a charge. Lose the hose. The air where you work might be too dry - have the hospital maintanace staff check.

    rj
  9. by   abundantjoy07
    These are great responses...Begalli, thanks for your suggestions about the biomed dept. It could be more than just me and I really should make it known to them.
  10. by   steelcityrn
    Got the same problem....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  11. by   jaimealmostRN
    Another vote for fabric softener sheets, even if you just rub them on your hands and carry one around with you, they work well. I lightly rub them over my hair when I get those static-y fly aways.
  12. by   begalli
    Quote from speculating
    the static phone explosion from gas stations is over well ten years old. being beat to death by either 48 hours or 60 minutes, i remember which of the two it was but know for a fact it was one of the two because i watched the program myself. secondly, by a program called "myth busters" on your local cable network that shot it down in a heart beat as being false. thirdly, yet another program called "urban myths" hosted by i believe at the time was stacy ketch continued shot this one down.
    i wasn't aware of this, but what i am aware of is the danger of static electricity in operating rooms and icu's...however that static electricity comes about. operating room floors are engineered and constructed to avoid just this problem.

    imagine touching a patient and giving them a shock when they have a swan with metal in it's temperature probe. might as well just shock the heart directly cause that's what happens (of course not to near the extent of a defibrillator, but still a shock).

    thanks for that info. i will look further into it, but in the meantime i still won't use my cell phone at a gas station or in the icu.
    Last edit by begalli on Mar 15, '05
  13. by   TracyB,RN
    I am soooo glad that I am not the only one that this happens to. People usually look at me like I am crazy. I changed shoes, no nylon socks or stockings.... Plus the fabric sheets, help a ton. I also touch a wall before touching metal.
    The bad part is, this happens to me almost everywhere, home, work, stores, it never ends... Must be my electrifying personality....
  14. by   nanna4
    Is it worse for you in Winter? I drag out the fine mist humidifier at home when it gets bad and it seems to help lots in the house...

    By the way, do you have probs with watches stopping when you wear them? My grandma did this and she had a "shocking personality" too.

close