I wish I'd have known....B4 nursing school

Nurses General Nursing

Published

What is the one thing that you know NOW, but you wish you would have known BEFORE you started nursing school?:uhoh21:

how much nights, weekends, and holidays were going to effect my life :uhoh3:

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

How my free time would get so flushed down the toilet so fast, and how much it would affect my personal relationships.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

That like all things, nursing school does indeed end, and faster than you think. So, just deep breathe, work hard, soak up all you can and deal with it. Soon enough, you will be out on the floor, working as a nurse, only without the safety net of your instructors to fall back on. :)

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control.

That there are days when I would feel like a plumber, electrician, chemist, and/or an electronics technician, and other days when I would feel like a psychologist, chaplain, and/or mother, and that I would love both kinds of days.

how unappreciated nurses are, the hours we do and if we dont leave on time no extra money :(

Specializes in ER, ICU, L&D, OR.

welcome to the wonderfull world of nursing

welcome to the wonderfull world of nursing

Stop saying that already, Tom! :p ;)

I think I'm scared

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

That it's better to be nice than to be right.

That it's better to be nice than to be right.

When it comes to pt advocasy, I'd rather be right than nice! :)

But, even when I'm fighting for what's right for a pt, I'm still nice, lol.

That there are NO patients who have read "the book", and follow some obscene clinical course undescribed by any nursing or medical book.

That you have to have the thickest skin, the softest heart and the boys of brass to take the best care of the most hateful patient with the most incompetent doc.

That I am SOLEY responsible for oral hygeine vrs thrush, turning vrs. bedsores, coding a 95 yr. old vrs. talking to family about a DNR. Saying what else can I do after 10 orders have just been barked at me by a patient and I'm still in the room with a smile with a list a mile long of things to be done..if I can just.. get ..out. Answering the call bell for the umteeth time in an hour because grandma is lonely, and choosing between pulling up a chair or walking out. That each decision shapes what type of nurse I have and will become....

okay heavy stuff, sorry I got sappy. :rotfl:

how 'bout it is the most overworked, underpaid, horrific, @#$$%### job, and I would LOVE it and become a better person each time I clocked in.

okay, still sappy, can't help it, I'm just FULL of sap tonight :rotfl:

+ Add a Comment