Constipation Remedy

Specialties Hospice

Published

HELP!!!!! I used to have a home remedy for opiod induced constipation. I remember the igredients were MOM 7up molasses prune juice and I can't remember the rest. Does someone kknow this recipe? I originally got this from a hospice nurse some time ago and I have lost it. My current patient sure could use it right now. Thanks

Laura

Specializes in MS Home Health.

No offense but that makes me want to barf just thinking of it. LOL. I will watch and see if anyone else has used something like that.

I know it is disgusting but it really works when the stool softeners and stuff doesnt, plus it helps avoid the enema and impaction problems. I remember telling the last pt to hold your nose as you drink. :chuckle

Have you considered a product called Miralax? We have had great results with our patients using this that previously could not be relieved without us relieving the impaction. Not a fun experience for the patient or the nurse. We use it on dialysis residents that are on fluid restrictions and get little exercise and it has been a life saver. Just a thought and you do need a script.

I will pass this on to our nurse supervisor....our hospice nurse seems to think CNAs (even when student nurses) are nothing more than professional diaper changers:(

Laura

Specializes in Oncology, Hospice, Research.

ObeyActs2

I have a couple of recipes for constipation but none that sound exactly like what you mention. I don't recall where I got them though! Here are the 2 I have used. One is a cookie type bar and the other is more of a fruit paste. The paste is easier for some patients to eat.

Fruit Paste Recipe

DOSE: 1-2 tablespoons per day

1 pound prunes

1 pound raisins-pitted

1 pound figs

4 oz senna tea

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup lemon juice

Prepare tea using about 2 1/2 cups boiled water. Steep 5 minutes.

Strain tea to remove tea leaves and add only 1 pint tea to a large pot, then add fruit. Boil fruit and tea for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and add sugar & lemon juice. Allow to cool.

Use mixer or food processor to blend fruit mixture into smooth paste.

Place in plastic container and place in freezer.

Remove what you need each day, paste doesn't freeze solid.

Spread it on toast, eat off a spoon or add hot water and make a drink.

Senna BARS

In a food processer mix the following ingredients:

12 oz. raisins

12 oz. dates

12 oz. prunes

8 oz. figs

2 oz. senna leaves or ground senna (in health food stores).

Spread in a greased 8"x12" pan and press to 1" deep. Top with graham cracker crumbs. Cut into 1 inch by 1 inch bars and they can be frozen.

Try 1 bar a day to start. May be able to reduce to 1/2 bar later on.

Use both of the recipes only on approval of a physician.

Good luck and let us know if you find the other recipe...we need all of the help we can get.

:nurse:

Specializes in ICU.

WE use BD prune juice in ICU with good results though we often have to resort to movicol as well.

I have heard that pear juice is now considered to be superior to prune juice. At least that is the word from the connoisseurs of bowel meds:chuckle

Teh Joanna Briggs Institute has an Evidence Based Practice guideline paper for bowel medication that is worth the reading.

Pear juice, huh? Interesting. Probably a lot more acceptable for a lot of patients too. I'll have to look into that.

Try hot water and prune juice

I have never tried it with 7-up, but I know MOM mixed with prune juice work wonders for paitents especially when you warm it up!!

I am the "Move Poop Queen" at our hospice. Warm Prune juice helps but the best I use (when hard stool) is Vaseline Balls. Yes!!! Just roll vaseline into balls, roll into powdered sugar and freeze them. Have pt swallow them frozen. If pt can't swallow them good old oil or fleets is the only thing. I have used Wren's paste but Pt don't like the taste.

I was told the recipe of equal parts cooked prune or prune juice, apple sauce and unprocessed bran. Give a couple of tablespoons and voila!

+ Add a Comment