Public Club

Evolution and Nursing

Updated | Posted

You are reading page 8 of Evolution and Nursing. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

tokebi

tokebi

Specializes in Hem/Onc/BMT. Has 11 years experience. 5 Articles; 404 Posts

At the risk of stirring the pot even further, this news came out just in time for this discussion:

Poll: Religion Trumps Belief in Big Bang Theory for Most Americans - NBC News

Quote

Americans have more skepticism than confidence in global warming, the age of the Earth and evolution and have the most trouble believing a Big Bang created the universe 13.8 billion years ago.

...Political values were closely tied to views on science in the poll, with Democrats more apt than Republicans to express confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change.

Religious values are similarly important.

Confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change decline sharply as faith in a supreme being rises, according to the poll. Likewise, those who regularly attend religious services or are evangelical Christians express much greater doubts about scientific concepts they may see as contradictory to their faith.

"When you are putting up facts against faith, facts can't argue against faith," said 2012 Nobel Prize winning biochemistry professor Robert Lefkowitz of Duke University. "It makes sense now that science would have made no headway because faith is untestable."

SubSippi

SubSippi

Has 2 years experience. 907 Posts

tokebi said:
At the risk of stirring the pot even further, this news came out just in time for this discussion

Maybe someone who doesn't agree with the big bang theory can explain this to me...

What is the problem with believing that is the big bang did happen, that is was created by god? The Bible doesn't say that it is a record of everything god ever did, does it? So maybe he did some other stuff before creating the Earth and people.

I'm not a Christian, but if I was I'd have to find some way to reconcile my religion with science.

KelRN215, BSN, RN

Specializes in Pedi. Has 15 years experience. 1 Article; 7,349 Posts

SubSippi said:
Maybe someone who doesn't agree with the big bang theory can explain this to me...

What is the problem with believing that is the big bang did happen, that is was created by god? The Bible doesn't say that it is a record of everything god ever did, does it? So maybe he did some other stuff before creating the Earth and people.

I'm not a Christian, but if I was I'd have to find some way to reconcile my religion with science.

I like Whoopi Goldberg's explanation:

And note what the one person on the panel who vehemently denies evolution says.

BrandonLPN, LPN

Has 5 years experience. 3,358 Posts

Really, its kinda cruel that they let Sherri Shephard put herself on The View to embarrass herself. Aren't there laws against exploiting the mentally retarded? It's not even an ignorance or uninformed thing, The woman is CLEARLY mentally disabled.

For example, she also said on the view that no one existed before Christ. And, no she wasn't being figurative, she was being literal.

Goat_Boy

Goat_Boy

73 Posts

I think OP knew what he was doing posting this. There obviously would be heated reactions and arguments concerning religion.

To answer the question, evolution seems to make MORE SENSE than intelligent design or creationism.

I can't be sure as to how life has started because, like 100% of the people living, I wasn't there. Maybe we'll find out in the future some day and put an end to these silly quibbles.

ixchel

Specializes in critical care. 5 Articles; 4,547 Posts

KelRN215 said:
I like Whoopi Goldberg's explanation:

And note what the one person on the panel who vehemently denies evolution says.

ImageUploadedByallnurses1398339942.872441.jpg.8ef5c9b82ba465d57ddd54a35ccd8099.jpg

BrandonLPN, LPN

Has 5 years experience. 3,358 Posts

But if you listen 'til the end of the clip, she did say she would take her son to the library to see if the world is really round....:banghead:

Seriously.... What sort of environment did that woman grow up in and how did she end up on TV? Who hired her to be a host on The View??

I don't normally buy into the whole "liberal media" thing, but I think the only explanation is that she was put on the show by liberal producers in a deliberate attempt to make Christian conservatives look like complete idiots.

BrandonLPN, LPN

Has 5 years experience. 3,358 Posts

Okay, so I am now officially obsessed with the human void that is Sherri Shepard, and I'm reading up on her. Here's a quote from the comment section of her website where one of her Christian supporters tries to defend her (Shepard's) beliefs:

"Their [sic] is no law which states that you have to believe something just because it's been proven and documented"....

Possibly the most terrifying thing I have ever read.....

edmia, BSN, RN

Specializes in Emergency, ICU. Has 10 years experience. 827 Posts

amagnowski said:
I think OP knew what he was doing posting this. There obviously would be heated reactions and arguments concerning religion.

To answer the question, evolution seems to make MORE SENSE than intelligent design or creationism.

I can't be sure as to how life has started because, like 100% of the people living, I wasn't there. Maybe we'll find out in the future some day and put an end to these silly quibbles.

Your post reminded me of a Science Friday interview on NPR just last week. A scientist wrote a book about this very topic we are debating and his position is that science cannot prove that G-d is not real. He has some very interesting thoughts on the subject that will please both camps. He put in words my thoughts and it was great to listen to him speak.

I cannot say that I firmly believe in 1 G-d (despite my cultural/faith driven Judaism). I also cannot believe that all the amazing things that occurred in the universe to make our worlds what they are happened without some sort of greater consciousness or energy or whatever. No way! Some people choose to call this unexplainable amazingness G-d -- and that's fine.

Quote from the NPR story so you can look it up and listen to the interview: "In his new book Why Science Does Not Disprove God, science writer Amir Aczel chronicles the New Atheist movement, taking aim at scientists like Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss who attempt to use biology and physics to disprove the existence of God. Aczel argues that their scientific arguments are flawed, and those who say God and science cannot possibly coexist 'distort both the process of science and its value.'"

GrumpyRN, NP

Specializes in Emergency Department. Has 40 years experience. 1,213 Posts

edmia said:
Quote from the NPR story so you can look it up and listen to the interview: "In his new book Why Science Does Not Disprove God, science writer Amir Aczel chronicles the New Atheist movement, taking aim at scientists like Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss who attempt to use biology and physics to disprove the existence of God. Aczel argues that their scientific arguments are flawed, and those who say God and science cannot possibly coexist 'distort both the process of science and its value.'"

Surely the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Russell's teapot anyone?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchins.

ArtClassRN

ArtClassRN, ADN, RN

Specializes in Med Surg. Has 8 years experience. 630 Posts

Out of morbid curiosity, I wonder if you plan to ask if nurses choose to believe in gravity, electromagnetism, aeronautics, chemistry, or physics?

happyinmyheart

happyinmyheart

493 Posts

I believe in both. Couldn't God have created evolution?