Jump to content

Does anyone here actually like nursing?

Nurses   (3,747 Views 77 Comments)
by Sumdaymurse Sumdaymurse (Member)

413 Visitors; 27 Posts

advertisement

You are reading page 4 of Does anyone here actually like nursing?. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

413 Visitors; 27 Posts

1 hour ago, Hollyhocks720 said:

Curious why you are in the forum if not a nurse, but you do not always get to ignore toxicity in the workplace.  I am not talking about petty behavior, I am talking about someone bent on undermining you, damaging you in the eyes of others, etc.  You can choose not to lash out but that doesn’t make the other person “get along” it takes two.

I just don't know very many nurses personally and I can't really ask the students their perspective because they aren't nurses. That's why I brought it up here. Perhaps it does belong in another thread, I just thought I would gain better insight by asking those that are working as nurses. Its been brought to my attention that many nurses use this forum as a way to vent. As someone pursuing nursing as a career, I am weighing the pros and cons. Unfortunately, I got myself caught in the cons and that is what prompted me to pose the question. 

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Iv'e always been taught "kindness kills the devil," but I guess if the devil just wants you dead no amount of kindness can sway him (or her). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

744 Visitors; 64 Posts

8 minutes ago, Sumdaymurse said:

I just don't know very many nurses personally and I can't really ask the students their perspective because they aren't nurses. That's why I brought it up here. Perhaps it does belong in another thread, I just thought I would gain better insight by asking those that are working as nurses. Its been brought to my attention that many nurses use this forum as a way to vent. As someone pursuing nursing as a career, I am weighing the pros and cons. Unfortunately, I got myself caught in the cons and that is what prompted me to pose the question. 

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Iv'e always been taught "kindness kills the devil," but I guess if the devil just wants you dead no amount of kindness can sway him (or her). 

The vast majority of nurses I have worked with are decent but there is a dependency on teamwork in many nursing settings and one or two bad apples can really rock the boat.  It’s unfortunate but is a common theme, so I was a little put off by some poster’s comments.  There is a whole lot about this field that I find disturbing, for one,  the fact so much of it is a “timed race” and hospitals do not value nurses having time to research their patients at start of shift, (don’t provide adequate paid time to do it) knowing how little can be included in a handoff, I wouldn’t want to be a patient.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

413 Visitors; 27 Posts

1 hour ago, Ruby Vee said:

Many of us actually like being nurses, but if you want to discuss THAT, you should have started a thread about why people like nursing rather than a negatively entitled thread that is going to attract people who don't like nursing.

Your right. I should have thought about the title. Thank you though for your response. I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

744 Visitors; 64 Posts

Just now, Sumdaymurse said:

Your right. I should have thought about the title. Thank you though for your response. I appreciate it.

Don’t apologize for that!  You are in good company, many agree with your sentiment, and this is still a free speech society, nobody needs to dictate to you your concerns or feelings!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OncologyCat has 2 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Medical Hematology/Oncology/Stem Cell Transplant.

232 Visitors; 30 Posts

7 hours ago, Hollyhocks720 said:

Sidebar, does your facility follow excreta precautions?  A friend of mine discovered her facility has policies but doesn’t follow them.

Yes we do. I think with the new USP 800 coming up all facilities should practice chemo precautions. What we do is double glove and wear a chemo gown when handling excreta and also cover the toilet with paperchux when flushing. We also flush twice. There’s no precaution when handling soiled linens or chux or trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

744 Visitors; 64 Posts

1 hour ago, OncologyCat said:

Yes we do. I think with the new USP 800 coming up all facilities should practice chemo precautions. What we do is double glove and wear a chemo gown when handling excreta and also cover the toilet with paperchux when flushing. We also flush twice. There’s no precaution when handling soiled linens or chux or trash.

Good for you guys!  How about when handling hazardous drugs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OncologyCat has 2 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Medical Hematology/Oncology/Stem Cell Transplant.

232 Visitors; 30 Posts

3 hours ago, Hollyhocks720 said:

Good for you guys!  How about when handling hazardous drugs?

We double glove (with the longer and thicker chemo glove) and wear a chemo gown. We also have closed system transfering devices (we used Equashield) on our lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leader25 has 35 years experience.

2 Followers; 4,641 Visitors; 796 Posts

Ask me the day my check is direct deposited to my account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OUxPhys has 4 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Cardiology.

8,773 Visitors; 664 Posts

For now I do. There are stretches where I am like "Eff this, Im looking for a job off the floor" but then I will have really good stretches and I realize it could always be worse. Plus, I have really good co-workers and management and if I were to leave it may not be as good at the next position. What irks me the most is upper management and the nursing supervisors (in charge of staffing). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

672 Visitors; 17 Posts

Nope! And NP isn't much different. Nursing is a lot of responsibility with ultimately little control over outcomes thanks to administration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2,250 Visitors; 433 Posts

I have had nursing jobs that were fairly good and I have had some that I wish I never had to experience.  But as for actually liking nursing, not really.  That being said, I have a strong work ethic and even if I don't particularly like what I am doing I do it the best I can.  Don't ask me why I am a nurse, it is a long and boring story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2,250 Visitors; 433 Posts

On 4/27/2019 at 8:17 PM, VRS82 said:

Thank you for posing this question! I am almost set to begin an ABSN and I must be honest, have been feeling so apprehensive after reading a lot of the posts on allnurses. I just said to myself there must be many nurses who enjoy what they do, and these responses have confirmed that. Thank you again!

Nursing isn't something that you should jump into.  It takes careful consideration and weighing the pros and cons.  You better love it or leave it, that is if you have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×