What would you do?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

1. Which should I pick?

Hospital 1
      Hospital 2

7 members have participated

So, I have been truly fortunate to be offered two new grad positions. I would like some input about what you would do if you had to choose.

First position:

med-surg- I would Spend a week on two separate med-surg floors and pick which one I want to work on. Total orientation is 13 weeks. Pay is 25.50/ hour flat rate, and then pay goes up after orientation is over. Day shift and night shift is available. Requires 2 year contract, but I can change units/specialities within that 2 years as long as I stay within that hospital system. I have to pass NCLEX before I begin working.

Second position:

ICU step down with 13 weeks orientation. After 6 months I would be able to cross train to the ICU. Pay is 26.50/hr. This is a night shift position. I can begin working here as soon as I graduate before passing NCLEX. No contract.

Postion One is about an hour from my house. I‎t is a big hospital with lots to offer. it's magnet with level 2 trauma center. This hospital has a great reputation in the area.

Position Two is about 30 minutes from my house. I‎t is a small community hospital.

I really have no preference between the two. Both are great offers. After 2 years I would want to do travel Nursing and eventually get my FNP after getting several years of experience.

Any my advice that y'all can offer will be greatly appreciated. :)

Specializes in Med-Surg, NICU.

Not enough info. What about benefits? Vacation time? Health insurance? Retirement?

The small community hospitals usually allow for more autonomy than the large, magnet-status (teaching) hospitals. I have worked in both settings and I personally prefer the atmosphere of a smaller work setting. Also, are you really going to want to commute an hour away each way, especially if you end up working nights? I know I wouldn't.

That said, I am not sure a 13-week orientation in the ICU for a new grad is sufficient. I would look into that some more before picking.

Best of luck!

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

I picked hospital 2. Closer to home, no contract, better pay. The downside is,

fewer options for transfer within the hospital, as opposed to the bigger

hospital. Then again, how small is this community hospital? I currently

work in one that has a med surge floor, an ER, and a surgical center, and

that's IT. I've also worked in a couple of REGIONAL hospitals with OB,

ICU, step down, surgery, psych, etc etc etc. So...

I picked 2. :)

Specializes in Med Surge, Tele, Oncology, Wound Care.

Two. The drive alone is enough. I commute an hour now and it sucks. I also hate the fact of having to think that I would have a contract.

If you don't care one way or another why wouldn't you go with the better pay, closer to home, no contract option?

If it were me I would ask to follow at each and observe the culture of the unit. Then decide.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Moved to first job hunt assistance

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
So, I have been truly fortunate to be offered two new grad positions. I would like some input about what you would do if you had to choose.

First position:

med-surg- I would Spend a week on two separate med-surg floors and pick which one I want to work on. Total orientation is 13 weeks. Pay is 25.50/ hour flat rate, and then pay goes up after orientation is over. Day shift and night shift is available. Requires 2 year contract, but I can change units/specialities within that 2 years as long as I stay within that hospital system. I have to pass NCLEX before I begin working.

Second position:

ICU step down with 13 weeks orientation. After 6 months I would be able to cross train to the ICU. Pay is 26.50/hr. This is a night shift position. I can begin working here as soon as I graduate before passing NCLEX. No contract.

Postion One is about an hour from my house. I‎t is a big hospital with lots to offer. it's magnet with level 2 trauma center. This hospital has a great reputation in the area.

Position Two is about 30 minutes from my house. I‎t is a small community hospital.

I really have no preference between the two. Both are great offers. After 2 years I would want to do travel Nursing and eventually get my FNP after getting several years of experience.

Any my advice that y'all can offer will be greatly appreciated. :)

If you truly have no preference, I'd go with the first hospital for the greater opportunities. The commute may be a deal breaker for some, but it's right on the cusp of what I'd tolerate. In other words, if it really IS an hour commute, I'd live with it. But if it's an hour most days but two hours when it snows or an hour and a half when there's a football game or longer if you hit peak commute, that would be too dang much. Of course if you're living with your parents and planning to move out after you get a job, you can move closer to the hospital. That won't help you if you own your own house or you're married and living where your husband needs to live for his job.

But you really haven't given us enough information to make the decision for you. What about insurance and other benefits? Vacation time? Which manager "feels" more right? Have you met the staff of either unit and which staff feels more welcoming?

A "tie breaker" that has worked for me is to close my eyes, spin around a few times and then point to one or the other choice on a map, a piece of paper, or whatever. Or pull coins out of a hat -- the 1999 penny for hospital one, the 2006 penny for hospital two. Once you see which one you've chosen, how do you feel about it? If you're relieved or excited, you've chosen the right hospital. If you're disappointed or upset, you've chosen the wrong one. Then you get to accept the OTHER offer, knowing you're doing the right thing.

ThePrincessBride-

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate I‎t. I've never had to commute a long distance so I wasn't sure if an hour seemed long or not. I think this really boils down for me between a community hospital or large teaching hospital. I never thought about the autonomy aspect, and that is something that I will definitely consider. I want to be well supported as a new grad, but autonomy is something that will foster my critical thinking skills. As for the information regarding benefits, health insurance, and retirement I don't have I‎t. This is my first "real" job and I'm not sure what you ask and don't ask. When they called me to offer the job they only told me the pay and when I could start. They said once I accepted the job offer they would email me an official acceptance packet, and I'm assuming all of that information would be included. Neither hospital gave out much info. I don't know if that is standard when you're offered a job, but before you accept I‎t. I wish that someone told me that is the information I should be asking.

Again, thank you for your input!

I picked hospital 2. Closer to home, no contract, better pay. The downside is,

fewer options for transfer within the hospital, as opposed to the bigger

hospital. Then again, how small is this community hospital? I currently

work in one that has a med surge floor, an ER, and a surgical center, and

that's IT. I've also worked in a couple of REGIONAL hospitals with OB,

ICU, step down, surgery, psych, etc etc etc. So...

I picked 2. :)

The community hospital I'm referring isn't that small!! lol :) So I guess you would consider I‎t a regional hospital because I‎t has the units that you describe. Thank you for your advice!

Two. The drive alone is enough. I commute an hour now and it sucks. I also hate the fact of having to think that I would have a contract.

Yeah the contract is throwing me off. That was one of my first choice hospitals, but I didn't know about the contract. I want to get two years of experience before I start travel Nursing anyways, but it's just scary to commit to something for two years.

If you don't care one way or another why wouldn't you go with the better pay, closer to home, no contract option?

If it were me I would ask to follow at each and observe the culture of the unit. Then decide.

That's a really great idea! Completing a shadow opportunity in each unit would definitely be beneficial in my decision making process. Thanks!

If you truly have no preference, I'd go with the first hospital for the greater opportunities. The commute may be a deal breaker for some, but it's right on the cusp of what I'd tolerate. In other words, if it really IS an hour commute, I'd live with it. But if it's an hour most days but two hours when it snows or an hour and a half when there's a football game or longer if you hit peak commute, that would be too dang much. Of course if you're living with your parents and planning to move out after you get a job, you can move closer to the hospital. That won't help you if you own your own house or you're married and living where your husband needs to live for his job.

But you really haven't given us enough information to make the decision for you. What about insurance and other benefits? Vacation time? Which manager "feels" more right? Have you met the staff of either unit and which staff feels more welcoming?

A "tie breaker" that has worked for me is to close my eyes, spin around a few times and then point to one or the other choice on a map, a piece of paper, or whatever. Or pull coins out of a hat -- the 1999 penny for hospital one, the 2006 penny for hospital two. Once you see which one you've chosen, how do you feel about it? If you're relieved or excited, you've chosen the right hospital. If you're disappointed or upset, you've chosen the wrong one. Then you get to accept the OTHER offer, knowing you're doing the right thing.

I'm currently living with my parents. I plan on staying home for a couple of months to a year to save money, and then move. For the large hospital I didn't actually meet the unit manager for either unit that I could pick from. There was an HR lady at the interview and the DON. They seemed nice enough. They were welcoming. For the community hospital I met with the Nursing manager, and she was wonderful. She was very happy and energetic and I got a great vibe from her. One thing that is throwing me off is that I know one girl in my cohort who works on that floor as a tech. According to her they offered her a position and she declined because she doesn't want to work there. I asked her why. I know she wants to do ICU so I figured she would definitely take I‎t. She said she just doesn't like the unit and they make you float all time. She also told me about some situations that happened at the hospital that seemed crazy to me like they resulted in adverse patient events. I know these things happen at every hospital, but I don't want to feel like I'm walking into a sinking ship. I just don't know if she is a disgruntled employee or if she really has value to what she is saying. I haven't heard anything negative about the large hospital, but I also don't know anyone who works for that hospital.

Also, your advice about flipping a coin is great! I'm literally about to do that now!

Thanks!!

+ Add a Comment