Job Offer But it's Out-of-state

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

So guys I was offered a position in the OR at Fargo, North Dakota. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Accepting this position means I will have to relocate and I've never lived on my own. The hospital is willing to offer relocation assistance. I am interested in surgical services and I know this is a great opportunity especially since I am a new grad RN.

This job requires me to work 5 days a week, 6:30 a.m.-3:30p.m. plus take call. My issue with that is I am not a morning person and I prefer 12 hr shifts. As a nurse assistant I use to work the night shift and I loved it. I'm more energetic at night. I really want to try out being a perioperative nurse though. So should I let the fact that I am nocturnal deter me from trying? I don't want to disappoint myself or my employer.

I need some advice and guidance guys.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

Really -- your doubts about this job are because it's DAY shift? It's a great opportunity, and I suspect you can train yourself to be awake in the morning. After years and years of night shift, I've finally trained myself to get up at 6 am. (Although I really do like the days I can still sleep in.) Living on your own is a skill everyone should have. I'd say go for it!

Well yea I'm scared I'm going to over sleep or not get enough sleep the night before because I'm always up late until 3:00 a.m. Plus with the call thing, what if I sleep out the page!!! And I don't want to show up to work half asleep and groggy because I only slept a fews hrs the night before. I worry alot. Can you tell lol?

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

These are all issues WELL within your control. Don't stay up until 3. Put the pager where you need it to be to wake you. Set alarms.

Congratulations on your offer :) That is super exciting.

Specializes in NICU.

I worked 15 yrs of night shift and switched to day shift a year ago. Is it rough getting up at 5 am, yes it is. But, the brain fog is lifted from 15 yrs of night shift. I still stay up until midnight to 1 am on my days off. I can rarely stay up past 2 am (went to bed at 6-7 am on my days off during night shift) now. Your body will adjust to working during the day and sleeping during the night.

This is a fantastic opportunity. I worked night shift for a long while and have adapted okay to day shift...I bought one of those alarm clocks that wakes you up with gradually brightening light that mimics a sunrise. Cannot recommend it highly enough for night owls that work days.

Specializes in Cardiac and Emergency Department.

You need to take into account the location as well as the work situation. If you are accustomed to northern winters and you like winter, then that would not be a problem. If you are accustomed to the south east and have never lived away from family, then that may cause a significant challenge in addition to the learning curve you will experience as a new grad. The job offer as you have described it sounds like a dream opportunity for a new grad. Set hours and day shift are highly desired by many people.

I am a night person and do my best work from 1500-2200. My first two and a half years after graduating nursing school were on night shift with a bad 12-hour shift schedule (I was always at work or sleeping) when my kids had sports meets or JROTC functions. I missed a huge majority of their formative years in high school and I regret that… If I had been offered the job you described, I would have jumped on it-but that is what would have suited my family lifestyle.

Sit down and determine what is best for you and your family situation before accepting any position, but also factor in that new grads do not generally get offered highly desirable positions and schedules…again, it all hinges on what will work for you personally. If I were given this job offer today, I would most likely accept it. It would give me more time with my family and more time to do what I want to do, in particular, not work every other weekend.

Specializes in Pedi.

If you want to do OR, you have to adjust to a day schedule. Surgeries don't routinely happen at night.

Tell yourself that you have no choice in the matter and that you must adapt, then adapt you will. You can not pass up this amazing opportunity. Once you have experience under your belt, you will find your opportunities will broaden. By then, you may not want to make any changes concerning the shift you prefer.

I took the job guys! Wish me luck. I'm so nervous but I'm totally excited. I'll keep you updated!!

Specializes in Informatics, Orthopaedics.

Sanford in Fargo is a great facility and the OR unit is pretty tight. I think you'll like it. It's expensive to live in Fargo as far as rent, but there's lots to do and Minneapolis is 3 hours away if you get bored.

+ Add a Comment