What I Learned This Week: Discipline is King

Ixchel needed someone to create this week's "What I Learned" thread, so I'll go ahead and attempt to rise to the occasion. I've learned a few things... Nurses Announcements Archive Article

Updated:  

What I Learned This Week: Discipline is King

1. Discipline is King:

I learned that discipline is fundamental. I am referring to self-discipline. After a decade of shift work, I now work from a home-based office and am finding I lack the discipline to get my day started in a timely manner. When I had to report to an actual workplace and punch a time clock, it was enough of an incentive to arrive on time. However, since I now work under a laissez-faire manager and must determine the course of my own work day, it's been tough.

2. Routine is King:

I learned that some people can go with the flow. I have no problem going with the flow, but my work day needs to be routinized. I need a set wake-up time, a coffee routine, and knowledge of how my work day will turn out. I suppose this is how I remained in LTC nursing for six years...I somewhat knew the residents and routine, which made things easier for me.

3. Networking is King:

I learned that our professional lives are made easier by having a network of colleagues that will have your back, answer your questions, and put in a good word for you whenever you need a reference. I got my current gig by having a friend put in a good word about me to the hiring manager.

4. Reciprocation is King:

I learned that reciprocation is important. If someone does something helpful for you, it will be beneficial for you to reciprocate by doing something helpful in return. Karma will reward you for doing to others as they do to you.

5. People are King:

I learned that relationships with people contribute to the spice of life. For example, I returned from a toddler's birthday party a few hours ago. Both his mother and I are nurses. The toddler's father (my friend's spouse) has a wide social circle of longtime friends. My friend complains about her husband's social circle, but I can tell that these people are enriching his life since he enjoys their presence. Without relationships with various people, our lives and worldviews can be limited.

What have you learned? ?

TheCommuter, BSN, RN, CRRN is a longtime physical rehabilitation nurse who has varied experiences upon which to draw for her articles. She was an LPN/LVN for more than four years prior to becoming a Registered Nurse.

102 Articles   27,612 Posts

This week I learned that:

Vasogenic edema can outwardly present just like a stroke.

For as much information as has been publicized regarding stroke symptoms and the urgency of getting to a facility when you have stroke-like symptoms, people will still wait 3, 5 days, a week even, before finally goin to see a doctor.

No matter how much you try to educate patients, when they get it in their head to sign out AMA they are out the door, even with unresolved toilet-level labs.

We have the best aides on our floor. I love them to bits and they are rock stars at their jobs. If I ever leave a shift without thanking them they are free to kick me in the shins :yes:

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.

I learned I am good at marketing. I am also really lucky.

Specializes in Medsurg/ICU, Mental Health, Home Health.

What I've learned...

~ I *can* overcome my Facebook addiction. I gave up my Facebook app for Lent. It's almost second nature to click on that icon; however, I've only done it once since Wednesday (and I immediately closed it!)

~ The prospect of Donald Trump being POTUS frightens a lot of people, including my extremely Republican friends in the deep south

~ I really really enjoy the Doors but honestly can't name any band member aside from Jim Morrison

~ My wedding is fast approaching! (I made my hair appointment!!!! EEEK!)

~ Munchasen's plus Axis II equals...a complete drain of energy

~ Homicide: Life on the Street should be in syndication

~ Paul McCartney sang back up on "Mellow Yellow." Okay, so I actually knew that but wanted to share it to be annoying.

Ray Manzerek

Robby Krieger

John Densmore

The Other Doors

Farawyn said:
Ray Manzerek

Robby Krieger

John Densmore

The Other Doors

Thanks boo.

Just to be difficult...did you know that off-hand?

And I'm thinking I'll have future hubster walk down the aisle to "The End." We both think it's cute and funny. Thoughts?

DeLanaHarvickWannabe said:
Thanks boo.

Just to be difficult...did you know that off-hand?

And I'm thinking I'll have future hubster walk down the aisle to "The End." We both think it's cute and funny. Thoughts?

I did know that off hand, and as to The End?

The killer awoke before dawn

He put his boots on

He took a face from

The ancient gallery and he walked on down the hallllll

He went into the room where his sister lived, and then he... He paid a visit to his brother and then he

He walked on down the hall

And he came to a door

And he stepped inside.

Father?

Yes son?

I want to Kill you.

Mother...?

I want to...

(Oedipus drops acid. Can't you walk down the aisle to Light My Fire instead?)

Specializes in Pediatrics, NICU.

I learned that some babies don't respond to propofol..at all. This makes for a tough intubation when the kid is flailing and pushing the intubation blade out with their tongue. :nailbiting:

I learned that some providers will try to intubate even though the baby is flailing and pushing the blade out with their tongue. And the person attempting to intubate will need to be told (loudly) that under no circumstances are they to keep trying to tube the kid until more RSI meds are pushed.

I was reminded (for the billionth time), that RTs are seriously the best. We would be in hot water constantly without our fantastic RTs! They are run ragged sometimes and never complain or refuse to help.

I learned that premie vocal cords are more pink but full term baby vocal cords are more white.

Specializes in Hospice.

I learned that even when I don't play the nurse card in the ER and on the floor, other nurses can tell within a very short time that I'm a card carrying member of the club.

I guess after 4 decades, "nurseness" ("nursiosity"??) is so much a part of me I don't even notice it anymore.

Farawyn said:
I did know that off hand, and as to The End?

The killer awoke before dawn

He put his boots on

He took a face from

The ancient gallery and he walked on down the hallllll

He went into the room where his sister lived, and then he... He paid a visit to his brother and then he

He walked on down the hall

And he came to a door

And he stepped inside.

Father?

Yes son?

I want to Kill you.

Mother...?

I want to...

(Oedipus drops acid. Can't you walk down the aisle to Light My Fire instead?)

Clearly, I wouldn't let the song get THAT far. It's about twenty minutes long as it is. ;)

And I'm walking down the aisle to...

It's a Wizard of Oz theme. For reals.

Laugh. But this will come up again and again as I ask for advice regarding said nuptials!

Mock, mock everyone...but y'all CAN'T ESCAPE!

Hey, Far, at least it's not a NASCAR wedding. ;)

DeLanaHarvickWannabe said:
Clearly, I wouldn't let the song get THAT far. It's about twenty minutes long as it is. ;)

And I'm walking down the aisle to...

I love this.

Farawyn said:
I love this.

Really????

Just WAIT until you see my shoes!

But I should shut up, I feel like I'm hijacking TheCommuter's thread!