I have taken Anthropology, Ethics, Medical Terminology
, and Humanities through the Arts online. The Humanities class was a killer because I had no interest in it whatsoever, but that's another story.
I have emailed online instructors prior to the start of class as well. I had to drop an online class on the first day because the teacher stated that you would need to devote 10 hours a week to her class (Intro to Music in America) and I just couldn't see that happening. Give the teacher another week or so to reply, they may be out of the office for the holiday. I know our campus doesn't open up again until this coming Tuesday.
Things to look for once the class material is available online:
1) The amount of time the instructor recommends that you devote to the class.
2) The need for extra's such as flash drives, folder covers (hopefully you will be able to submit all papers via the internet)
3) Carefully view the syllabus. You don't want to get burned because you turned a paper in using the wrong type of document.
4) Check if there are actual lecture times. The majority of online classes on my campus do not have lecture times, but there are some that do.
5) If your online class has a discussion forum be sure to view the instructor's policy on participation. Some expect a minimum of one paragraph of your original thoughts as well as replying to your classmates thoughts.
6) Proctoring, oh how I hate proctoring. My Humanities instructor only offered two tests and these were taken at the college's proctoring center. This is info that should be in your class syllabus as well as proctoring times. My school had the worst available times for proctoring. Oh did I mention that I loathe proctoring?
These are just things that I've learned taking online classes and I'm sure that the good people on here will have other thoughts or even different view points because they have attended different schools. Just make sure to schedule time to do your classwork as silly as that sounds. It is nice to sit in your jammies at home and attend class online.