How do you give morphine sulfate IVRegister Today!
- by Chris27229 Mar 6, '07Many nurses where I work have been giving morphine sulfate IV undiluted using the rule of pushing 1mg/minute, so 2 mg would be given over 2 mins. If giving above 2mg always dilute in 5ml of NS so that it isn't inadvertly given it too fast. I was orienting a new grad the other day and we looked this up in a drug book which recommended always diluting in 5ml of ns and giving it over 4-5mins, for dose ranges of 15mg or less. How are you giving morphine IV for pain control?
- Mar 6, '07 by psalmI always give over 4-5 minutes so my pts don't get a quick high, some ask for it faster! If a hep lock, I dilute, if in a running IV, I don't dilute. If incompatible with running IV, obviously, dilute, stop IV, saline flush, med, saline flush, and then continue IV. I don't think I have ever given more than 10mg.
- Mar 8, '07 by Chaoticdreams33The policy for IV morphine where I have clinical is to give 5mg or less undiluted over 1-2 minutes. Over 5mg dilute in at least 5ml of NS and give at 2-3mg per minute. It doesn't hurt to dilute any amount though (as long at the pt can tolerate an extra 5mls) and it doesn't hurt to give it over a longer period of time if you have 5 minutes to push it. I like to give it slowly the first time I give it to a pt to see how they react, then later on I will give it faster.
- Mar 22, '07 by KodieRNWe have vials 10mg/ml. For IVP I waste 1 ML of NS out of a 10ML syringe and draw back the 1ML of morphine giving me 1mg/ml mix. That way it can be pushed slowly 2-5 min and easy to give the right dose
- Mar 30, '07 by AltraTypically not diluted where I work, usual dosing of 2-5mg per dose.
Check your facility's policy.
- Apr 4, '07 by mamallefor my postop patients- normally 2mg at a time from the farthest port undiluted. er, may be different depending on the situation- then I dilute 10mg with 9 cc NS.
- Apr 10, '07 by GrnHonu99we dont have any hard fast rules, we give per reccommended dose. I usually give morphine via MIVF so I wont dilute it. If I give it through a periph IV then I usually just mix it with some ns so I don't give it so fast. I have had many pts ask me to push it faster.
- Apr 10, '07 by HappyParamedicRNI have alway given MS undiluted no matter what the dose, the key is to just push it slowly.
- Apr 11, '07 by Roy Fokkermost of our post-ops come up with pca pumps - so i just "bolus" a dose from that.
if i'm giving someone ivp, it's usually a "breakthrough pain" scenario (or they have no pcs) and i give it undiluted.
we have different strength pre-filled stocks :: 2 mg/ml, 5 mg/ml and 10 mg/ml (all of these strengths come in 1 ml doses - so i have 2 mg, 5 mg or 10 does per vial/syrette depending on the vial/syrette i choose).
we have similar system for fentanyl and dilaudid (different strengths of course!)
now i have a follow up quesiton:
if you had a choice: do you prefer to give them im or iv?
- Apr 11, '07 by canoeheadDilute it, then push it in the highest port available, and it will drip in slowly over 5 min even if you need to move on to something else.