Filter needles for glass vials?Register Today!
- by jrsmrs Aug 24, '11Does your facility have/use filter needles for meds in glass vials? We were taught to use them in school, but I've never actually seen them on any floor I've been on, so I just do without.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=608847©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 8,625 Views
- Aug 24, '11 by danh3190We have lots of filter needles on our floor. Not too many glass vials though.
- Aug 24, '11 by Isabelle49Used them long ago for glass or plastic vials to filter any possible impurities.
- Aug 24, '11 by TaitAlways had them, always used them.
- Aug 24, '11 by ZippyGBRminor point of terminology
vials shouldn't need filter needles, ampoules might ... if your concern is material breaking off as you snap the ampoule open and it falling into the drug inside
- Aug 24, '11 by kloneAlways. Fentanyl and Nubain come in the ampules.
- Aug 24, '11 by apocatastasisI would never administer a med out of a glass vial that wasn't drawn up with a filter needle. Never.
- Aug 24, '11 by ZippyGBRQuote from apocatastasiswhat is your rationale never to administer a medication out of a vial that wasn't drawn up with a filter needle ...I would never administer a med out of a glass vial that wasn't drawn up with a filter needle. Never.
if a vial's content has glass in it you wouldn't be using the damaged vial would you ?
how does filter needle protect you or your patient in piercing the rubber bung of a vial ?
if you had said it about an ampoule ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampoule ) it's understandable but probably over cautious...
- Aug 24, '11 by Butterfly2625Yes, I have used filter needles multiples times over the course of my career. Medications that I am fond of pulling up with a filter needle are phenergan, Thorazine and dilaudid.
- Aug 24, '11 by prmenrsI used filter needles until we got filter straws--even better! http://www.planetrx.com/p/b-braun_fi...06&zmap=176892