Are references checked before an interview?Register Today!
- by Despareux May 30, '12I've heard recruiters check out references before they decide to forward resumes to nurse managers. Is this common practice?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=716126©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,802 Views
- May 30, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNOf course, every facility does things a little bit differently. Some applicants don't provide references until the interview. Others do. Some recruiters might prefer to check references before sending the application to the hiring manager, in order to eliminate some candidates, but I would imagine most don't. They would wait to check references until the hiring manager has selected a few top choices. This way it's less work for the recruiter. They might send along 10 applications, but the hiring manager will only choose three who need references checked.
Are you just curious? Because it wouldn't make a big difference one way or the other. If you've got great references, or poor ones, it's going to impact you the same either way.
- May 30, '12 by DespareuxYes, I am curious. The online application asks for professional references prior to submitting.
- May 30, '12 by Gem0607My references were checked prior to my interview as well. Which threw me for a loop because I've always had them checked after.
- May 30, '12 by CapeCodMermaidI've never checked references before I interviewed someone. Why waste my time and theirs if they aren't right for the job?I've had recruiters ask me for the names of my references if they were putting my resume' in for a position. And I've been asked by recruiters to give a reference for a former co worker before they submitted them to a prospective employer. So it all depends.What I don't understand is anyone's anxiety about getting a bad reference. It's up to me to give them the names of my references so why would I give anyone if I weren't positive they were going to give me an excellent reference.
- May 30, '12 by Gem0607That's what I wonder too. HR called me to schedule the interview then they asked for my references. I guess I'm confused and wondering if the interview just sealed the deal or did we waste those persons time. I'm not worried that my references spoke poorly of me at all.
- Jun 1, '12 by CherylRNBSNJust had interview, and references were REQUIRED by HR to complete application process. Wouldn't consider before reference check.
- Jun 1, '12 by tyvinSo what...unless there's something to hide why would it matter?
- Jun 4, '12 by KelRN215I have never had anyone check references before an interview. That seems ineffecient to me. Why waste your time checking references and then get to the interview and find out the person is completely wrong for the job?
- Jun 4, '12 by Gem0607Quote from KelRN215Kel that's the same way I felt.I have never had anyone check references before an interview. That seems ineffecient to me. Why waste your time checking references and then get to the interview and find out the person is completely wrong for the job?