Need help! seniority or higher pay?
- 0Jan 8, '13 by loongway2goRnHello all,
Would like to ask for any and all wisdom you can share about my current situation..
Recently got 2 job offers from a unionized organization.. all else being equal, the difference: one starts now, the other in 2 months. the former of course would mean that my "seniority" clock would start now, the other would offer about $1 extra on my hourly rate.. it's not significant to me either way.. just would like to know what you would pick if given the choice between seniority or higher pay?
I'm fairly new and not quite used to having choices..
THanks so much!
- 0Jan 8, '13 by TakeTwoAspirinThe only way that seniority will help you (and yes, 2 months can make a difference) is when it comes to vacation requests during peak periods and who gets to work the holidays. If two people want the same week, the person with seniority will get the vacation - every time. Also, when the union renegotiates the contract you may benefit down the line if you have a little more seniority. In non-union facilities two months doesn't make much difference but depending on the union contract it could in your case.
- 6Jan 8, '13 by TakeTwoAspirinThere is also the "bird in the hand" theory to consider on this . With the job market and economy the way it is I would grab the NOW job instead of the one two months down the road. The one in two months could just as easily go away.
- 0Jan 8, '13 by Meriwhen Senior ModeratorQuote from TakeTwoAspirinI agree. There's too many things that can make the later job go away: budget cuts (either the job itself or that $1 more an hour); changing their mind about hiring you for whatever reason; deciding that they'll consolidate the position with a current one; another applicant claiming seniority and therefore challenging your hiring (don't laugh--that actually happened at my workplace not too long ago)...There is also the "bird in the hand" theory to consider on this . With the job market and economy the way it is I would grab the NOW job instead of the one two months down the road. The one in two months could just as easily go away.
Yes, these things could also happen to the job that starts now...but I don't think it's as likely to happen when you're currently working, as opposed to your not working yet. So better you grab the job while you can.
Best of luck whatever you decide!
- 0Jan 8, '13 by loongway2goRnthanks for the feedback!! now that i've seen your comments, it makes sense that the better offer is the one that i can have now and be sure that i have. too many variables can happen in 2 months, especially now that the place is undergoing restructuring. nothing is for sure until you have it in your hand, even then they can take it back.
thank you so much for the replies.
- 0Jan 8, '13 by jadelpn GuideAnd depending on your union contract, soon enough you will have a raise that will perhaps equal that dollar more....not to mention differentials...take the job now. It will also help down the line if you decide you want to transfer to another department--seniority most always rules.....
- 2Jan 8, '13 by workingharderMonetarily speaking. Let's say you make $30.00/hr now. In two months (based on 160 hr/month) you'll make $9600.00 . If you take off two months, that's $9600.00 you won't have.
The other job will pay you $160.00 more per month. That means it will take you 5 years to recoup that lost income. That's a long time in this business.
This is assuming, of course, that you will not have an income during this two month difference.Last edit by workingharder on Jan 8, '13 : Reason: fix a mistake. sometimes I can be such a maroon