Depression and Antidepressants...Register Today!
- by Monkey_Man Oct 31, '04Hi! I had a quick question, and I have to type really fast, cause I gotta go soon...... I'm in the middle of upgrading right now and next year I'm hopefully going to get into the Faculty of Nursing at the University of Calgary. But heres my question....I have been diagnosed with Depression and I'm taking Zoloft for it. will this effect me getting a Job as a Nurse? Thanks. bye bye
- 2,553 Views
- Nov 1, '04 by KaroSnowQueenI think the don't ask don't tell thing applies here. But don't worry, probably half the nurses you see are or have been on antidepressants, me included. We had a thread on this once and it was amazing how many of us were.
- Nov 1, '04 by KatnipI'm starting on antidepressants now. Have been on them before. I know many, many nurses taking them.
- Nov 1, '04 by traumaRUsCyberkat - just wanted to let you know I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers...please take care of yourself.
- Nov 1, '04 by DutchgirlRNI have been on Zoloft for 7 years. I've been at my current job for 3 years. Once when I mentioned that I was on antidepressants every nurse around me said "oh me too" . Not to worry ! Good Luck !
- Nov 1, '04 by akcarmeanI agree with the don't know don't tell. If it starts to affect your job then it should be addressed. I have been on antidepressants since 1997. I have gone through CNA classes and worked as a CNA, then I have gone to LPN school and been working, and now I have just been accepted to AIU I am working towards my RN, BSN. You have nothing to worry about. It's nobody's business but you and whoever you want to know. Good Luck Angelia
- Nov 1, '04 by hypnotic_nurseNo one has ever asked me what medications I take. And Zoloft does not show up on screens for drugs of abuse, because it is NOT a drug of abuse. You would be surprised how many of your coworkers (doctors, nurses, other staff) take it or something similar.
If hospitals were to kick everyone out who'd ever had a medication for depression, there would be very few people working.
Lasix (for high BP) is the only medication I ever took that affected my job -- cause I had to run to the restroom every half hour!
- Nov 2, '04 by Dublin37so how do you all like zoloft? What are the side effects? I've been on Effexor with less side effects than some i've taken. Do any of you have panic attacks? That's what i'm concerned with when i start "the program".
- Nov 12, '04 by NurseFirstQuote from Dublin37At least that's what I've heard about the amphetamine-like anti-depressant Wellbutrin.so how do you all like zoloft? What are the side effects? I've been on Effexor with less side effects than some i've taken. Do any of you have panic attacks? That's what i'm concerned with when i start "the program".
- Nov 12, '04 by Birdie RNThankyou for taking good care of yourself. Good luck and GOD bless.