need to vent about my husband...sorry long.Register Today!
- by SassyErRn Jan 21, '09This day is getting worse. Here I am working at my desk thinking about how my husband is at home, still umemployed. Instead of refocusing on my work I think about how he hasn't worked since the summer and it's not the economy in MI solely to blame. He has a poor work hx. He has been let go because of companies cutting costs but he has left jobs because they were either comission only and he wasn't making much or because the hours became very long. I have talked to him nicely about this, I have been on his case, I have let it go over the holidays, and now I am back to being pi$$ed. I am very aware of my resentment towards him and it kinda settled down for a bit there. I now realize that me letting it go over the holidays was only a way for me to try and forget the whole mess and let me do my best at recovery. Now that I am getting angry at him again I am thinking damn, I went through a whole lot last year...I was using while working a stressful job, I was depressed and suicidal at times, finally got suspended, off of work for 5 months, working now although only a temp administrative job at the hopsital I worked at before...and through all of my sweat and tears he still is without work.
So I felt the need to vent on a message board I have posted on before. I am aware that you get poor replies and people telling you that you married the lazy guy and blah blah blah. Could you imagine if I said...oh yeah, and I am a recovering addict! yikes. I guess I was hoping for someone to say they know how I feel. My husband is wonderful and he is a hard worker and very smart. I told him that I don't see that man anymore. So right now he is not the man I married. I know he wants to be the bread winner and he is not happy with himself right now. I don't know what to do. He is looking for jobs. He mentioned moving out of state but I have told him no in the past because I can't trust him due to his job hx. I am not about to move away from my family, support for recovery groups, etc. because he can FIND a job outside of MI. That is not the complete issue...can he KEEP that job as a career and provide stability for us because I want a family some day.
When I get home from work I plan to sit down with him and tell him he needs work now. I have already told him since the new year started that he really needs to find ANYTHING for now. I guess we need to talk again. I am so upset right now. And thinking about the fact that I am working my job plus working to stay c&s....people have no idea how hard that can be. I feel like they take it like a grain of salt sometimes. It's hard not to think about wanting to F it all up just to show him I am fed the F up. Grr.
Sorry to vent...and vent hard. Thanks for listening. I just figured I could come here and you guys would atleast listen and not flame me.
- 1,564 Views
- Jan 21, '09 by RNRutROSassy - God love ya! I was reading what you wrote, and boy, I can see how frustrating that could be. I have to agree with Lisa, I was thinking the same thing. He sounds depressed. Maybe even has some feelings about "Why did my wife use drugs?" and a little guilt about that. You know how men like to be all macho and all.
First, you are right. You have to stay focused on your recovery. But, you do need a "sit down" with him and have him express his feelings. I'm sure you both are little islands right now. Take this time to build your relationship up, not divide and conquer. Does that make sense?
As nurses, we try to "fix" everything. You can't do that. You can only fix you. Try to be there for him. Mention the possiblity that he could be depressed. Don't "blow up" That fixes NOTHING. Trust me, I know.
Good luck, and I hope you feel somewhat better just "getting it off your chest"
Keep us posted. and BIG HUGS YOUR WAY!!! This too shall pass.
- Jan 22, '09 by dusky1228Depression was the first thing to cross my mind too.
- Jan 22, '09 by mortei am thinking depression and maybe some ADD? perhaps, if you two can live on your income, this would be HIS time to hook up with a counselor, get a thorough eval. and some additional education? an interest inventory test thrown in there too? good luck
- Jan 22, '09 by psalmWill be praying for you both. AND bless you for seeing c&s as a priority!!
- Jan 22, '09 by DDRN4meno advice...prayers for both of you..oh, and no flames...just gentle hugs :heartbeat
- Jan 22, '09 by Grace OzNo words of wisdom from me either, just a BIG ((((HUG)))) and to tell you to remember to take small steps, one day at a time. Look after YOU! You and your recovery are priority.
- Jan 22, '09 by SassyErRnWow you guys, thank you so very much for the prayers and hugs. I needed that.
Last night when I got home from work we sat down and talked about the situation. I couldn't help but cry and long story short, I told him that I have tried to be supportive and understanding but it's time for him to step it up and get any job that pays. I told him I didn't want him to be miserable at a job but he needs to be an adult. He has an interview monday for a collections company but its comission only but I told him it doesn't hurt to interview. After that we will see. He knows though that he might need to work retail until something more fitting comes along.
So overall it was a good talk. He got to see how the situation has taken it's toll and I pretty much can't take it anymore. I was actually thinking we would end up fighting but I was able to approach him in a kind way eventhough I am pi$$ed. I married him for a reason. And he stuck with me through my rocky times and I will do the same.
Thanks again for "listening". You guys are great!:flowersfo
- Jan 22, '09 by southernbeegirlWow sass...that's alot to bear. Lots of hugs and prayers for you! I hope you are talking about this with your sponsor and not keeping it in. remember...our minds are a scary neighborhood to hang out in alone!
I agree...it sounds like he may be depressed or even possibly he uses? no matter...just remember that you cant control anyone. it will keep you sane.
we love ya woman!