Feeling like a servant - page 2
by nurseywifeymommy1 14,343 Views | 62 Comments
Do you guys ever feel like the families and sometimes patients treat you like u are the waitress? Or like they are ur only patient? It really irritated me today.... Read More
- 22Dec 31, '12 by VishwamitrOnce I received a great compliment when a patient's family commented, "Nurses are the only professionals who 'serve' sincerely and with a genuine smile although they are in a non-tipping position." Perhaps, nurses should get 1% of their hospital bill as gratuity.
- 1Dec 31, '12 by shamrokksQuote from VishwamitrOh I like this idea VERY MUCH!Once I received a great compliment when a patient's family commented, "Nurses are the only professionals who 'serve' sincerely and with a genuine smile although they are in a non-tipping position." Perhaps, nurses should get 1% of their hospital bill as gratuity.
- 3Dec 31, '12 by nursej22To echo another thread, (in a sarcastic voice): Oh for shame, you cold unfeeling nurse. You should understand the fear and anxiety your patients and families are experiencing. By partnering together as a team, we can nurture and optimize their experience.
- 2Dec 31, '12 by MijourneyI'm going to chime in with a different perspective. I do believe that nurses are servants. Physicians and other staff are servants as well. If you will go deep with me for a moment, especially believers, our purpose in this life is to serve a higher power. We serve that higher power by serving others. Right?
The connotation of servant however does not sit well with most of us. I understand that. I frequently feel exploited and misused by managers and staff alike even some so-called friends and family. I resent being exploited but I try not to respond negatively because it causes me more pain to be bitter than to do better.
No I don't like being exploited and misused but at the same time I think the people that are being condescending towards me are spiritually worse off than I.
- 4Dec 31, '12 by 08RNGradIts about entitlement. If a visitor of a patient feels entitled to a drink or snack, then they will sure not be getting anything from me. Only thing they will get is directions to the caf. If a visitor has been supportive and helpful I from time to time will offer a drink or snack.