ER nurse new to LTC!!!
- 0May 30, '07 by DaretoDreamRNi have been a rn for almost a year. er nursing is all i've ever known or done. no routine meds or calling a doctor on the phone for a panic result or any other issue..the doctors are usually a few feet away from me. more autonomy in my ability to initiate orders. i have no idea about scheduled meds but i know a whole lot about medications in general due to practice.
i just got this prn job at a ltc facility. they called the unit a transitional care unit. my orientation is for 5 days, then i am put to work.
i dont think im worried about the skilled part. more about the paperwork and the routine. i dont know if the orientation is sufficient or i am just not believing in myself enough... i dont know!
- 1,773 Views
- 0May 31, '07 by Jo DirtI've become so disgusted and disillusioned with what I've seen in LTC I won't go back, but from the years I worked there I know that you just have to figure out your own personalized routine. It will be hard to prioritize and get things going at first but you will get the hang of it.
- 0May 31, '07 by nightmareI only had two half days orientation before I was chucked in at the deep end!Basically you rely very heavily on your good carers for a few shifts until you grasp your own routine.Take plenty of notes and try and have a good look round when you've time,hunt in cupboards,check out rooms etc until you feel familiar with the place,gradually all the rest will fall into place.
- 0May 31, '07 by TheCommuter Asst. AdminQuote from LizzieJThe average LTC orientation lasts between 2 and 3 days. You should feel extremely fortunate to receive a generously whopping 5 day orientation.So is it feasible with 5 days orientation?
Unfortunately, I received only 8 hours of orientation, and this was my very first nursing-related job upon completing school.
- 0Jun 2, '07 by BigBQuote from LizzieJDon't take less than 2 weeks, especially being new to LTC. Also, watch the patient to nurse ratios in LTC. They don't abide by the 5:1 ratio. You could end up like me with 48 pateints. I wish you luck, but the current state of LTC is not good (at least in this area).So is it feasible with 5 days orientation?
- 0Jun 2, '07 by BigBQuote from motorcycle mamaSame here. I left in disgust after only 3 months , never to return to LTC.I've become so disgusted and disillusioned with what I've seen in LTC I won't go back, but from the years I worked there I know that you just have to figure out your own personalized routine. It will be hard to prioritize and get things going at first but you will get the hang of it.