You won't believe.....
- 13Oct 9, '13 by NanikRNTrue story from this morning---
I'm in break room , reading document student comes in to use computer to preview pts for clinical tomorrow
Hi I'm Sally student
Me - still intent on document--mumbles hi
Student --I guess you don't like students I've heard about nurses eating their young
Me: still reading--huhh?
Really? Give me a break
- 8Oct 9, '13 by sharpeimom GuideThat makes me think of a cartoon from a New Yorker magazine I had on my fridge until it disintegrated. It showed a middle-aged man answering the phone.
He says: "No, my wife isn't home right now. She's out taking umbrage."Last edit by sharpeimom on Oct 10, '13 : Reason: omitted a word
- 34Oct 10, '13 by Esme12 Asst. AdminIn defense of the student....I would have looked up and smiled and said "Hi.... I'm Esme, is there something I can help you with?"....she is after all a stranger in your breakroom.
I tell my kids, manners matter......as my daughter enters the nursing world I also explain to her to remain polite regardless of any rudeness she may perceive or encounter as she enters the adult world.
- 6Oct 10, '13 by Wrench PartyI wonder if she's a first semester student with little exposure to hospital culture- in that case I would have corrected her gently.
Now if she's actively trying to kill your patient (ex. trying to give the wrong med without knowing why), that's a different matter entirely.
- 29Oct 10, '13 by mindlorI am with Esme here. I go way way WAY out of my way for students. Many times the make the difference between a horrible shift and a bearable shift. Plus I love the chance to help shape a new nurse and show them the way things are done properly. We just got a fresh crop yesterday...first semester, very first time on a hospital floor. By the end of the day they were all thrilled and super excited and super motivated. They thanked us for being so kind to them. When I was a student I was frequently treated horribly. Every nurse out there was once a student. It is a shame that some of them have forgotten where they came from......