What is the one piece of advice you wish you could tell yourself as a nursing studentRegister Today!
- by Mini-Murse May 19, '11The topic says it all. What's the one thing you wish you could tell your younger self, either as a student, or as a newb nurse?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=568065©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,050 Views
- May 19, '11 by MoogieHave confidence in yourself! I lacked self-confidence as a student and a new nurse and that lack of confidence held me back personally and professionally.
It took me many years go grow some backbone and learn to stand up for myself. Now I choose my battles and sometimes I let things go, but I'm no longer a pushover. I would have been much happier in my career and in life had I figured this out earlier.
- May 19, '11 by casiIt's okay to stop and breathe or pee.
There is nothing wrong with a little bit of prozac to help you get through the day.
- May 19, '11 by RNMegAs a student, I wish I had paid more attention to the unit routines. I think I would have been more confident if I knew what I was supposed to be doing at any given time. Also, I was kind of scared of "difficult" patients as a student (vents, especially). I wish I could tell myself to get over it, because it's not that big of a deal for me now.
- May 19, '11 by psu_213You're not going to be perfect--deal with it! You will miss IVs, have struggles with time management, etc. (P.S. be perfect when it comes to med. administration though!)
- May 19, '11 by iNurseUKTake your time. Get used to wherever you are placed. Older nurses are your lifeline. Above all go in eyes open and willing to pitch in and learn.
- May 19, '11 by annisterTake any and every opportunity that presents itself (and seek new ones) to perform skills that you have "learned." If you practice as a student, you have one less worry when you start your first nursing job. Bite the bullet and DO IT!
- May 19, '11 by Kateoh82Have faith in yourself. You are stronger and smarter than you think. Keep your head up during rough times and never give up!
- May 19, '11 by imintroubleNursing is more physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging than you can possibly imagine.
Be prepared for exhaustion.
- May 19, '11 by Flo.Have a little fun!