What makes you want to vomit? - page 2
by madwife2002 8,478 Views | 58 Comments Senior Moderator
I have just read an interesting article about nurses which says that there are certain things we do or see as Nurses which makes us want to vomit. So what makes you want to vomit? I don't really have much that makes me... Read More
- 4Dec 7, '12 by Mom To 4I absolutely hate trach care and respiratory secretions. That awful hacking sound gives me the skeeves:***: Also, not a fan of being wrist deep in a necrotic Stage 4 cleaning and packing that thing knowing full good and well it will never heal.
- 6Dec 7, '12 by turnforthenurseRNIleostomies with a GI bleed. Worst smell I have ever experienced!!! And the ileostomy had a lot of output, too, so I had to empty that thing multiple times...
Mouth care on patients who have not received mouth care in a long time. I received a patient from a nursing home with aspiration pneumonia. Patient was supposed to be on a full liquid diet but was given solid food so the patient vomited and aspirated. Apparently the patient stayed at this nursing home for a little while before coming to me. No one even bothered to clean out their mouth. I did some meticulous mouth care on this patient and what I found was NASTY. Yellow crusts on the lips, teeth, and tongue...things coming out of the mouth....yuck. I almost wanted to gag, but I saved face because even though this patient was NOT alert & oriented, I could tell they were having their mouth actually cleaned for once. And the family seemed to be more at ease knowing that this patient is finally getting some basic care they have been lacking.
- 8Dec 7, '12 by turnforthenurseRNQuote from Mom To 4Anybody here watch The Walking Dead? Suctioning those secretions reminds me of the same sounds those walkers make....I absolutely hate trach care and respiratory secretions. That awful hacking sound gives me the skeeves:***: Also, not a fan of being wrist deep in a necrotic Stage 4 cleaning and packing that thing knowing full good and well it will never heal.
- 3Dec 8, '12 by eatmysoxRNPatients who actually reek of filth get to me. It's an indescribable smell but so intense and when you leave the room you just keep smelling it. And feet. I hate huge thick yellow toenails and it makes me gaggy. I have immense respect for podiatrists everywhere.
- 2Dec 8, '12 by NursieNurseLPNIn school, we had a poor woman with large breasts who had a wash cloth left under them for who knows how long. That smell and situation will stay with me always! I always always always attempt the best skin fold/ under breast care i can now. Ugh that bothered me far more than the bm, vomit, and suctioning. I even remember her when im showering!! (Weird, i know)