Quote from LovingLife123
Back in my retail days, my company came up with this brilliant idea that we would wax our own floors. I spent many overnights stripping and waxing. I never had any type of reaction.
You may just have some type of allergy. The answer is to wear a mask when you notice they are going to wax since you have an issue with it.
No, the answer is NOT "wear a mask" First, most likely all you'll find is surgical masks and they do not stop the fumes from volatile chemicals from reaching the airways (and certainly not the eyes). And even if you have access to an N95, it isn't going to stop the fumes from reaching the airways.
People who have chemical sensitivities can request a reasonable accommodation provided they have documentation. OP appears that she does. And quite frankly, if this issue is as severe for her as she says, I think she should request the accommodation.
I have, in the past, had to request accommodation because of chemical sensitivity. What I have learned, sometimes you won't get the accommodation you need because it isn't possible (for example, using bleach to clean a room, or bleach wipes to clean equipment in a c-diff room. They aren't going to be able to stop that). However, my former unit did have to remove all the solid air fresheners, I was given time off when they painted the halls, and when they stripped and rewaxed the floors, I was also given time off (3 days). That is a reasonable accommodation.
Telling someone to just wear a mask, is not reasonable for the person affected by the chemicals.