May I speak to Dr. so&so?Register Today!
This is a discussion on May I speak to Dr. so&so? in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... I just had to share this. Last night one of the nurses had to call one of those docs NOONE wants...by Alibaba Mar 12, '08I just had to share this.
Last night one of the nurses had to call one of those docs NOONE wants to call in the middle of the night. Anyways, she calls and has the guy on speaker phone coz that's who he is and that's what we've gotta do when we call him.
He starts yelling and basically cursing her out but she wasn't got have that so she calmly waited for him to finish and she says
"Am sorry, May speak with dr. so&so? My name is...am calling from..."
The doc sounding a bit confused says "This IS dr so&so. I've been talking to you for 5 minutes"
The nurse says "Am sorry u misunderstand me. Am calling to speak with dr so&so about his patient and I just know that u couldn't be him because no doc is his right mind and a license to protect would dare speak to me or any nurse like that when they are calling not to chat about the weather but about the health and wellness of his patient. I am sure you understand. So when he comes in, could you kindly have him call me @ #. I would really like to speak to him soon or am going to have to call the medical director in the middle of the night. And we all know how pleasantly that would turn out. Don't we dear?"
And hang up the phone!!!
A minute later, the doc calls back and says "This is dr so&so. someone page me?"
She is my hero.:bowingpur
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=288140©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 11,898 Views
- Mar 12, '08 by luckylucyrnThat is awesome! She's way tougher than I could ever be! Go nurses!
- Mar 12, '08 by RN-CardiacYES!!!! I love it!! Good for her!! Please pat her on the back for me.
- Mar 12, '08 by rn/writerWhat a gracious, yet effective, way to get her point across. I admire that kind of confident and creative boundary-setting. I shall file this away for future reference.
- Mar 12, '08 by DalzacI have done something similar but wasn't near as cool as your friend. ADoc was screaming at me and I said "when you are thru with your ranting and raving I would like to talk to you about your patient that is almost dead. What do you want me to do?" I had nowhere near the finesse your friend had. I l9oved it
- Mar 12, '08 by Nicky30Oh that was sooooo cool. Better than a suspense movie, had me on the edge of my seat right to the end.
She is my hero too.
- Mar 12, '08 by TweetyOMG! I love her!
- Mar 12, '08 by Miami NightNurseI love it. I've told several Doctors over the years that I am not gonna to let them talk to me like that and slammed the phone down but that was only because there were plenty of other doctors on the patients case I could call. But I love what that nurse did. Awesome!!!
- Mar 12, '08 by jmgrn65I love it that is so cool.
- Mar 12, '08 by crissrn27That woman has nerves of steel and a spine to match! Go her!