I just got fired... what the hell happened?Register Today!
This is a discussion on I just got fired... what the hell happened? in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... Ok , this came out of left field... at least to ME! I was fired today. Whoa, the reality is...by NocturneNrse Nov 29, '10Ok , this came out of left field... at least to ME!
I was fired today. Whoa, the reality is setting in now... or is that the wine I'm drinking? UGH.
Got called into a meeting w/the supervisor and HR (or, as I like to refer to them, INhumane resources).
Suddenly - thrust into my lap, are allegations of patient safety issues, complaints made by my coworkers (of a different shift).
Ok.. you're wondering.. "then why are you so shocked?"
Here's the kicker...
THEY ARE ALL, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, LIES LIES LIES!!!!
I normally would question a post where someone stated all complaints against them were lies.. heck, I questioned my own SELF... Did I really do that? Could I have forgotten NOT taking care of a pressure 210/100? Did I NOT give an anti-inflammatory to a pt w/COPD??? Did I sign off meds that I hadn't actually GIVEN??? NEVER.. I addressed each and every one of those issues.. AND documented in notes. *****!!!
Holy crap... I've heard of being bamboozled - but never thought this would exist in a supposed caring profession.
Never thought *I* would be on the receiving end of these falsehoods!!!
And yet, here I sit - without a job - a worse yet, without hope for this profession. WHY are some people so back-biting and just plain EVIL?
And.. WHY .. WHY is their word TAKEN for truth, without being thoroughly investigated? This isn't right, it shouldn't be allowed to happen.. yet it does.
I'm happy for the time off, believe me.. I could use a break. But, damn, the humiliation - the second guessing myself - seeing those s.o.b's act as though they're so righteous, and faultless.. when.. damn, where the HELL is their conscience?
Ok.. so now I feel like a failure - like I've actually been a horrible nurse - but why can't I make myself believe that? WHY do I still find my actions correct in proper and DAMNIT GOOD care of my patients!????
Ugh.. maybe it IS the wine..
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=518651©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 20,217 Views
- Nov 29, '10 by linearthinkerI'd give my eye teeth to get fired and collect unemployment, lol. Seriously, if the whole thing really is unjustified, you are better off someplace else, but totally unjustified might mean you have a case against them. I'd never fight for a job that lousy, but if you are up to it, find an attorney.
- Nov 29, '10 by GooeyRNI'm so sorry. I hope you find a better job when you are ready. I wouldn't want to work for a place that is so dishonest like that.
- Nov 29, '10 by MBARNBSNQuote from nocturnenrse*cough* lawyer-up *cough*here's the kicker...
they are all, every single one of them, lies lies lies!!!!
- Nov 29, '10 by NocturneNrseI love you guys.. you made me smile.. on this freakin dismal day!
- Nov 29, '10 by nursie nurseyes you're right - this seems out of left field! Did you get a verbal or written warning or even an informal one to one with your boss before it escalated to this?? I'd be in a state of shock too and I'm sorry for what you're going thru......once the smoke clears, i would investigate why and how it came to this because it could damage your reputation as a nurse for future job hunts.......good luck to you!
- Nov 29, '10 by jmrusaIs there a union at your facility? If so get them on this ASAP.
- Nov 29, '10 by caliotter3I would at least make an initial cursory attempt at clearing this up with the help of an employment attorney, because I can bet you the next paycheck that you don't get that you will be stone walled as you search for a new job. And do not think for one minute that the employer can not and will not convey to prospective employers the negative nature of your termination. Seek the help of an employment attorney as soon as you sober up. Best wishes.
- Nov 29, '10 by guinansThis has happened to me, and more than once in my 25 years as a practicing nurse. Its really painful, I know. Usually its because you've ruffled someone's feathers somewhere, usually a person in a position of power. Had you noticed anything unethical going on at your place of employement and spoken up about it to someone? It could be anyone really, who might have ratted you out. Once I agreed with an upset family member that the care her father had been receiving at our hospital was substandard. The family member used my words to complain to a manager "see, even his NURSE agrees this is wrong!". All the sudden administration found all sorts of things wrong with my work. I was gone the next day. What are you going to do. The family member was right and I was right and I hope patient was OK in the end because I'd called it like I saw it. Other times I've openly taken a stand and boy they'll rip you to shreds for that. You can try lawyering up. However, if your State is an "at will" employment State your employer doesn't need any reason at all to fire you. You'll need to prove damages beyong the firing, like if you use them as a reference and they start spouting this stuff without proof to a prospective employer. Also, if you file for unemployment compensation you'll likely get it. You're employer has to give warnings and work on a documented plan of improvement with you before firing -at least as far as the unemployment office is concerned
- Nov 29, '10 by Lil'mamaI'm sorry this happened to you. That is one of my huge fears. I trust no one!