Any nurses with issue of leg edema?Register Today!
- by artistnurse Nov 9, '10What do you do to help alleviate it?
- Nov 9, '10 by LuckyinKYI have unexplained leg edema, and wear compression stockings when I am on my feet. Once I am home, I make it a point to elevate my feet, I even try to elevate them if I am on a break or sitting. I also will sleep with them elevated with a pillow if it is really bad. Also make sure you wear good, supportive shoes.
- Nov 9, '10 by kakamegamamaProp feet up as often as possible. Have a physical to be sure there aren't any cardiac issues/kidney issues. Decrease salt/sodium in the diet. Wear good support hose. Walk, try not to stand in one place a lot. Drink plenty of water. Don't cross legs when sitting/don't cross ankles.
- Nov 9, '10 by Nascar nurseI am 4 weeks post DVT with some residual edema...worse on working days (go figure). Anyways, compression hose and elevate leg even if sitting for a few minutes.
- Nov 9, '10 by MJB2010Jobst stockings, they help a lot!
- Nov 9, '10 by lilypad2424exercise
- Nov 9, '10 by awsmfunOn my last trip to Mexico and bought Lasix 40mg and take 10-20mg every now and then. I have an RX for it here but it is cheaper there.
- Nov 10, '10 by totally_nutsted stockings!!
- Nov 10, '10 by nancy324I had unexplained leg and foot edema and had a venous doppler of the BLLE and found out that I had incompetent valves :< Now I wear athletic compression stocking that I get from Discount Surgical Stockings - value brand which are soft, cushioned and much cheaper than the name brands. I also elevate my legs and sometimes even do a quick icing if they are particularly bad. Make sure there is no medical reason for your edema. Good luck!
- Nov 10, '10 by DeLanaHarvickWannabeQuote from awsmfunYou are braver than I, let me say that.On my last trip to Mexico and bought Lasix 40mg and take 10-20mg every now and then. I have an RX for it here but it is cheaper there.
I've noticed that my lower extremity edema has to do with my fluid and sodium intake. I wore compression stockings for a while, but they didn't seem to help. Now I just make sure I drink plenty of non-caffeinated beverages and choose fresh food for my work lunch rather than frozen meals.