strictly business/non-caring LPN

Nurses General Nursing

Published

new here 38yr old male looking into the LPN schooling because there are no jobs in my area,I currently work 3rd shift as a youth development aide at a so called treatment center,it's really just a place for criminals 16-20 to hang out and lift weights and beat up staff--where I get mandated for 16hr shifts all the time because people are abusing the system calling off sick or faking injuries,they keep hiring skinny little boys and girls fresh out of college to deal with muscle bound gangbangers from Philly

I was a combat medic in the army national guards a few yrs ago and now I'm looking into LPN as a career but I know how I am with people--I just want to get the job done and whiny little fakers just piss me off and I have no sympathy or time for that crap

so I guess my question is- can I get away with just being me, passing meds, giving treatments and doing the paperwork etc etc without kissing any ass and pretending to feel sorry for those that just seek attention

I'm not a complete prick all the time I can tell the difference from somone in need of care and somone who is just being a baby

I have children and I've been hurt plenty of times myself

guess I really just want a job where I can pass meds and do paperwork and not much else-somebody else can do the hiny powdering:D

I think if you find you "niche" you could do quite well. I had no illusions about "my calling" or "just wanting to help others". I went into nursing because I wanted to have a good job I could support my family on if something happened to my spouse. Did I like it? Yep. Am I still doing it? Nope.

If I were you I would definitely just stay away from certain specialties. :) ER being one of those. You'll see a lot of whiners/drug seekers/people that just plain old abuse the system there too. YOu might want to try long term care. Or you might want to continue on to RN and do something where you don't have as much patient contact. :) It's all possible.

Good luck. I hope you can find something that suits you.

Specializes in jack of all trades.

I was an 8th Inf MP regular for 4 years in a nasty place in Germany called Baumholder so I know how you feel and probably more so LOL, I came out and became a police officer then when recruited to the State Police my husband also an officer became ancy with my work. So I ended up going for my BSN. At least as an officer I could give back near as much as they dished out. But in nursing that was a HUGE change from the norm in how I could respond to idiots. Also I found the majority of them were unable to help thier actions comparative to those on the street. In your line of work you may want to consider Correctional nursing down the road and go on for your RN. Correctional you can at least tell them right out your not falling for the con and have them removed. There are times when yes I would love to give one a good smack back but realistically I know I have to smile, be kind, and move on. I didnt have to change who I was but I did rethink my attitude about particularly type people as in the medical setting you will see it's much different the way you actually "see" some people. Right now you have no medical explanations for behaviors and bad behavior is just bad behavior. Difficult to explain but the difference does grow on you and you will do the right thing in each situation almost as naturally as it comes to right now to not take the bs.

Specializes in Emergency & Trauma/Adult ICU.

As long as you value providing the best care possible for your patients there's no reason you can't do well.

I have a different take than the previous poster ... if you enjoyed your previous experience as a medic, you may want to consider working in the ER, though opportunities for LPNs in the ER (and, in my area, hospitals in general) are few & far between. Consider going the RN route.

Good luck to you. :) (from an RN in the ER who calls 'em as she sees 'em)

Um, if you cant handle "whining" I dont think you'd be able to handle being an LPN. Specially not in LTC. You dont always have aides to answer your lights and whatnot, and you're gonna have to go into a room sometimes and move a water pitcher for Ms Smith because it's two inches to the left, and she likes it sitting right in the center of her bed tray table.

Unless you could find a supervisory position somewhere, I really dont see any job in nursing being strictly bussiness. And regardless of whether you choose to believe it, you cant always pick out the whiners. You'll have some that whine constantly, then actually end up having something wrong with them.

I also think maybe you'd be a good fit for corrections nursing. I worked there for thirteen years. There's lots of whining but you don't have to put up with it.

And the inmates generally don't give the male nurses near as much crap as they do the females.

new here 38yr old male looking into the LPN schooling because there are no jobs in my area,I currently work 3rd shift as a youth development aide at a so called treatment center,it's really just a place for criminals 16-20 to hang out and lift weights and beat up staff--where I get mandated for 16hr shifts all the time because people are abusing the system calling off sick or faking injuries,they keep hiring skinny little boys and girls fresh out of college to deal with muscle bound gangbangers from Philly

I was a combat medic in the army national guards a few yrs ago and now I'm looking into LPN as a career but I know how I am with people--I just want to get the job done and whiny little fakers just piss me off and I have no sympathy or time for that crap

so I guess my question is- can I get away with just being me, passing meds, giving treatments and doing the paperwork etc etc without kissing any ass and pretending to feel sorry for those that just seek attention

I'm not a complete prick all the time I can tell the difference from somone in need of care and somone who is just being a baby

I have children and I've been hurt plenty of times myself

guess I really just want a job where I can pass meds and do paperwork and not much else-somebody else can do the hiny powdering:D

With your previous experience as an army medic and as a social worker?/youth development aide, I would think that you could do well in a number of settings as an LPN. I have the greatest respect and admiration for the ex-Army and Navy medics I have worked with and I wonder if you might have skills considerably more advanced than those of many LPNs. ??? I have often wondered just how the armed forces could train their medics so well in such a short time, and why schools of nursing don't study and imitate some of the Army and Navy methods.

If you think you'd like to try your hand at nursing, welcome aboard! We always need good people!

Specializes in Critical Care, Cardiothoracics, VADs.

I'm a little concerned with the title "non-caring LPN"! Of course you can be a nurse if you are straight forward and not into coddling people, but I don't think you can be a good nurse without caring about your patients.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Perinatal, Float.

also, what about becoming an RN and doing something in the OR, or ICU? the pt tend to be unconcious and not complaining, or on ventilators..

I will post a response to this one because I think we have much in common here. I'm a male LPN (almost RN) --take the test in a month or so. I'm ex Army, did 4yrs durring DS. I have 3 kids myself. I am also not keen on putting up with the boo hoo crap but you do have to at times. The real world nursing in most situations is not all that bad--as a matter of fact I think there is no other job for me. On the other hand, men think differently than women most of the time. The only time my "uncaring attitude" came into play was in nursing school with instructors that missunderstood me. Just because I don't hold the hand of a 34 year old druggie whimp does not mean I don't have simpathy for his or her situation. I realize and KNOW when simpathy is needed and when it needs tough love or whatever you wish to call it. The others that have said that you would do well in correctional nursing are right on the money. PERFECT fit for you. MOST of these people do not need or deserve your simpathy--just treatment for whatever is wrong. As always, this is only my opinion, several nurses will find it offensive, others will not.

Tom

Specializes in jack of all trades.
I will post a response to this one because I think we have much in common here. I'm a male LPN (almost RN) --take the test in a month or so. I'm ex Army, did 4yrs durring DS. I have 3 kids myself. I am also not keen on putting up with the boo hoo crap but you do have to at times. The real world nursing in most situations is not all that bad--as a matter of fact I think there is no other job for me. On the other hand, men think differently than women most of the time. The only time my "uncaring attitude" came into play was in nursing school with instructors that missunderstood me. Just because I don't hold the hand of a 34 year old druggie whimp does not mean I don't have simpathy for his or her situation. I realize and KNOW when simpathy is needed and when it needs tough love or whatever you wish to call it. The others that have said that you would do well in correctional nursing are right on the money. PERFECT fit for you. MOST of these people do not need or deserve your simpathy--just treatment for whatever is wrong. As always, this is only my opinion, several nurses will find it offensive, others will not.

Tom

Well said!!!

the thing about nursing is that there are so many different jobs you can always seem to find the place that you need for your own particular personality

agree with others, if at all possible go the rn route much more opportunities

+ Add a Comment