Just had an emotional breakdown at work.

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I just had an emotional breakdown at work. I couldn't stop crying, I yelled at co-workers who didn't deserve it, cried in front of several doctors and was barely able to care for my patients, I made a idiot of myself to my manager.....down....down....down until I realized that I needed to leave. I didn't see it comming....it just hit me all of a sudden. Yes there are alot of things going on in my personal life....last child left the nest...another pregnant...etc that I know we all have going on. Then at work we got started late with report, MD's wanting information NOW!, orders not put in from previous shift, drains backing-up in patients rooms.....supplies missing...etc. It was just too much. I ended up leaving early due to my request and insistance of my manager. My replacement arrived 30 min later. I was still crying..barely able to give report to her and finish my charting.

Now (several hours later and at home) I feel so ashamed, How can I face the people that I work with? I have been given several letters and awards of recognition during the last couple of months for being an excellent Nurse in my department. I feel like I have let everyone I work with down. And my patients down. I didn't cry in front of my patients or feel I compromised their care-but felt I could have if I had finished the shift.

Has this happened to any of you? How did you handle it when you went back to work? I've only been a Nurse for 5 years now and I feel so exhausted. :o

It can be a tough job, especially with the personalities that you have to deal with in the hospital. I beleve most all of us have had experiences like you described in one form or another so you are not alone. I have melted down at work and seen other nurses do what you described.

I think everyone understands that ths happens. So you just get over it and they do too. Go back to work and do your job the best you know how. Try to learn what precipitated it so maybe next time when you begin to feel overwhelmed you can see it coming, go somewhere for a few minutes and take a deep breath and get yourself together.

I don't think it is anything to be ashamed of and I would not consider that you had let me down. Behavior is like any other function of the human body, sometimes it just does't do what we want it to. Sounds like you are an excellent nurse, you were yesterday, and you are today, and will be tomorrow, I don't thn that has changed. :)

You poor kid. I think you just have the misfortune of being human and having too much on your plate. Maybe you need a break from work (maybe a week will do it). Perhaps some proffessional help (no shame in that). I think a good way of handling it is to request to speak to your manager ASAP, befor returning to work and seeing what can be done realistically. If you were ill, you would call in sick. Well, you sound like you should have called in this shift. We all have those days where we are close to losing it, you just had it bad. I'll bet with your great track record, the other staff and docs know you are NOT usually a basketcase (you mentioned several awards). Perhaps you built up too high opf an expectation of yourself. Just take care of yourself first, or as you have found out, you are of no use to your patients.

Good luck now.

Thank You Ainz for your reply. I needed to hear what you had to say.

And Thank You also sharann, You both have got me crying again. But a good type of cry - knowing that I'm am being supported.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

((((((((((((((((((((unikue)))))))))))))))))))))

in this experience you are not "unikue"

we understand. take care.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

It's o.k.

Sounds like you need a vacation. Maybe a good physical wouldn't hurt either. Some exercise. Some cookies. A back rub. Be good to yourself.

Do not be ashamed you have nothing to be ashamed of. Sure your, coworkers are going to talk about you, but the good ones will be understanding.

Specializes in Alzheimer's, Geriatrics, Chem. Dep..
Originally posted by unikuelady

Has this happened to any of you? How did you handle it when you went back to work? :o

Ooo, yes. I mean, I have had short crying jags before but I was always able to pull it together to finish the shift.

BUT in 1985 I lost it so bad I DID jeopardize my patients. I was working ICU and had been for about 3 years (4 years total as a nurse). I had two ventilator patients and had an orientee as my only other staff person! I had been having trouble with anxiety and depression but that night! Oh Lord, I just tilted! I had one pt. who was fighting the vent and trying to remove his ET tube, I went to give him Valium and his IV had been pulled, somehow, though he was restrained! Meanwhile the other pt's vent was alarming like crazy and the nurse assigned to me couldn't even go tell me if he was in distress, she was so wigged out!

Well, I just lost it, it had been building for a LONG time, stress at work, stress at home, had never been charge, and to have this nurse with NO ICU experience as my backup, sigh...)

Anyway, I had some severe emotional problems I had to take care of, I was out of nursing entirely for two years!

So yeah, I have :) But I'm doing fairly well now.

Hopefully in your case it was just a fluke :) and we all embarrass ourselves SOME how SOME where. I know of one nurse in our transitional respiratory unit who literally stood in the middle of the unit and SCREAMED "I can't take it anymore!" She had to get some help :)

So, anyway, I feel for you so much, it is very humilitating but shouldn't be. We're human too. Do what you gotta do to take care of YOU!

xo

Specializes in Corrections, Psych, Med-Surg.

"I think everyone understands that ths happens. So you just get over it and they do too. Go back to work and do your job the best you know how. Try to learn what precipitated it so maybe next time when you begin to feel overwhelmed you can see it coming, go somewhere for a few minutes and take a deep breath and get yourself together."

I agree. See a counselor/therapist or join a gym--if these things would be useful. Just say "no" to Starbucks.

Specializes in MS Home Health.

Yes we are all human and sometimes our personnal lives spill over into work. Does your company have an EAP?

renerian

Specializes in Critical Care.

It sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice. I really think you should have a heart to heart with your manager. Also make an appointment with your Dr. I'm wondering how old you are, with a dtr old enough to be pregnant and your children leaving home, I'm wondering about hormone changes.

I wish you the best of luck and am sending you ((((((HUGS))))))))).

Noney

Specializes in Case Management, Home Health, UM.

(((Hugs))) :kiss I know what you are going through, Hun. Three months ago, I was on the verge of a meltdown, too: WAY too much work for one human being to handle, in SEVERE pain with my lower back and financial problems. I was at work one day, when I realized that if I didn't leave, I was going to lose it, too. I picked up my purse and announced to my supervisor that I was going to my doctor about my back. That was on July 9th, and I wound up taking FMLA, not only to get ESI treatments..but also to get some semblence of perspective back and get my financial affairs in order. It was the BEST thing I could have ever done for myself....as well as my family, who had lost their mother, their grandmother and a sister, because when I wasn't working, I was at home in bed...crying.

Please take care of yourself. I've discovered (after 52 years), that no one else is going to take care of me but me ...and sometimes you just gotta do, what you gotta do:)

+ Add a Comment