Nurses with Knee Problems

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Nurses with Knee Problems from Floor Surfaces?

Work on tile floor and no knee problem
      Work on carpeted floor, no knee problem
      Work on tile floor, knee problem
      Work on carpeted floor, no knee problem
      None of these apply--please explain

51 members have participated

Specializes in Utilization Management.

Just curious: How many of us who work on tiled floors have a knee problem?

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I've had bad knees since my late 20s, and nursing certainly hasn't done them any favors. I'm looking at TKR, left knee first, within the next five years or less, especially if I don't lose some of this &*$#@ weight. :stone

Specializes in NICU.

I voted work on tile floor, no knee problems. I'm 29, been in nursing for 4.5 years.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.
I voted work on tile floor, no knee problems. I'm 29, been in nursing for 4.5 years.

Oh, just you wait another 15 years.......you won't be singing such a happy tune then! :chuckle

Specializes in NICU.
Oh, just you wait another 15 years.......you won't be singing such a happy tune then! :chuckle

I know! That's why I figured I should mention that I'm still young and haven't nursed for long... so as not to skew the poll results!

:rotfl:

Specializes in ER/Trauma.

I am not a nurse yet, but my Mom has been one for almost 40 years and is having a TKR this coming Thursday. She has been putting this off for several years.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I'm a very hefty old lady, at almost 47 and I've been a nurse for 13 years but before that I was active duty military.

Specializes in I don't have much experiance yet..

Well, I guess I am in for a rough road ahead!! I am starting my 1st semester of clinicals in Aug 05. I am 25 y/o and have Tendonitis in both knees but my right is is the worst. I figure-skated for many years when I was younger and I was very competitive. I know that is why I have bad knees. They don't act up all the time but when they do is can be unbarable. It doesn't matter if I am sitting or standing. However, if I am constantly moving the pain isn't as bad. If I take one Naproxen 500mg my knees don't hurt for about 8 hours. I know that since I am going into nursing I am going to have rough days but I refuse to let that stop me. I guess when I become a nurse, and I find out how much the tendonitis is going to bother me I will find out what I can have done about it. I am just grateful I don't have any other problems.

Jennifer

Have had bad knees since I was a junior in nursing school (over 30 yrs ago.) It's always been horrible to squat down (for instance to read the hourly urine output on a urimeter of a hanging foley bag.) I have found that keeping my quads very strong (some hours in the gym) works wonders and I've been able to avoid the knife.

BUT: I really hate it that they took Vioxx off the market!!!! That was the only drug that would make the discomfort go away. Worked better than Vicodan.

Specializes in Cardiac, Step-Down, Psych, Recruiting.

I left floor nursing a year ago after 8 years on tile floors. Just had major surgery (tibial osteotomy, VMO advance, lateral release, medial plication) on RK and will have the same done on LK in October. My original issues were congenital alignment issues, not caused by tile floors, but I'm sure the arthritis that sparked the pain (at age 36! :uhoh3:) wasn't helped at all by all the running up and down halls. Thankfully, I got off the floor beforehand, because I don't know what I'd have done without being able to work for the last 4 months post-op!

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

I've got knee problems on the right one, after years of being on my feet on tile or concrete floors, even before nursing.

I have had a right ACL repair w/ removal of my lateral meniscus(rugby :rolleyes: ) and I have had bouts of arthritis like symptoms since I was 12(Lupus) so I have always had knee problems, but I can help it with good shoes. If I wear my street shoes my knees and back will ache for a couple days.

+ Add a Comment