What was the MOST ridiculous thing a patient came to the ER for? - Page 5Register Today!
- Jun 30, '04 by AB_NormalRN16 yo male with a stubbed toe. Triaged and sat in the waiting room for 2 hours. He got angry and went home. Upon arrival at home he immediately called 911. EMS brought him back only to sit for 4 more hours. Thought that he would get back sooner. LOL!
- Jun 30, '04 by babynurselsaGot a tetnus shot 2 days ago aand now her arm hurts.
- Jun 30, '04 by MrsWampthangQuote from babynurselsaGot a tetnus shot 2 days ago aand now her arm hurts.
I swear we had that same complaint over the weekend, and of course we were swamped! Flew several people out to bigger trauma center, but had a waiting room full of people with STUPID complaints. Oh well, like someone else said:
Stupid people = job security! :chuckle
- Jun 30, '04 by hogan4736The number one reason our ERs are crowded is because most people lack insight...
- Jun 30, '04 by Marie_LPN, RNQuote from Ruby VeeSometimes i think that we have more per capita in this area.Half the world's population has a below average IQ!
- Jun 30, '04 by GompersQuote from kids-r-funI'm sorry, I know it was TMI.... :uhoh21:Anyone else feeling a little dizzy and queazy? I can't imagine having to do that to my self. Someone else no sweat, myself, I'd have passed out (and smacked my head and ended up with an ambulence ride to the ER).
- Jun 30, '04 by kidsQuote from GompersActually, it was rather facinating. Like I said...I could do it to someone else, doing it to my self I would end up with stitches in my head.I'm sorry, I know it was TMI.... :uhoh21:
- Jul 2, '04 by stephvrnHi new to the board, but had to add mine too.
1. Fresh Mesquito bite by ambulance(mom thought the child got West Nile)
2. Sunburn( yes it had been quite a bad sunburn....TWO WEEKS BEFORE)
3. Adult "toy" in an oriface and still running like the energizer bunny
4. 11 y/o that whooped up on three big male nurses for a scratch on her leg.
MOM was acting like the child had amputated her leg. Had AT LEAST a whole
roll of kerlix on it. Found out the wound was three days old an she needed
LORTAB for it
Tons more but those are some of the better ones
- Jul 3, '04 by stevieraeI'm tellin' ya, I worked ER as a corpsman 30 years ago, and it's like deja vu all over again hearing these stories--people using the ER as a convenience clinic, that is, because to call during the daytime and get an appointment in the appropriate clinic would disrupt their day.
But, hearing how you have to feed people nowadays--nope, I would never, ever do that. Ever. I don't care if they are homeless and hungry--there are other resources available. Especially when they manage to be able to afford cigarettes to go out in the ambulance bay area and smoke while hollering for their meal and snack trays and sodas. Hell with 'em, I'd say.
I feel like I am a burnt-out ER nurse just from READING these posts! I don't know how you folks put up with the nonsense! I'd go postal!Last edit by stevierae on Jul 4, '04
- Jul 3, '04 by kidsI almost went to the ER today. My family is laughing at me so y'all may as well too.
Some background: I had major back surgery in April. Due to some post op complications (near bowel obstruction then an adverse reaction to Wellbutrin) I vomited for 5 weeks (I lost 30 lbs) which landed me in the ER twice for dehydration. Needless to say I am just a little freaked out at the prospect of vomiting (tho I am very good at it now ).
Anyway, today I have a "little" migraine, doing OK keeping it tolerable with Excedrin & lots of water. It is a sunny day and I have to run a couple of errands that can not be put off because of the Holiday.
I am 10 minutes from home when my stomach revolts. I pull into a parking lot far from the street and any other cars and get the door open just in time to blow chow. There is a copious amount of bright red clumps. I am freaking, my heart is pounding and I am dizzy. I am sure I have blown an esophageal vessel. I debate it...should I continue home, should I go to the ER? I am in tears, I don't know what to do, I call my husband at work on my cell. Just as he answers the phone it dawns on me...
I ate a handfull of Hot Tamales (bright red cinnamon candy) just before I left the house an hour earlier.Last edit by kids on Jul 3, '04