Jump to content

What is your minimum base pay on Covid-19 unit???

I just need an approximate point. 

They are offering us way below the other facilities around . 

I want to help, and have been , but I come home and I feel used, as my life is worth only a few $ more an hour???? 

No I won't accept that anymore. 

Edited by NewRN'16

speedynurse specializes in ER.

I don’t work in a covid unit but I work in an ER with plenty of covid patients and don’t get paid any additional pay.

9 minutes ago, speedynurse said:

I don’t work in a covid unit but I work in an ER with plenty of covid patients and don’t get paid any additional pay.

We get exposed to the virus all out shift, and every other shift beyond. I don't think my life is worth 23$ an hour. Yes that much they pay me as an RN 😞

I want to help, but not for this anymore ..I feel really uneasy about everything that is going on. 

I feel lost 😞

I am sorry 

Btw , English is my second language, so don't attack me on that . 

Ty 😞

Edited by NewRN'16

5 minutes ago, NewRN'16 said:

We get exposed to the virus all out shift, and every other shift beyond. I don't think my life is worth 23$ an hour. Yes that much they pay me as an RN 😞

I want to help, but not for this anymore ..I feel really uneasy about everything that is going on. 

I feel lost 😞

I am sorry 

Btw , English is my second language, so don't attack me on that . 

Ty 😞

On edit : yhey pay is a few dollars more an hour. But I still feel as they don't appreciate us. Why so little , when I am 8/16 hours in direct pt contact??? 

I sorry 😢

ladycody specializes in CWON.

33 minutes ago, NewRN'16 said:

We get exposed to the virus all out shift, and every other shift beyond. I don't think my life is worth 23$ an hour. Yes that much they pay me as an RN 😞

That wage is insane...covid orno-covid. Don't know where you are but if that's the norm...I'm sorry.

50 minutes ago, ladycody said:

That wage is insane...covid orno-covid. Don't know where you are but if that's the norm...I'm sorry.

I'm in FL. They give a few dollars over , but that's my base pay. 

I can't work like this . 😢

54 minutes ago, ladycody said:

That wage is insane...covid orno-covid. Don't know where you are but if that's the norm...I'm sorry.

My wage increase from 22 to 23 dollars in 3 years .

You get paid what you ask for I guess . 

But this time the pay is more than just numbers

1 hour ago, ladycody said:

That wage is insane...covid orno-covid. Don't know where you are but if that's the norm...I'm sorry.

If I die of Covid -19 please don't let them get away with it!! 

😢

1 hour ago, ladycody said:

That wage is insane...covid orno-covid. Don't know where you are but if that's the norm...I'm sorry.

Same people who threatened to fire me for taking time off when my cat Roxy passed. They wrote me up. I could barely breath, she was my baby x my best friend.

This is my Roxy 

 

The DON said : go gave human babies. 

And she thretened me ..

Now I still work there , posibly dying. And they give is $5 differential??????.

Really

I out. 😢

 

 

Edited by NewRN'16

In my state LVNs earn more than $23 an hour and that is before Covid. If you can stand being unemployed or can move, I would consider resigning if I were you.

nursemarion has 35 years experience as a BSN.

2 hours ago, NewRN'16 said:

Same people who threatened to fire me for taking time off when my cat Roxy passed. They wrote me up. I could barely breath, she was my baby x my best friend.

This is my Roxy 

 

The DON said : go gave human babies. 

And she thretened me ..

Now I still work there , posibly dying. And they give is $5 differential??????.

Really

I out. 😢

I think that is one of the saddest things ever. People do not understand how we grieve for animals who are our best truest friends. It is no different than grieving for a person. I had one kitty girl, my Christine, for 21 years. A lifetime of changes and she was always there. You are expected to take no time off for pets and not grieve them. It is wrong and horrible. Hugs to you for your loss.

I am at $46,400 as an RN with over 30 years experience. Not all RN jobs are well paying. And I feel you because I do not want to die from this. I am 58 years old. I love nursing, but I do not want to die when I can barely make ends meet on my pay. I think about changing jobs every day. I keep hoping for a vaccine. I do not want to leave my family to fend for themselves because I died for a stupid job that does not appreciate me and only pays me $46,400.

As far a pay goes:  
Hospitals are like any business and pay what they need to get the workers they want.  Apparently in your hospital, they can get nurses for 23$ an hour.  Whether or not that is fair doesn't matter- they choose what they want to pay, you choose whether you want to work for that money.
And while your life is worth more than 23$ an hour, it is also worth more than 28$ an hour.  Many of us work with Covid PTs for no extra pay.

It sucks that hospitals in your area to feel obligated to pay fairly.

As far as pets go.  I think I have called out actually sick once in 15 years.  I also called out once to take my dog to the vet.  I have left early twice- once when my father died, once when my dog died.

It did not even occur to me to discuss with anybody whether calling out for a dog is legitimate.  If some idiot had chosen to "write me up" for it, I would be fine with that.  But, my life is structured so I can afford to look for a new job if I need, and I would not think twice about leaving my job over neglecting my dog.

Part of our unit recently became COVID overflow. No hourly/shift bonus for working on that side. Our "bonus" is that we have better staffing.

Nurse SMS specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Never make the mistake that your pay somehow reflects the "value of your life", whether you are a nurse or anything else as a career. Pay reflects one thing and one thing only - the demand for whatever it is you do to earn money. If your pay is low, that means where you live, there are a lot of people able and willing to do what you do. This is why nursing pays so much more than being a nursing assistant. The greater the requirements for the job, the fewer number of people who have the basic qualifications and the higher the job will pay. This is why working at McDonald's is, in general, a low paid position but being a neurosurgeon is a highly paid position.

If you are earning $23/hr, then that means your institution can easily get $23/hr for nurses where you live. If you find that insulting - move, advance your education or look into doing something that has greater demand.

nursemarion has 35 years experience as a BSN.

8 minutes ago, Nurse SMS said:

Never make the mistake that your pay somehow reflects the "value of your life", whether you are a nurse or anything else as a career. Pay reflects one thing and one thing only - the demand for whatever it is you do. If your pay is low, that means where you live, there are a lot of people able and willing to do what you do. This is why nursing pays so much more than being a nursing assistant. The greater the requirements for the job, the fewer number of people who have the basic qualifications and the higher the job will pay. This is why working at McDonald's is, in general, a low paid position but being a neurosurgeon is a highly paid position.

If you are earning 23/hr, then that means your institution can easily get $23/hr for nurses where you live. If you find that insulting - move.

I never went into nursing for money. It is just when you read these statistics about what nurses make all over the country, and you look at your own paycheck, you begin to feel worthless. Not worth a living wage, with all the education that you invested in. I know nursing is misunderstood, and it is all about supply and demand. Cognitively I know this. But it is soul crushing to have to work second jobs and things to get by. I just am so disappointed in how nurses are treated.

But every job comes with trade-offs and you have to do what works for your family sometimes. If I were younger, I might very well move. But not now at this stage in my life. There was a time when I was doing well as a nurse. Our paychecks have lost value over time in my area. Even those who are making more are spending $10,000 a year in benefits and health care costs out of their own pockets. It would be different if insurance and retirement benefits were good like they were at one time.

If you work for an employer that makes you feel valued, you can accept a bit lower paycheck. It is when they make you feel like you do not matter at all and pay you accordingly that is is hard to deal with. But I work to live, I do not live to work. I look for joy outside of work. And I try not to compare myself with others. Just trying to stay alive through the COVID situation with the hope of a better tomorrow.

Nurse SMS specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

6 minutes ago, nursemarion said:

I never went into nursing for money. It is just when you read these statistics about what nurses make all over the country, and you look at your own paycheck, you begin to feel worthless. Not worth a living wage, with all the education that you invested in. I know nursing is misunderstood, and it is all about supply and demand. Cognitively I know this. But it is soul crushing to have to work second jobs and things to get by. I just am so disappointed in how nurses are treated.

But every job comes with trade-offs and you have to do what works for your family sometimes. If I were younger, I might very well move. But not now at this stage in my life. There was a time when I was doing well as a nurse. Our paychecks have lost value over time in my area. Even those who are making more are spending $10,000 a year in benefits and health care costs out of their own pockets. It would be different if insurance and retirement benefits were good like they were at one time.

If you work for an employer that makes you feel valued, you can accept a bit lower paycheck. It is when they make you feel like you do not matter at all and pay you accordingly that is is hard to deal with. But I work to live, I do not live to work. I look for joy outside of work. And I try not to compare myself with others. Just trying to stay alive through the COVID situation with the hope of a better tomorrow.

Yes, though it is worth noting that this is true in every industry in our country now. It isn't just nursing that has faced these issues. 

At your age and with your level of experience, I am surprised you have not transitioned into a different job role. Have you considered being an educator, a nurse navigator or other such roles that tend to pay pretty well and are less life threatening?

nursemarion has 35 years experience as a BSN.

I am currently going back to school. And I have had a couple of opportunities that were pretty juicy, but I am in a retirement plan right now that I have to stay in for a while. Catching up after some part-time years during child raising. Caring for my parents in their older years taught me that I need to have a solid retirement built up.

I know it is not likely I will get hired by the time I finish school, I am getting older by the day, but you never know! I am pretty close to where I need to be retirement wise. Probably in the next year or two I will be out there looking for something better! Thanks for the encouragement.

Nurse SMS specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

1 minute ago, nursemarion said:

I am currently going back to school. And I have had a couple of opportunities that were pretty juicy, but I am in a retirement plan right now that I have to stay in for a while. Catching up after some part-time years during child raising. Caring for my parents in their older years taught me that I need to have a solid retirement built up.

I know it is not likely I will get hired by the time I finish school, I am getting older by the day, but you never know! I am pretty close to where I need to be retirement wise. Probably in the next year or two I will be out there looking for something better! Thanks for the encouragement.

What are you majoring in? Congratulations on returning to school! I think you have every reason to be hopeful.

nursemarion has 35 years experience as a BSN.

Well let's just say a specialty that will hopefully put me in a different area of nursing. I am ready for a change. At least in nursing we can reinvent ourselves again and again.

ButterflyRN90 specializes in Renal and Telemetry.

I work a covid exclusive unit. I get $27 base pay with night/ weekend differentials. I'm immunocompromised. Not. Worth. It. I'm jumping into travel nursing because honestly, if I HAVE to care for covid patients I may as well get fair compensation for it. 

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK