What to charge for chart review/opinion?

Posted
by INN_777 INN_777, BSN, RN Member Nurse

Specializes in Oncology, Medicine. Has 7 years experience.

Hi all:

I've never done legal work as an RN and have just been approached by a legal services company to review records on a brief case in my specialty (Oncology) and offer an opinion. I will need to get back to them on the hourly rate and possibly how many hours minimum. This is completely out of the blue and I wanted advice on reasonable rate/hour minimum. They said folks charge between $150 and $275 an hour.

Would love to get your thoughts. Need to get back to them in a day or two.

Thank you!

sirI, MSN, APRN, NP

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB. 18 Articles; 13,658 Posts

Hello INN_777

I think you are on the right track for the per/hour range, if you are only reviewing the case, not acting as an Expert Witness.

INN_777, BSN, RN

Specializes in Oncology, Medicine. Has 7 years experience. 430 Posts

Thank you. Reviewing the case for now. Not sure if there will be any development thereafter.

overtonis

overtonis

Specializes in ICU. Has 10 years experience. 76 Posts

On 9/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, INN_777 said:

Hi all:

I've never done legal work as an RN and have just been approached by a legal services company to review records on a brief case in my specialty (Oncology) and offer an opinion. I will need to get back to them on the hourly rate and possibly how many hours minimum. This is completely out of the blue and I wanted advice on reasonable rate/hour minimum. They said folks charge between $150 and $275 an hour.

Would love to get your thoughts. Need to get back to them in a day or two.

Thank you!

Just curious how Legal Service Company would contact you out of the blue? Alot of people with Legal Nurse Certifications have difficulty finding work.

mmc51264, ADN, BSN, MSN, RN

Specializes in orthopedic; Informatics, diabetes. Has 10 years experience. 3,069 Posts

I just got an email to review a case in my specialty (ortho). Glad I stopped by here to see if there was any info.

Hannahbanana, BSN, MSN

Specializes in Physiology, CM, consulting, nsg edu, LNC, COB. Has 52 years experience. 1,183 Posts

When I started my mentors told me to charge $250-300/hour. This compares very favorably to what MDs charge for the same work. I suffered from imposter syndrome (they can't possibly think I'm good enough-- I don't think I'm good enough) but nobody blinked. They hire us for what we know about nursing and medicine and health systems. We are the experts in that. I actually got more work when I charged more-- if you don't value yourself highly, why would anybody else?

Hannahbanana, BSN, MSN

Specializes in Physiology, CM, consulting, nsg edu, LNC, COB. Has 52 years experience. 1,183 Posts

On 7/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, overtonis said:

Just curious how Legal Service Company would contact you out of the blue? Alot of people with Legal Nurse Certifications have difficulty finding work.

Read carefully. She hasn't done any kind of legal work but was contacted to provide expert opinion in her clinical specialty. You don't have to hold any credential as a legal nurse consultant (certification as LNCC; or many other entry-level course certificates) to be a testifying expert or to review records. She could have been found in a literature search, via an oncology association website, word of mouth from somebody who knew her, or other ways.

RickyRescueRN, BSN, RN

Specializes in ICU, Trauma, CCT,Emergency, Flight, OR Nursing. Has 26 years experience. 154 Posts

Be sure to have a retained contract / agreement drawn up and signed by yourself and the attorney you will be working for. I charge a retainer of $1000 before I start any work or offer any thoughts/ opinions. Reading this thread I was startled to see how much people are charging for their hourly work . I only charge $130/hr and have been doing legal nurse consulting on the side for 7 years. Guess I might have to up my rates.

 

Hannahbanana, BSN, MSN

Specializes in Physiology, CM, consulting, nsg edu, LNC, COB. Has 52 years experience. 1,183 Posts

Usual retainer I see is for 5-10 hours of work, replenished as used up before more work is done. A good agreement will save you a lot of trouble in the future. There's a good article in the Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting in the March 2015 issue on that. (free at www.aalnc.org, publications)

tridil2000

tridil2000, MSN, RN

Has 35 years experience. 657 Posts

On 1/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, RickyRescueRN said:

Be sure to have a retained contract / agreement drawn up and signed by yourself and the attorney you will be working for. I charge a retainer of $1000 before I start any work or offer any thoughts/ opinions. Reading this thread I was startled to see how much people are charging for their hourly work . I only charge $130/hr and have been doing legal nurse consulting on the side for 7 years. Guess I might have to up my rates.

 

Can you tell me what your retainer states? That they will pay that minimum no matter what?

I am unsure of how to structure this. 

THANK YOU!

Hannahbanana, BSN, MSN

Specializes in Physiology, CM, consulting, nsg edu, LNC, COB. Has 52 years experience. 1,183 Posts

This is language used by many retained experts, or some variation thereof. The object is to get your money up front and never, never deliver the goods without being paid for them first. This is standard practice and anybody that argues with you over it is not somebody you want to work for. Do not ask me how I learned this, LOL.

"You agree to provide to me a $XXXX* retainer that will be paid before any work on the case commences and against which I will work.  When my work on the case has resulted in the $XXXX retainer reaching $XXX** I will cease work and invoice you, at which time you will replenish it to the full amount before I resume work."

As I noted before, you can find more about how to write a good agreement for your services in the Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, www.aalnc.org   and navigate to > publications > journal  > Spring 2015, p. 12, "Creating a strong fee schedule and contract," Iyer.

* usually what you would bill for 10-15 hours of work, I.e., if you will be billing $300/hour (which many reputable attorneys will see as a bargain), your retainer should be at least $3000-4500.

** usually 2 hours of work

tridil2000

tridil2000, MSN, RN

Has 35 years experience. 657 Posts

4 hours ago, Hannahbanana said:

This is language used by many retained experts, or some variation thereof. The object is to get your money up front and never, never deliver the goods without being paid for them first. This is standard practice and anybody that argues with you over it is not somebody you want to work for. Do not ask me how I learned this, LOL.

"You agree to provide to me a $XXXX* retainer that will be paid before any work on the case commences and against which I will work.  When my work on the case has resulted in the $XXXX retainer reaching $XXX** I will cease work and invoice you, at which time you will replenish it to the full amount before I resume work."

As I noted before, you can find more about how to write a good agreement for your services in the Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, www.aalnc.org   and navigate to > publications > journal  > Spring 2015, p. 12, "Creating a strong fee schedule and contract," Iyer.

* usually what you would bill for 10-15 hours of work, I.e., if you will be billing $300/hour (which many reputable attorneys will see as a bargain), your retainer should be at least $3000-4500.

** usually 2 hours of work

THANK YOU! Much appreciated!