Jump to content

There could be 10 hidden coronavirus cases for every reported one, CDC director says

Posted

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

Raleigh News and Observer

6/25/20

There could be 10 hidden Coronavirus cases for every reported one, CDC director says

Quote

Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said during a Thursday news conference that the agency estimates there are 10 more infections for every coronavirus case reported.

“Our best estimate right now is that for every case that was reported, there actually were 10 other infections,” he said during the news conference.

As of Thursday evening, 2.4 million COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins University. But based on what Redfield said, that number would be closer to 24 million.

The estimate is based on antibody testing data, Redfield said....

https://www.MSN.com/en-us/health/medical/there-could-be-10-hidden-coronavirus-cases-for-every-reported-one-CDC-director-says/ar-BB15YUmh

Nurse SMS, MSN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development. Has 10 years experience.

So kind of like the old cockroach saying.

I really find myself wondering what the long-term is going to look like. There are SO many viruses/bacteria that do not necessarily present themselves acutely when they are acquired, but lay dormant in the body until an opportunistic time. Tuberculosis, HIV, herpes, shingles - and some become more contagious during active phases. I am not trusting that those who are asymptomatic will forever stay that way.

PCU_RN9, MSN

Specializes in Health insurance nursing/ Cardiac nursing.

1 hour ago, Nurse SMS said:

So kind of like the old cockroach saying.

I really find myself wondering what the long-term is going to look like. There are SO many viruses that do not necessarily present themselves acutely when they are acquired, but lay dormant in the body until an opportunistic time. Tuberculosis, HIV, herpes, shingles - and some become more contagious during active phases. I am not trusting that those who are asymptomatic will forever stay that way.

That’s a good point and something that I’ve not thought of.

Nurse SMS, MSN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development. Has 10 years experience.

1 hour ago, PCU_RN9 said:

That’s a good point and something that I’ve not thought of.

Sorry. Don't get in my head, its scary in here. 😉

A Hit With The Ladies, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych. Has 5 years experience.

125,000 Coronavirus deaths / 24,000,000 Coronavirus cases = 0.5% mortality rate.

Wasn't the flu's mortality rate ~0.2%?

So the CDC inadvertently outed themselves here. It's a lot more like the flu than we were initially led to believe. Remember when Birx was saying there could be more than 2 million Americans dead? Do the math! We'd have to have 400 million Coronapositive Americans - that's more than the total U.S. population!

NRSKarenRN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

Death statistics lag behind report Positive cases as ~20% patients die, often 2-4 weeks post diagnosis/hospitalization fight. In addition, Coroner/Medical Examiner in some states like PA are reviewing EVERY death certificate to check for COVID-19 to determine spread in their community.

My county had to obtain 3 refrigerated trucks to store bodies until autopsy performed for those found dead at home or suspicious deaths. Thusly, actual rate of deaths for given time period not finalized for months,

BostonFNP, APRN

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine. Has 10 years experience.

13 hours ago, A Hit With The Ladies said:

125,000 Coronavirus deaths / 24,000,000 Coronavirus cases = 0.5% mortality rate.

Wasn't the flu's mortality rate ~0.2%?

So the CDC inadvertently outed themselves here. It's a lot more like the flu than we were initially led to believe. Remember when Birx was saying there could be more than 2 million Americans dead? Do the math! We'd have to have 400 million Coronapositive Americans - that's more than the total U.S. population!

It’s 2,400,000 cases not 24,000,000 that’s a factor of 10 off.

The statistic that matters is case fatality rate: of 2.4 million cases only 1.2 million have an outcome, and of that 127,000 have died. That’s a case fatality rate of 11%.

A Hit With The Ladies, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych. Has 5 years experience.

3 hours ago, BostonFNP said:

It’s 2,400,000 cases not 24,000,000 that’s a factor of 10 off.

 The statistic that matters is case fatality rate: of 2.4 million cases only 1.2 million have an outcome, and of that 127,000 have died. That’s a case fatality rate of 11%.

Reread the original post.

It says "As of Thursday evening, 2.4 million COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins University. But based on what Redfield said, that number would be closer to 24 million."

Edited by A Hit With The Ladies

Covid-19 has killed thousands in a short amount of time vs individuals killed during a flu season. There is currently no vaccine available to everyone. I realize there are clinical trials happening. There is a flu vaccine. While definitely not perfect, it can sometimes lessen the severity of the flu if an individual is infected with influenza.