NICU visitation policies needed

Specialties NICU

Published

I am doing research for my unit and we are curious about the different nicu visitation policies and if there are changes made to the policy for RSV season. If you could share your hospital's policy, it would be a huge help! I'm looking for certain things, so I'll put my hospital info down for example:

hospital

(Methodist)

nicu level

(III)

private patient rooms

(yes)

number at bedside

(unlimited, nurse controlled but not written in policy)

who can visit

(parents and grandparents 24/7 all other visitors must be with a parent in order to visit)

when can you visit

(24/7)

sibling

(any age may visit, nonsiblings >2y)

rsv guidelines

(limited to parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles 24/7. aunts and uncles must be with a parent. siblings >12y)

other

(grandparents may not bring anyone with them but may visit without the parents present, if given permission by the parents. all other visitors, during standard visitation and RSV visitation, must be with a parent.)

Thanks for your help!

anicu

hospital

NICU level

private patient rooms

number at bedside

who can visit

when can you visit

sibling

RSV guidelines

other

I don't think any non sibling children should be visiting, siblings only when their are childcare difficulties. It's difficult having small children in the NICU all the time and they spread germs like wildfire

Specializes in NICU.

NICU Level IV

private patient rooms some

number at bedside 2 including parents (excluding siblings)

Who can visit Parents plus 6 visitors (people can be removed from list but not added beyond the 6 original)

when can you visit(24/7)

sibling 3 yrs +

rsv guidelines no visitors (including siblings)

Thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing which hospital? You can direct message me if you don't mind. I'm just putting all the info into a excel document.

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control.

Suggest you insist on [seasonal] Flu vaccinations and up-to-date shot cards for siblings.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Suggest you insist on [seasonal] Flu vaccinations and up-to-date shot cards for siblings.

I'm a lurker who is not working in the NICU but I find this fascinating. Just curious, what's your policy on recent pertussis (TDaP) vaccine in those visitors?

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control.

Moms are offered TDaP vaccine on Post Partum, as well as Flu if seasonal. Otherwise, all we can do is educate. Don't know what is being done right now, but, last time I worked, there was a desk in the lobby to screen ALL visitors for flu symptoms and flu vaccines. Our visitors got screened, too. But we screened the siblings ourselves. They had to show us their shot card.

Specializes in NICU.

NICU level: IV

private patient rooms: 85

number at bedside: technically 4, but up to nurse to enforce.

who can visit: parents/grandparents/siblings, friends with parents or alone if on "allowed" list.

when can you visit: Parents/grandparents/siblings 24/7, friends 8-8

sibling: any and all, anytime.

RSV guidelines: none

other: two years ago we moved to allow any/all siblings anytime regardless of age or season. Wildly unpopular among nurses, but not surprisingly management doesn't care!

NICU level 3

private patient rooms we have four single rooms for isolation purposes

number at bedside 2 plus a parent

who can visit Parents can name specific people who can be present without the parents (usually just grandparents), otherwise Mum can bring anyone over the age of 14 in to visit with her

when can you visit between 2-8pm

sibling siblings of the baby can visit no matter their age

RSV guidelines if you're snotty, stay away

Specializes in Developmental Care.

NICU Level-- III

private patient rooms-- some

number at bedside-- 2 (excluding siblings)

Who can visit-- up to 2 people at the bedside at a time, one must be parent (or banded support person). In regular season parents can bring any adult in, no one under 18 except siblings.

when can you visit-- 24/7

siblings-- must have up to date vaccinations verified

rsv guidelines-- Only parents and grandparents, no siblings. Discharged multiples are able to come in back with parents.

Waikato Womens Hospital, Hamilton NZ

nicu visitation written policy

level 3, 4 bed pods, level 1&2 open room 12 cot spaces

2 visitors per infant, includes parents.

no children 3 or under

older sibling( 3-10) allowed for 5 minutes unless well behaved

strict visiting hours: 1100-1330, 1600-2000

parent access 24/7

6 rooming in bedrooms, parents only, no visitors.

+ Add a Comment