Memphis RN wears violently racist t-shirt to polling place when voting on Tuesday

Nurses Headlines

Published

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

T-shirt depicts a Confederate flag with a noose, and the phrase "Mississippi Justice"

A Mississippi Man Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Midterms

T-shirt depicts a Confederate flag with a noose, and the phrase "Mississippi Justice"

A Mississippi Man Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Midterms

He not very charming, is he? ...but I will always believe that the silent ones are much more dangerous than the ones who announce their beliefs on the front of a tee shirt.

"Prior to becoming a nurse, Hickey was a Memphis police officer. He left that job after being arrested in Olive Branch in 2010 and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was found with a 17-year-old girl and open alcohol. (It's unclear what the outcome of the case was.)"

All the times nurses, or nursing students ask about their BON, and they have some minor legal infraction, can they get a license....well...... I guess the answer is yes.

His tee shirt makes makes me ill. Freedom of speech??? Freedom of an employer to fire an employee without having to give a reason, one can only hope.

Specializes in Critical Care.
"Prior to becoming a nurse, Hickey was a Memphis police officer. He left that job after being arrested in Olive Branch in 2010 and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was found with a 17-year-old girl and open alcohol. (It's unclear what the outcome of the case was.)"

All the times nurses, or nursing students ask about their BON, and they have some minor legal infraction, can they get a license....well...... I guess the answer is yes.

His tee shirt makes makes me ill. Freedom of speech??? Freedom of an employer to fire an employee without having to give a reason, one can only hope.

While not nearly as concerning as his shirt, it's disappointing that Buzzfeed didn't know that an EMT and an RN are two different things. They guy wearing the shirt, Clayton Hickey, is licensed as an EMT according to the Tennessee license verification system which is where he appears to hold his license, not a Registered Nurse.

Tennessee Department of Health: Licensure Verification

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
He not very charming, is he? ...but I will always believe that the silent ones are much more dangerous than the ones who announce their beliefs on the front of a tee shirt.

You've got a point there, Sour Lemon.

Let's give him a T-shirt that would be more fitting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27852[/ATTACH]

While not nearly as concerning as his shirt, it's disappointing that Buzzfeed didn't know that an EMT and an RN are two different things. They guy wearing the shirt, Clayton Hickey, is licensed as an EMT according to the Tennessee license verification system which is where he appears to hold his license, not a Registered Nurse.

Tennessee Department of Health: Licensure Verification

According to Nursys.com, Clayton Hickey holds an unencumbered MS RN license, valid til 12/31/20.

ETA: As he is a resident of MS, he is not eligible for licensure in TN as both states are members of the eNLC.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
His tee shirt makes makes me ill.

So, brownbook, let's take it off of him and play "Pin the T-shirt on Clayton" !

attachment.php?attachmentid=27853&stc=1

According to Nursys.com, Clayton Hickey holds an unencumbered MS RN license, valid til 12/31/20.

I just found that, yes it appears I was wrong, he is only licensed as an EMT in Tennessee, which is where he works, but he holds a Mississippi multi-state RN license.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
I just found that, yes it appears I was wrong, he is only licensed as an EMT in Tennessee, which is where he works, but he holds a Mississippi multi-state RN license.

According to the article, he is an RN at Regional One Health, a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

I certainly hope that hospital finds that his values are not in keeping with their mission, vision, and values, and they decide to part ways with this "gentleman".

The article says the hospital fired him.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

Ugh. That shirt is disgusting. Where I come from, you can't wear or take anything into a voting area that's politically oriented. I wonder why Mississippi allows it. I'm all for freedom of speech, but the precinct isn't the place for "speech" like this.

On Thursday, Regional One Health in Memphis confirmed the man in the photo was an employee at the hospital and that he had been fired after a thorough investigation.

The hospital released a statement saying:

"As of today, November 8, 2018, we have completed our investigation and what we learned led to the termination of the employee in question. Regional One Health holds employees to a high standard. We are committed to upholding our mission to provide compassionate care and exceptional services to all. This includes fostering a safe and protected work and care environment for all. Behaviors contrary to these principles are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

They say they're taking the matter seriously and are "committed to a safe, secure and comfortable environment for its patients, guests and employees."

Hospital investigating employee who wore offensive shirt to Mississippi poll | WREG.com

+ Add a Comment