Patient sent a friend request

Specialties Hospice

Published

Specializes in Hospice.

I'm pretty sure I know what you guys are going to advise, but I'm putting it out here anyway. Although we do get close to patients, I try at all times to remain professional. Today, I was shocked that one of my hospice patients sent a friend request.

I do not want to offend him in any way, but I don't think it's appropriate to blur the boundaries. My plan is to blame company policy.

What say you?

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

Don't cross the boundary. You can simply let the friend request sit unanswered.

Specializes in New Critical care NP, Critical care, Med-surg, LTC.

I recently had a friend request from a discharged patient. I responded that while I wished the patient all the best, it was against policy to maintain social media contact with patients. I thought it best to not ignore them, but let them know it's a professional boundary.

Specializes in Cardiac Telemetry, ICU.

I would do exactly what JB said. I wouldn't leave it unanswered, especially a hospice patient. I'd blame it on policy like you mentioned.

Specializes in Dialysis.

I live in a small rural area where everyone is related, and anyone could be a pt. I keep my circle to direct family. And blame company policies when I decline a friend request

Specializes in kids.

I totally get all of the reasons why not...but a declining a hospice patients friend request seems so sad to me...

+ Add a Comment