I made 3 kids miss the bus today

Specialties School

Published

Not completely missed it...the bus made it to the middle school across the street, so my elementary principle had to walk them over to the other campus.

My first year as a school nurse. The school bells have no significance to me yet. Everything in my day is based on a specific time. I was re-screening a few students for hearing/vision and lost track of time. The principal opened the door, and exclaimed, "Are you screening? They've missed the bus!". I'm sure I had a dumbfounded look on my face. I apologized, and she snapped, "That's why we have bells!". She was able to laugh about it later, and downplayed it, but I felt like a hill. Needless to say, I'll probably never ignore another bell.

A funny for you: I had a kinder student that failed his first hearing screen...only heard a couple of tones. I re-screened today, and every single time I would emit the sound, he would shake his head, as if saying "No". I got so tickled that I tried probably 10-15 tones, and every single time his little head would shake, "No". I then explained how to do the test again, and explained how there might a prize at the end depending on how well he cooperates. Well, he passed every tone immediately and got a sticker. I didn't take the time to teach him about honesty. I was just glad he passed ;)

You will never miss another bell.

Specializes in School Nursing, Ambulatory Care, etc..

Just remember, 1st year is the hardest. Lessons learned: 1) you will never miss another bell and 2) kinder kids will steal your heart and make you smile. :)

Specializes in kids.

I forgot one on a cot during a fire drill last year. It happens.....

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

This is the best part of our little group... probably someone has a similar story or did something worse!

BTW, I worked where we had bells for seven years and I still had no idea what time it was.

+ Add a Comment