MY UNIT IS IN CHAOS

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I've been on my unit for one year. We just lost our 5th nursing manager after one year. Do i stay or should i go?

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.

Why have you lost 5 managers in a year?

Could you provide a little more information? What kind of chaos? Have the NMs given a reason for leaving?

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatrics, Wound Care.

Man, I feel like 5 manages a year is insane. I don't think many places can replace floor nurses that quickly!

the over riding scuttlebutt from the experienced nursing on the unit is administration and the lack of participation from the experienced nurses on the unit. the most recent nm quit for "another position" that she had applied for over a year ago. my personal story is i interviewed with the nm and 3 weeks later when i showed up for

orientation i was told the nm that hired me quit due to "family obligations". the chaos im talking about is current director of the program is not a nurse. i know im being vague to protect myself. if more details are needed ill due my best to answer. thank you for taking the time to listen and respond.

That all depends on where you'd be going to.

i'm currently looking for other positions within the hospital. I guess I'm going. Thank you again for your help and support.

Specializes in Public Health, TB.

I worked on unit that lost something like 5 nm in 2 years, for various reasons: personal, promotion, fired. It actually bonded many of the staff together, and we stuck it out until we actually got a keeper. EAP came in a few times, which was helpful, to let us vent and see where are strengths were.

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.
i'm currently looking for other positions within the hospital. I guess I'm going. Thank you again for your help and support.

So you'll be working under the same leadership that has now lost 5 managers from one unit in a year. What makes you think they'll run another unit better?

Who care who the Nurse Manager is? I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be cynical but this situation kinda reminds me of an old song be The Who "meet the new boss, same as the old boss". I find management types to be fairly removed from what I do on a day to day basis as a Nurse in the ER so generally I could care less about these issues. Now if this culture is messing with you on a personal level or impedes your ability to function as a nurse then that's another matter but just switching nameplates on the Nurse Manager door is something I could care less about so long as the folks that I work for provide me with a descent workplace and the check clears every two weeks.

Specializes in school nurse.
Who care who the Nurse Manager is? I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be cynical but this situation kinda reminds me of an old song be The Who "meet the new boss, same as the old boss". I find management types to be fairly removed from what I do on a day to day basis as a Nurse in the ER so generally I could care less about these issues. Now if this culture is messing with you on a personal level or impedes your ability to function as a nurse then that's another matter but just switching nameplates on the Nurse Manager door is something I could care less about so long as the folks that I work for provide me with a descent workplace and the check clears every two weeks.

I agree. OP did not specifically say anything was wrong with day-to-day (other than in the title), so if it isn't, don't leave just because of the NM issue...

Man, only five quit in a year? I can't believe any nurse manager stays beyond a week! I wouldn't take a NM job to save my soul for all the crap those guys have to put up with. They don't even get to make policy- just have to shovel the crap that comes down from above. Personnel personal problems, no union backing you up. Yuck!

+ Add a Comment