Student Body Odor

Specialties School

Published

Any thoughts or suggestions about how to sensitively address body odor with a 5th grade student (in this case a girl)?

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

When my oldest was 8, she started to smell. I told her plainly, she needs to wear deodorant now or someone else is going to tell her something about this. She didn't listen to me and then one day, my older brother's ex-girlfriend told her meanly that she stinks and she needs to put deodorant on loudly at a wal-mart. She cried from embarrassment and I bought her deodorant after we talked a bit.

It could be any of the top issues, that there may be an issue at home, but also it can be the kid doesn't want to. I had to fight with her to get her to understand why she need to wear deodorant, but until someone said something, she did it.

Specializes in kids.
And let's not forget that it might not be a simple matter of bathing and deodorant. The girl might have filthy clothes (and underwear) due to not having the ability to wash her clothes. She may not have deodorant to use -- or any money to buy some. She may not have a toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

There was such a girl in my class (and a few other kids in my school) who lived in such conditions. The smell was overwhelming. We all felt sorry for her, but no one wanted to sit near her in class ... or on the bus ... or be within a few feet of her. This went on for a couple of years.

For children who struggle with hygiene because they lack of resources, talking with them is not enough. That is only a first step in identifying what the problems are. Some schools allow such students to use the locker rooms to shower ... or install washing machines so that they (and maybe their moms) can wash their clothes. etc. Make sure the stinky students have the resources to be clean. If not, maybe that would be a great project for the PTO or something. Some of these kids need real help.

Yes!! this is so true!!! I have found over the years, the best approach is down and dirty (pardon the intentional pun!!)

"This is what I hear, see small etc...How can I help you? Do you need deodorant, access to a washer, a shower etc"...

I have uncovered some pretty needy situations with a direct but caring list of questions.

Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.

If you had time, maybe try and do a quick 5 minute talk to the whole class on hygiene. That way the student would not feel singled out. I have done that and it works well. I also hand out deodorant as needed.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.
I wish my admin team would see it that way. Everything weird or that no one else wants to deal with becomes a nurse problem... ARG

Address it by saying that you addressing this with her will make her first encounter with the nurse a negative one and will make her hesitant to come to you when she needs to. Reiterate that her teacher has positive interactions before and after the negative that will not create that barrier. Good luck.

Address it by saying that you addressing this with her will make her first encounter with the nurse a negative one and will make her hesitant to come to you when she needs to. Reiterate that her teacher has positive interactions before and after the negative that will not create that barrier. Good luck.

this is good advice!

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I finally got myself off the campus CPI team with this principle. How are the kids going to feel comfortable with coming to me for help if I've just restrained them and dragged them to some room for decompression? Good observation.

+ Add a Comment