Non-nurse midwives?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Does anyone in L&D know of the training for non-nurse midwives? And how that compares typically to a certified nurse midwife? I met a woman who stated she was a home midwife, and I ... foot in mouth... assumed she was a nurse. Has anyone worked with such a midwife professionally?

Specializes in NICU.

I have not worked with one but I know of some working as Lay midwives but not legal in certain states.They are not nurses.They do home births.The only way to do it legally in this state is to become RNs , then apply for and graduate as Certified Midwife.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
The only way to do it legally in this state is to become RNs , then apply for and graduate as Certified Midwife.

Which state is this?

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

CNM is the way to go.

Specializes in Nurse Health Writer / Author.

I think what's said about this post is that NURSES don't know the difference and that we expect patients to. Working in L&D for 15 years, I know that we get the disasters that non-nurse midwives have. Therefore, it's the only opinion I have. Delivery in a hospital with a certified midwive under the direction of a physician is the safest route if midwifery is what the patient desires.

After 15 years of OB experience, I would never let a lay midwife or any non-CNM to touch me. CNMs have the formal education, statistical research and extensive training/clinical experience to know where their practice is limited and when to consult an OB. In my experience, lay midwives do not.

I am reminded of a ridiculous and scary case some years ago. A lay midwife brought her laboring patient in to our L/D unit, as she was unable to deliver her baby and the patient was bleeding profusely. Of course we had no notice, and knew nothing about this patient. She had never seen anyone but her midwife for prenatal care, trusting "her intuitive touch". (her words). The patient had a distinct disdain for "all medical types". I can understand; we are FAR from perfect and there are bad stories involving RNs, CNMs and OBs.

Well the flustered OB--- (who had to be woken up to this case) ---discovered that not only was the baby breech, but the woman was carrying twins! The lay midwife clasped her hands together and said, seriously: "OH NEAT TWINS, what a wonderful surprise!". Then she laughed and giggled and told the mom how "cool" this was. We were sweating bullets ourselves.

That was all she had to say. Then the midwife went home while we delivered her patient's babies in the OR. The OB was skilled at breech births, thankfully, as he was a veteran---- and baby number 2 was head-down. The woman delivered safely, in our care, her twins. Her husband was understandably shocked. I was just relieved all 3 patients were ok. I do credit the midwife for coming in to the hospital to check up on her patients. She was compassionate, but incompetent.

I have more stories of similar nature about non-CNM malpractice, but this is the one that stands out.

So NO, I never ever would I entrust my care, of that of my daughters/DIL, to anyone but a CNM. My DIL has delivered two healthy babies in the sole care of a CNM who knew her case well and only took low-risk pregnant patients. I am not anti-midwifery. I am anti-quack-midwifery.

After 15 years of OB experience, I would never let a lay midwife or any non-CNM to touch me. CNMs have the formal education, statistical research and extensive training/clinical experience to know where their practice is limited and when to consult an OB. In my experience, lay midwives do not.

I am reminded of a ridiculous and scary case some years ago. A lay midwife brought her laboring patient in to our L/D unit, as she was unable to deliver her baby and the patient was bleeding profusely. Of course we had no notice, and knew nothing about this patient. She had never seen anyone but her midwife for prenatal care, trusting "her intuitive touch". (her words). The patient had a distinct disdain for "all medical types". I can understand; we are FAR from perfect and there are bad stories involving RNs, CNMs and OBs.

Well the flustered OB--- (who had to be woken up to this case) ---discovered that not only was the baby breech, but the woman was carrying twins! The lay midwife clasped her hands together and said, seriously: "OH NEAT TWINS, what a wonderful surprise!". Then she laughed and giggled and told the mom how "cool" this was. We were sweating bullets ourselves.

That was all she had to say. Then the midwife went home while we delivered her patient's babies in the OR. The OB was skilled at breech births, thankfully, as he was a veteran---- and baby number 2 was head-down. The woman delivered safely, in our care, her twins. Her husband was understandably shocked. I was just relieved all 3 patients were ok. I do credit the midwife for coming in to the hospital to check up on her patients. She was compassionate, but incompetent.

I have more stories of similar nature about non-CNM malpractice, but this is the one that stands out.

So NO, I never ever would I entrust my care, of that of my daughters/DIL, to anyone but a CNM. My DIL has delivered two healthy babies in the sole care of a CNM who knew her case well and only took low-risk pregnant patients. I am not anti-midwifery. I am anti-quack-midwifery.

she was competent enough to know that she was out of her depth. a properly trained, non nurse, midwife is the bar to be reached for.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

My second child was born at home with 2 CPMs. I think well-trained, well-qualified CPMs absolutely do have a place and I would not hesitate to use a well-vetted CPM again if I grew back a uterus and suddenly became 10 years younger and wanted to have another child. In a lot of communities, there ARE no options for a CNM-attended birth, at home or in the hospital.

CPMs have become popular in certain parts of Florida because the laws are not friendly for v-bac patients. You can't v-bac in a birth center - you need an OB and a hospital. However, a good portion of providers in some areas won't agree to v-bac so..... patients that want it are going to CPMs or lay midwives for home births.

she was competent enough to know that she was out of her depth. a properly trained, non nurse, midwife is the bar to be reached for.

Too low IMO. My story is true and reason enough. She did not even stay to ensure her patient was safe or provide support post partum. We did not kick her out or even say anything to offend her. I had a lot of thoughts churning.

Working in L/D 15 years (and yes we did do VBAC) I have seen enough to know a CNM is the bar to reach for, no less.

If surgery were required, our CNMs could actually assist. A CPM cannot and never will.

+ Add a Comment