Maricopa ADN waitlist

U.S.A. Arizona

Published

I've been on the waitlist for four whole weeks! Option one is Scottsdale days, option 2 and 3 are Gateway accelerated and evenings. I have heard rumors the wait is a year and rumors it is 2 years. I'm going traditional not BSN to stay debt free. Is anyone else waiting? Do you think placement will be Fall 2019 or sometime in 2020? I start the second half of human anatomy next week so that will occupy me but right now I feel like a waste of space!!

Maybe we will make it into the same cohort as I will be applying for CEP in December, good luck! :happy:

I'm applying in Dec also! with Ottawa :) good luck!! I wonder how long it takes to know after applying if you get in..

And I wonder if the same cohorts all go to the same university or if it's mixed universities!

I'm applying in Dec also! with Ottawa :) good luck!! I wonder how long it takes to know after applying if you get in..

Thank you! :) I will be applying with ASU. I had a class last semester with a girl who applied for the CEP in December and she was told around February or early March that she was accepted. So it's a long wait especially if you don't get a spot, but at least you have the semester to save money for the summer session. And it is mixed universities, the only school that requires a certain location is UIU - they have hybrid classes so if you want classes in person you have to go to SCC, CGCC, or MCC. Otherwise it's a mixed bag.

And I wonder if the same cohorts all go to the same university or if it's mixed universities!

It's mixed. In my class we have people in ASU, NAU, Ottawa, and Franklin Pierce (think that's the name). We also have two Master degree students with GCU. The best way to think of it is this: regardless of your university choice, you will ALL follow the same nursing degree at the community college; same classes, same lab, same tests, same requirements, same everything. The University portion of your degree is taken primarily online, and you do that in your own time away from the classroom.

We also have a handful of ADN students in my class who are not taking online University classes - we all do exactly the same work. At the end of the 2 years of classes at community college, everyone who gets high enough grades will get their ADN (2 year nursing degree), whether they are with a university or not with a University. We will all hopefully graduate from college together!

Once you graduate from CC, you have your associates in nursing degree, but you still have to take a national licensing exam - the NCLEX - to get your license. You can't work as an RN until you have the license.

For those of us taking University classes (with whichever Uni we chose), we will graduate from the University once we complete all the requirements with them AND you have finished your Associates Degree in nursing. So - what the University will do is take your ADN degree and essentially transfer it into your BSN with them, so that the ADN basically is considered the first 2 years of your BSN degree, and the online classes you take make up the rest of the degree.

In a traditional 4 year nursing degree, you would obviously take both lab/practical classes and theory classes, over a 4 year period. The concept behind the CEP is that is runs the classes concurrently over the 2 year period so that you finish the BSN much faster than the traditional route. With the CEP there really is no break for the summer either - you usually will take online classes over the summer period too.

Note, though, that some Universities have a slightly longer schedule and may still have classes for a few months after you complete the community college. You'd have to check with each Uni for specifics. You mentioned you were interested in Ottawa - in general, you will start your online classes with them a semester before you start at the CC. So - let's say you start CC in January 2020, you would start your online classes with Ottawa in the Fall of 2019.

Hence - your first semester (Fall 2019) is only online classes. Then, in January 2020, you will attend the CC in person, and you will have online classes too. The online classes will then be continuous for the next 2 years to keep you on track for a graduation that coincides with the CC completion, which would be December 2022 in the example I gave above. The CC follows a traditional school calendar, so you won't have summer nursing classes.

I can't speak for the other Unis, but Ottawa will work with you if you start to feel overwhelmed and need to take a break from online classes for a while. That will, of course, potentially impact your graduation date from Ottawa, but rather that than burnout from too much on your plate!

Hope this makes sense!

Awesome! Thank you for all the information. I hope you are doing well with the course load and are cruising right on through!

I got my email of acceptance into 2019 summer CEP In February and I just got an email late March if I wanted to accept the RN traditional for fall and last week (april) I got an email if I wanted placement into fall LPN.

i applied to all 3 At GWCC and second pick was GCC mornings. My gpa is 4.0 and almost perfect hesi.

Unless I got lucky and people declined their initial seats or my grades and hesi scores bumped me up in priority.

i ended up going with the CEP GWCC/ASU since all the asu courses are online and I have 86 college credits. Most of the classes required for the CEP via ASU were covered from my 86 credits.

so like I said I’m pretty sure it’s purely based on your scores in terms to you relative waitlist.

12 minutes ago, Nitingale91 said:

I got my email of acceptance into 2019 summer CEP In February and I just got an email late March if I wanted to accept the RN traditional for fall and last week (april) I got an email if I wanted placement into fall LPN.

i applied to all 3 At GWCC and second pick was GCC mornings. My gpa is 4.0 and almost perfect hesi.

Unless I got lucky and people declined their initial seats or my grades and hesi scores bumped me up in priority.

i ended up going with the CEP GWCC/ASU since all the asu courses are online and I have 86 college credits. Most of the classes required for the CEP via ASU were covered from my 86 credits.

so like I said I’m pretty sure it’s purely based on your scores in terms to you relative waitlist.

The CEP acceptance is absolutely based on your scores/GPA/Hesi/Previous degrees. It is competitive entry because it is a very rigorous course. The wait list for the And (without the CEP portion) is waitlisted, and typically takes 18months to 2 years to get a seat. However, there are exceptions based on people dropping out, moving to a different school, and so forth. Occasionally, someone will apply for the traditional ADN and will get a seat very quickly, but that is somewhat rare.

You've definitely chosen the right course though, IMO. The CEP is demanding but you'll graduate with a BSN and I think that will help with future job prospects.

Can you get in the waitlist before the pre request and passing the HESI? For the maricopa nursing program?

2 hours ago, gomezy said:

Can you get in the waitlist before the pre request and passing the HESI? For the maricopa nursing program?

No, unfortunately not. The waitlist is for those students who have completed all the pre-reqs and the HESI (plus a few other things such as finger-print clearance etc). Once you have applied for the ADN you are on the waitlist.

The CEP is an separate application. You can only apply for the CEP if you have applied for the ADN. You can apply for the ADN first, and then while your application is winding its way through the waitlist you can continue working on the additional requirements then apply for the CEP, or you could apply for the ADN and the CEP on the same day - it's up to you.

As long as you meet the minimum requirements for the ADN course, you will eventually get a seat on the program, but it may take 18-24 months. The CEP, however, is competitive - so you will need really good grades (high GPA and great HESI scores) to get a place.

If you have any more questions, just ask. I know it can be a bit confusing!

On 8/23/2018 at 8:31 AM, rac1 said:

NAU gave me (and most classmates) $10,000 our first year just for applying early.

I am applying next spring to CEP with NAU/MCC. Can you please tell me where to look for the NAU scholarships? I have a bunch of pre/co-req's left, but I want to be prepared and get as much financial help as possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have all my pre-reqs completed. did not meet the requirement Hesi score to apply for the CEP. Whats my next step? My score was pretty close to meet the requirements but not competitive. Any advice? Any other nursing schools that will my HESI scores?

Please advice

+ Add a Comment