Does anyone use "SN" in email signatures while a student?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Specializes in ICU.

I was just wondering if anyone uses the SN abbreviation for Student Nurse in email signatures while a student? I currently work as an ER Tech and am in an accelerated BSN program. I was creating my signature and was wondering if I should just leave it as:

John Doe, EMT-B

or if it'd be okay to use:

John Doe, BS, SN, EMT-B

I'm not sure how common that is.

Thanks!

Are you referring to your work e-mail? If so, including your degree and EMT certification might be appropriate. However, including SN is not appropriate and should not be included.

Specializes in ICU.
Are you referring to your work e-mail? If so, including your degree and EMT certification might be appropriate. However, including SN is not appropriate and should not be included.

Yeah work email. I've seen the SN thing before, I wasn't sure if it was commonly used.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

Given student nurse is not your role in the workplace setting I would stick to your current role/certifications in your work e-mail. It is appropriate to include the student nurse (though not EMT / work role) in your school e-mail.

Specializes in PICU.

SN is a role, not really a certification or a position. I would not include it. If it was a school email, maybe.

You should not include BS unless you have that degree. If you have that degree, include it.

Specializes in ICU.
SN is a role, not really a certification or a position. I would not include it. If it was a school email, maybe.

You should not include BS unless you have that degree. If you have that degree, include it.

Thank you. Yes I have a bachelors and am now working on my second bachelors (ABSN program).

Only when contacting my professors, nothing for outside of school.

I personally wouldn't use it either, though in the past I thought about using it in email exchanges with my professors. If you used SN, I don't think anyone will be impressed; at worst, I could see people thinking you're an up-nosed nursing student using a made up title to distinguish yourself.

I'd just wait until you passed the NCLEX - then you can use your degree, licenses, and professional nursing certifications all you like!

Specializes in Neuro.

SN is ONLY for school/clinical experiences.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.

We were always told to use the designation 'student nurse" because SN could be mistaken for staff nurse

Specializes in Emergency Room, CEN, TCRN.

My school uses the abbreviation "NS#" with # being the school year we're in. I'm actually doing my clinicals for this quarter in a different department at my workplace, and as such sometimes I have to use my work email for school purposes, so I've added NS4 to my e-mail signature there.

+ Add a Comment