reactivating NJ RN license

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Has anyone reactivated their RN NJ license? I originally took my boards in NJ, thinking that is where I was going to work, but I could not find any jobs. I then moved to CT and when it was time to renew my NJ license, I put it to inactive status thinking that was going to be easier to reactivate when I moved back home, instead of letting it expire. I have since moved to TX, and still have a TX license. I now want to move back to NJ to be with my family, and am looking into reactivating my NJ license. It looks like I have to retake the NCLEX or take a refresher coorifice, since it has been more than 5 years. Does anyone know if that is true, since I have been practicing since I left NJ, and have always had an active license in other states.

Haven't tried, but had been looking at reciprocity. Looks like it's just an application and fee as long as the license was in good standing. https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nur/Applications/Reactivation-of-an-Inactive-License-Application.pdf

I do not see anywhere on the application form where you can transfer the license from your current state license through reciprocity.

See # 12 "Provide written veri cation of licensure in good standing from the state in which you were originally licensed, or are currently licensed, and from every state in which you have ever been licensed."

This will show that you have been practicing on good terms in another state while your license was inactive in NJ

https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nur/applications/rn-and-lpn-licensure-by-endorsement.pdf

But this is stated at the top of the instruction form:

If you previously held a nursing license in New Jersey, DO NOT complete an endorsement application. You must contact the Renewal/Reinstatement Department in order to complete the Application for Reinstatement.

I previously had a NJ license, so I cannot apply through endorsement or reciprocity.

So, I've been curious about this all day and wondering why an individual state would require you to re-sit for the NCLEX which is a national exam. I came across this article and even though you are not a new grad, it had a lot of helpful advice for moving your RN license from one state to another, especially since you have been practicing with a valid license in another state. There is also contact information at New Jersey Board of Nursing's reactivation staff member (MODERATOR EDIT OF NAME) at (973) 273-8030 for support with this process.

Good luck!

The NCLEX and Moving Between States - An Easy Guide - The EasyNCLEX Blog

You're not going to have to retake the NCLEX. You can apply to reactivate your original NJ RN license. If you are currently licensed in TX, and have been working as an RN during your absence

Instructions for Reinstatement of a Lapsed License (Opens PDF)

@City-Girl--Yes, I thought the same thing, why would I have to take the NCLEX again? There is no way I'm taking that test again. I will work in another state before I have to take it again. Thanks for the staff member's number. I'm going to call them.

@chare--oh thank you! I hope this is the form I can use. I was getting so mad thinking I would have to do a refresher coorifice or take the NCLEX again.

@chare--oh thank you! I hope this is the form I can use. I was getting so mad thinking I would have to do a refresher coorifice or take the NCLEX again.

A refresher course is usually only required when one has let her license lapse AND has not been working anywhere else during a given number of years (varies from state to state). Never heard of having to re-take NCLEX though. Sure don't blame you for wanting to avoid doing that!

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.
So, I've been curious about this all day and wondering why an individual state would require you to re-sit for the NCLEX which is a national exam. I came across this article and even though you are not a new grad, it had a lot of helpful advice for moving your RN license from one state to another, especially since you have been practicing with a valid license in another state. There is also contact information at New Jersey Board of Nursing's reactivation staff member Sameerah Bond at (973) 273-8030 for support with this process.

Good luck!

The NCLEX and Moving Between States - An Easy Guide - The EasyNCLEX Blog

A registered nurse does not "move" their license. When you apply to another state for a license you get another license. You can have a license in as many states as you are willing to pay fees and meet CEU requirements.

I have been through this application process. You do not need to re take your NCLEX.  You must contact Sameerah Bond with the NN state Board of Nursing at 973-273-8030 to obtain the necessary paperwork.  It is very difficult to find this information on-line.  

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

2023 Updated NJ Nursing: Instructions for Reactivation of an Inactive License

Further contact:

New Jersey Office of the Attorney General
Division of Consumer Affairs
New Jersey Board of Nursing
124 Halsey Street, 6th Floor, P.O. Box 45010
Newark, New Jersey 07101
(973) 504-6430
www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nursing/

+ Add a Comment