Feel guilty about turning down a job offer as a new grad?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello, I graduated last month and passed the NCLEX a few weeks ago.

You may remember that I posted a question regarding a job offer I received -- they offered me a per diem position with no benefits and no incentive for being per diem. I declined the offer.

More recently, I interviewed and was offered a position at an outpatient interventional pain clinic, so mostly steroid injections. It is a small, independent physician owned practice. I would cover pre-op and PACU (but nothing is critical). The schedule is great and pay is decent, however I am not convinced it's the best place for a new grad to start. I feel unfilled, like that wasn't the reason I got into nursing. It's just a lot of IV insertions in pre-op, then the patient's come out to the PACU awake. Only one bed.

Should I feel guilty about not wanting it?

Thank you.

Edit: worth mentioning that I do not currently have any other offers, though I do have some applications out. I am lucky to not being in dire need for a job, though I would like one of course.

You may remember that I posted a question regarding a job offer I received -- they offered me a per diem position with no benefits and no incentive for being per diem. I declined the offer.

More recently, I interviewed and was offered a position at an outpatient interventional pain clinic, so mostly steroid injections. It is a small, independent physician owned practice. I would cover pre-op and PACU (but nothing is critical). The schedule is great and pay is decent, however I am not convinced it's the best place for a new grad to start. I feel unfilled, like that wasn't the reason I got into nursing. It's just a lot of IV insertions in pre-op, then the patient's come out to the PACU awake. Only one bed.

Thank you.

Edit: worth mentioning that I do not currently have any other offers, though I do have some applications out. I am lucky to not being in dire need for a job, though I would like one of course.

I really don't understand the question.

I am guessing you are new to the work force. The wayi t works is that if you find a job that is a good fit, you take it. If it is not a good fit, don't take it.

Guilt is not a component in the equation.

There are certainly things you could do that should cause you to feel guilty. For example, if you lie, or do something unethical, you should feel guilty. Declining a job offer is not in this category.

I really don't understand the question.

I am guessing you are new to the work force. The wayi t works is that if you find a job that is a good fit, you take it. If it is not a good fit, don't take it.

Guilt is not a component in the equation.

There are certainly things you could do that should cause you to feel guilty. For example, if you lie, or do something unethical, you should feel guilty. Declining a job offer is not in this category.

Hi, I guess it's not so much as a question but more so wanting to hash it out. I feel guilty turning it down because I know as a new grad, I should feel fortunate that I was offered a job in general, let alone one with a nice schedule. I get what you're saying though and that does make sense. Thank you!

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

So you did turn down the job?

If you didn't feel like it was a good fit for you, and you aren't in desperate

need for a job right now... then don't sweat it.

The longer you wait after graduating and passing NCLEX to accept a job,

the less hireable you become, possibly... so.. think long and hard about

each offer after this. :)

So you did turn down the job?

If you didn't feel like it was a good fit for you, and you aren't in desperate

need for a job right now... then don't sweat it.

The longer you wait after graduating and passing NCLEX to accept a job,

the less hireable you become, possibly... so.. think long and hard about

each offer after this. :)

Hi, I have not declined the offer, but likely will tomorrow. I just don't see myself being fulfilled and happy going to work everyday. Like, I don't feel like I am doing worthwhile work putting my degree to it's full potential. I want to like it, but I don't think it's where I want to start as a new grad ultimately.

Definitely want to find a job sooner rather than later and have taken a long time to consider offers, I just can't commit to something that doesn't feel right.

Thanks for your reply!

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

There are far more critical thinking skill to this job

Vascular access, periproceedure assessment

Recovering pacu

With these procedures, there are several potential complications.....

As managing a spinal headache....

Resp. Depression

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.
Hi, I have not declined the offer, but likely will tomorrow. I just don't see myself being fulfilled and happy going to work everyday. Like, I don't feel like I am doing worthwhile work putting my degree to it's full potential. I want to like it, but I don't think it's where I want to start as a new grad ultimately.

Definitely want to find a job sooner rather than later and have taken a long time to consider offers, I just can't commit to something that doesn't feel right.

Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by feeling fulfilled? I thought I would be fulfilled by working in acute care & so couldn't be further from the truth.

You're not looking dragging a fine toothed comb & going through all the possibilities of each job.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

No need to feel guilty for turning down a job offer. Do you think employers feel guilty for not offering you a job? As long as you don't need a job you can afford to be a little choosy, but only a little. The longer you go after graduation without working the harder it will be to find any job much less your "perfect" job. After awhile of being unemployed following graduation employers are going to start wondering if there is something wrong with you that you can't seem to find a job, so be a little careful here or your choosiness might come back to haunt you.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

I would cover pre-op and PACU (but nothing is critical). The schedule is great and pay is decent, however I am not convinced it's the best place for a new grad to start. I feel unfilled, like that wasn't the reason I got into nursing. It's just a lot of IV insertions in pre-op, then the patient's come out to the PACU awake. Only one bed.

Thank you.

/QUOTE]

I think you are not considering all the skill/knowledge that this job requires. It seems that you think it is not a good fit for a new grad because you will be unfilled. I would be more concerned about you not being a good fit with no past experience. Do you think you will be ready for the type of emergencies that will happen (PACU). Even with only one bed things can, and will, happen. Only you can answer the question where you should work but just consider everything. If you feel safe at this job then maybe take it for now and see how it goes, but no you should not feel guilty for not wanting it. Your choice!

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

We can all debate the finer points of this job offer. Maybe it would be great for a new grad, just not you. If there was a dearth of jobs for new grads then it would be a good idea to grab this offer. But if you're feeling no urgency, then the best thing you can do is go with your gut. If your gut isn't grooving on this job offer, then politely decline.

First of all congratulations and welcome to the nursing profession! I'm amazed that someone offered a new grad a per diem job. Highly unusual. As for turning down a job...don't sweat it. I am curious though. Are the jobs you're turning down exactly what you applied for? Or are you applying for one position and they're offering you something else?

Apply only for positions you really want. And if that's not what they offer, reiterate what you applied for and are genuinely interested in. If they can't offer that, respectfully decline and keep it moving. Lose the guilt though. It's not going to serve you in your search or in your new profession. Good luck in you search.

Just do what is best for you. Do not feel guilty for not choosing something that is not what you want to do in life. Choose well and you will be happy.

+ Add a Comment