Ohio BON Restricting FNP Practice

Specialties NP

Published

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

Yowza. Practicing outside of their boarded specialty isn't going to fly anymore. I'm hoping more states adopt stringent positions on this especially for those attempting to work solely in psych without the certification.

This had me eye rolling, talk about the fox guarding the hen house:

From page 3-4.

https://oaapn.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Memorandum_OBON_Advisory_Committtee.pdf

"Several APRN Advisory Committee members state that once a CNP is licensed,

the hospital/employer should have the discretion to determine the acuity and

complexity of patient conditions that a CNP may evaluate and manage,

regardless of graduate education and national certification. They believe the

Board should not play any role after the APRN is nationally certified and licensed"

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.
Yowza. Practicing outside of their boarded specialty isn't going to fly anymore. I'm hoping more states adopt stringent positions on this especially for those attempting to work solely in psych without the certification.

This had me eye rolling, talk about the fox guarding the hen house:

From page 3-4.

https://oaapn.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Memorandum_OBON_Advisory_Committtee.pdf

"Several APRN Advisory Committee members state that once a CNP is licensed,

the hospital/employer should have the discretion to determine the acuity and

complexity of patient conditions that a CNP may evaluate and manage,

regardless of graduate education and national certification. They believe the

Board should not play any role after the APRN is nationally certified and licensed"

If they honestly believed that, then they would advocate for a single broad scale nurse practitioner certification that shares a similar science and clinical expertise requirement as a pa program. Past that, NPs need to start to be honest with themselves about their career education choices and fall in line.

OBON Pursues Additional Regulation of Primary Care NPs - OAAPN

I think we will see more and more of this.

I think we will see more of this, because I read the entire OBON statement linked in the OAAPN release, and all the OBON is talking about is implementing the so-called "Consensus Model," which was hammered out and agreed to by the larger nursing community and stakeholders. I'm no fan of the Consensus Model (which is what led to my psych CNS credential getting scrapped, and, guess what?, I'm still ticked off about that), but it is what it is, and it's what everyone (else) agreed on. I don't have a problem with people being restricted to practicing in the specific area in which they have been educated.

Specializes in Neurology, Psychology, Family medicine.

It's about time. If you want to be a generalist should have went PA. Or get the acute care certification. Average PA program is 100+ credit. Average masters fnp is 47-52. Add on acute care certification is roughly 1-1.5 yr 25-30 credits. An FNP is at the end of the day missing the education which is easily identified in a ciriculum or syllabus audit. Seems logical to prevent them from practicing in something they were not trained for. So wrap up is an FNP does not belong in the hospital, can not wait for this to start disseminating across the country.

Specializes in NICU.
Specializes in NICU.
I think we will see more of this, because I read the entire OBON statement linked in the OAAPN release, and all the OBON is talking about is implementing the so-called "Consensus Model," which was hammered out and agreed to by the larger nursing community and stakeholders. I'm no fan of the Consensus Model (which is what led to my psych CNS credential getting scrapped, and, guess what?, I'm still ticked off about that), but it is what it is, and it's what everyone (else) agreed on. I don't have a problem with people being restricted to practicing in the specific area in which they have been educated.

Curious on the background of the psych CNS, why did they scrap it?

NYS Nurse Practitioner Laws. NYS Nursing:Practice Information:FAQ

Can a nurse practitioner (NP) diagnose illnesses and prescribe treatments for all persons?

Answer: The New York State Education Department (SED) certifies each NP to practice one or more specialty areas. The NP may diagnose illnesses and prescribe treatment for patients only within the specialty practice area(s) for which the NP is certified by SED. The NP must also be personally competent to provide the professional service.

​Can a Geriatric Nurse Practitioner take a job as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner if s/he has years of pediatric nursing experience as a registered professional nurse?

Answer: No. The nurse practitioner must be certified by the New York State Education Department to practice in the specialty area of Pediatrics in order to practice as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner.

So arbitrary. FNPs practice in more acute care settings than ACNPs. If the goal is to align specialties then there needs to be more available specialty programs available to rural areas and it needs to be set with the same deadline as DNP requirements. The consensus model is a urban myth where I live and practice - maybe the next generation will deal with that along with the for profit NP factories, but I doubt it impacts me in the near future.

So arbitrary. FNPs practice in more acute care settings than ACNPs. If the goal is to align specialties then there needs to be more available specialty programs available to rural areas and it needs to be set with the same deadline as DNP requirements. The consensus model is a urban myth where I live and practice - maybe the next generation will deal with that along with the for profit NP factories, but I doubt it impacts me in the near future.

Urban myth until your state clamps down. You likely will be allowed to continue if the right circumstances present in their approach, but you are still operating outside of your scope and are a technical liability in that capacity.

Practicing in a specialty that aligns with NONE of your clinical hours or education. Makes sense. In the Seattle area, more and more hospital based jobs specifically state ACNP preferred...wonder why.

+ Add a Comment