What is your academic calendar and what state are you in?

Specialties School

Published

Just curious with so many of us from all over.

I am in MA, public charter school.

2017-2018 Staff dates 8/1/17-6/22/18 Students 8/10/17-6/21/18

2018-2019 Staff dates 8/6/18-6/14/18 Students 8/16/18-6/12/19

Specializes in Peds.

I am super jealous of these calendars that I am seeing posted. My students start 08/27/2018 and end on 06/07/2019. Staff starts 08/16/18 and end 06/12/2019. We are always here a week before and at least one week after the students.

I am super jealous of these calendars that I am seeing posted. My students start 08/27/2018 and end on 06/07/2019. Staff starts 08/16/18 and end 06/12/2019. We are always here a week before and at least one week after the students.

What do you do for the week after? We come in 7 days before kids to set up and track down physicals and immunization records and medication forms and stuff before the school year but I have never had a problem having my office all shut down by the time the students leave on the last day

So how does that stack up against your state's labor laws for mandated OT?

I honestly have no idea. Our teachers are already contracted to work 50 hours per week since we are a Charter school with an extended school day. Regular hours for teachers are 7:05-4:45.

I honestly have no idea. Our teachers are already contracted to work 50 hours per week since we are a Charter school with an extended school day. Regular hours for teachers are 7:05-4:45.

So I just looked at the list in MA for people "exempt" from OT laws and it says "anyone employed in a non-profit school" so I guess they get around paying OT and are able to contract teachers for 50 hour weeks. It sucks. I am so glad I am not a teacher here, my hours are dreamy compared to theirs.

Specializes in School nursing.

I work similar hours to teachers at my school. Usually 7-4 or 7:30-4:30.

Specializes in kids.

We usually start the week before Labor day on Mon, the Frosh on Wed and the rest on Thurs. Then we go thru till 180 days is met...early-mid June if no snow days, June 20 (kids) and 21 (us) this year with 10 snow days and extra professional devt time added on. I'm so ready

I work similar hours to teachers at my school. Usually 7-4 or 7:30-4:30.

Next Fall I am doing 8-2:30 and the following year they want me 7:05-4:45. Not sure if I will stay after that since those hours are really hard for me with kids.

Specializes in School nursing.
Next Fall I am doing 8-2:30 and the following year they want me 7:05-4:45. Not sure if I will stay after that since those hours are really hard for me with kids.

I don't have kids so those hours work for me admittedly. But it is still a very long day, often without a break.

Ugg one week after the students are done? What do you do? I know teachers can use that time - we always have teachers moving classrooms and many of them end up coming on their own time to do it.

We get out on the 1st this year but staff need to work on Saturday the 2nd - I am usually bored out of my mind - my office is closed up for the summer by 3pm on the last day of students - I usually sit around for 8 hours on that required work day or I am up in the front office helping with whatever needs to be done to close down for the summer.

NJ students in my area always start after labor day and they go until 6/21 this year. They lost 3 days of their spring break due to snow days.

Specializes in School Nurse.

Maryland. Our district runs "day after labor day" to "mid june" The state requires 180 days (not uncommon) and leaves it up to the district to figure out how to do that. Seniors get out the last week in May (ours had Thursday) as the last day. Our district puts 185 days in the schedule for students (to cover inclement weather cancellations). That's my schedule (technically, I only work when the kids are in attendence). The teachers have ten more days as there are a few "in service" days they work without the students present and they have a few days before and after the school year they are required to work.

+ Add a Comment