Rant time!

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I had some students come in, because there as incident in class. They were all in a line and some students were pushing, causing 3 students to fall on each other. They came to my office and I informed their parents. 2 of the parents were upset because they say their student is always bullied in school and they are always getting hurt. I don't know much about the students, all I know is their injuries. I explain this to the parents and tell them that if they have an issue they can talk to the admins about it.

I was told to call back later that it was an accident by my AP, which I did. One parent said this is the last year here because they are always bullied and that last time he broke his arm and she was not satisfied with my service because he was in a cast for 2 months and I didn't tell her.

I told her if she has an issue then she can talk to our admins about the situation and withdraw him if she likes. I just hung up on her.

First of all, I did inform the parent, twice. She told me just to give him ice and send him back, because his arm looked normal, but he was in pain and he he claimed he couldn't move it (even though he could pick up things). This student is known to exaggerate his injuries, so I didn't think twice about it. I send him back and he came back again, with the same complaint. I informed mother and asked her to pick him up, she was hesitant but she did. Then later found out he broke his arm. I reported his injury to my AP the first time he came, but I didn't hear about any bullying from anyone!

So I'm just a bit peeved that this parent is blaming me for her child's injuries.

Rant over.

Specializes in CPN.

Ugh. I feel you! I've had a parent recently saying she wouldn't bring asthma medication to school because I call her too much and therefore she doesn't trust me. Never mind that I'm only calling her when her kid is having symptoms and I don't have medicine to give him. SMH

Specializes in School Nurse.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26895[/ATTACH]

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.
Ugh. I feel you! I've had a parent recently saying she wouldn't bring asthma medication to school because I call her too much and therefore she doesn't trust me. Never mind that I'm only calling her when her kid is having symptoms and I don't have medicine to give him. SMH

You are free to use this. Call the nearest ambo department, ask for ETA to your facility then compile the following:

Dear Mrs. Snowflake, I am requesting an inhaler for dear snowflake. Be advised that EMS is X minutes away and the brain can survive four minutes tops without oxygen. I prefer to have as many tools at my disposal as possible to make for an acceptable outcome for both of us. Signed HeatMiser R.N.

It's just a stupid threat, which I don't care about honestly. I worked in retail for 8 years before becoming a CMA and it's the same threat you hear, "I'm NEVER shopping here again!" And it's like, okay, don't care. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Some parents will complain no matter what you do. When you don't call, you should have called; when you call, you call too often; when the kid is broken, it's your fault; when they're not broken, also your fault. This is very much a Bye, Felicia situation!

Some parents will complain no matter what you do. When you don't call, you should have called; when you call, you call too often; when the kid is broken, it's your fault; when they're not broken, also your fault. This is very much a Bye, Felicia situation!

Yeah exactly. I'm not hung up on it, I just don't want to be thrown under the bus just because she wants to blame someone.

Specializes in Varied.

Bless you guys.

+ Add a Comment