not sure what to do

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I ended up taking a job, with a significant cut in pay and I don't like it at all, no clinical stuff (which is my forte'), alot of boring desk work, some in home regulatory visits. The office is dry... by that I mean no music, no chatting, except at lunch, no pictures on the wall... the plants are pretty but fake. My territory is huge, I have some patients it might take me 2 hrs one way to see. To top it off, tonight on my personal phone I got a call from a patients family member (I was never told patients would be given personal info), so I don't like the job... the only plus is the workday is short but it feels like 16 hrs. So my question: should I try to stick it out through the 90 day orientation and try to make it work or wait until then to leave? Should I leave and look for another job? Or stay and leave until I find another job? When I was interviewed I was led to believe I'd have one type of client, turns out I mainly have another that are overseen by another private vendor I really want no association with (relative worked there and I know the dirty laundry), anyway should I suck it up be happy to have a job and be unhappy, or try to find something else? I keep thinking of going to grad school. Whining done.

Find another job, then quit. No point in waiting the 90 days if you hate it.

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

Oh. ****. No. They gave out your personal cell number??!? That speaks volumes... 1) that they can't be trusted... are they going to give your home number too, so you can receive calls in the middle of the night...or after you quit? Are they going to give your home address too, so that clients can find you after you block their number (because they don't have your permission to call you on it)? and 2) They don't care two bits about client privacy, if they encourage them to call a NON-SECURE cell phone.

If you would hurt financially, I would stick it out until you secure other employment. Ordinarily I would have an issue with costing them $$$ when you have no intention to stay... but in this case, it's the least they can do for abusing your PERSONAL contact info.

If you're independently wealthy and work because you want to, I'd leave STAT. And then cite the above issues as your reason.

Seriously. They crossed the San Andreas fault line (as opposed to a typical line) when giving out your personal info.

thats it, I feel guilty for them investing in me when I think I won't be there long, I didn't mention earlier that orientation is worse than bad, there is no structure or even explanation, I mean its basically non-existent. The phone number is a huge issue for me. I hope to get clarify today, if its expected for me to use my own phone... BTW, I apologize if the initial post was scattered I was tired and I'm really struggling with this. I WISH I was independently wealthy,lol.

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

Honestly if they expect you to be reachable by phone, they should issue a company phone -- with expectations that it will be on during work hours and paid on-call hours ONLY.

It didn't occur to me last night when I posted, but I would also be wary of HIPAA issues with having pt contact info, texts, or voicemails on my personal device.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Nah. Move on. They would not waste an iota of guilt on you were they feeling about you the way you are about them. The probation/orientation period is for BOTH sides to decide if this is a good fit. It isn't. It is okay to move on.

The phone issue is legit. I'd bring it up to others and see if that happens regularly.

But the bit about the office being dry... I mean, you could bring in a picture to spice things up.

And a cactus. Those are easy desk plants.

And a cactus. Those are easy desk plants.

Which you can then use to beat over the head of who ever gave out your personal cell phone number.

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

Personal phone number... Ughhh! I used to do home health, and I WOULD

give patients my private number (no company issued phones), but after

dealing with a couple of patients who would abuse that privilege...

including one who would call me at like 2am... I stopped giving my number

out and just started telling patients to call the on call number so that

they can get the on call nurse, NOT me.

Well, one day, one of the physical therapists gave my number to a

particularly annoying patient, WITHOUT my permission. I was LIVID.

Anyhoo... if you hate the job, quit. Especially if you aren't even out of

orientation.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the job in the first place?

Find another job then put your notice in and get out of there.

+ Add a Comment